Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

Thing and Fred being "re-evaluated for opening" ?

It's been a couple weeks since the El Nino storms hit. Went out riding with some buddies today. Found Thing Valley Rd. gate closed at Sunrise Highway. Also found Fred Canyon Rd. gate closed at the campground at Kitchen Creek Rd. Upper Pine Creek Rd. Gate is also closed.

Got back home and checked out the Forest road closure page and it says both Thing and Fred are closed and "to be re-evaluated for opening." I wonder what this means?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5340229

IMG_3388_zpsztlwwtte.jpg

IMG_3389_zpscahtr0eq.jpg

Bummer I was thinking about heading that way tomorrow morning change of plans now

That just means those gates will be closed till summer time when it's 105 degrees.

It means they are closed and will probably never be reopened. Lots of gates like that around SD that didn't used to be closed......

They always close Thing, Kitchen, Filaree Flats, and others when the road bed is soft. Some of those have a ride-around for horses (bikes).

It's most likely due to muddy conditions.

You should join San Diego Off Road Coalition so u can stay informed and learn about these things...it's well worth the $25 a year.

And if everyone could please kindly put in a call to your local congress chairperson to in hopes to get some these other gates east county unlocked . before the trails get put on the decommission list.

Just so u know, there is a process that the agencies have to go thru to close trails, including public comment periods.

Most people never know about these comment periods unless they follow all the different issues on different websites. The best way to stay aware of what's happening is by being a member of CORVA and SDORC.

They cannot just close trails whenever they want, unless it's temporary.

The only agency who's been able to close dirt roads and trails without going thru the normal process is Homeland Security/Border Patrol.

Since I got here in 2013 Thing Valley on the Sunrise side has been closed every winter, the gate on the other side of Thing has always been closed and I've been told that's to keep people from bypassing the BP checkpoint out on the 8. My guess is to keep the Yahoos from tearing it up when it gets wet. Same for the other gates up there. I'm guessing that's why the Pamo Road gate is closed as well.

Since I got here in 2013 Thing Valley on the Sunrise side has been closed every winter, the gate on the other side of Thing has always been closed and I've been told that's to keep people from bypassing the BP checkpoint out on the 8. My guess is to keep the Yahoos from tearing it up when it gets wet. Same for the other gates up there. I'm guessing that's why the Pamo Road gate is closed as well.

+1 It's not unusual for the gates to be closed during the winter, especially prior to a storm when a warning is in effect. From what I've been told in the past by a ranger, the forestry is under pressure to comply with Calif. water quality rules, and they want to control those routes to minimize rutting and loosening of soil on the roads when they are wet. It probably keeps the road maintenance to a minimum for them as well.