Sign in to follow this  
karlaeda

Anza Borrego Mountain Biking

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be heading out to Anza Borrego on Saturday with the intention to ride my mountain bike. I never got to explore AB that much on my motorized vehicle :)

Is anybody into biking or knows AB fairly well? Can somebody recommend a route please?

We are not that hot on climbing a lot due to being out shape and all. No car off-roading here either so the road must be somewhat accessible via a regular sedan.

​We are camping at Butterfield Ranch on Friday night and hitting the trails on Saturday.

I was thinking of the following options:

Option a) From the Split Mountain Rd. to Wind Caves.

Option B) S2 to the Mud Caves.

Option c) Somewhere around Blair Valley, I don't know the routes there at all.

Option d) Somewhere In the canyons East of Borrego Springs.

Thank you for any input!

Good morning, the mountain bike routes are few and far between due to soft sand and cactus (translate - tubes and patch kits in abundance). You made note of a sedan. If that sedan is your support vehicle (that could go the long way around and meet you at the end), and you are also riding with some buds, shuttles work great, For "out n backs" or "lolypop loops" with elevation, any soft sand will turn into a "hike a bike".

My favorites are Pinyon, get dropped off at S2 and picked up at the split mountain entrance, it is only 20 something miles. The initial first mile climb has some soft stuff, but you can often ride in wheel tracks (not motorcycle, but the most compacted jeep tracks) on the way up. Across the top and down heart attack and down to wind caves can be super fun, like downhill skiing. The cool thing about your inquiry today, is that the only time it can be enjoyable is after a big-time rain - coin-ki-dink.

Another route is to get dropped of at paso picacho (hiway 79) near stonewall peak, head north east on a great singletrack until you hit S1, cut across to Mason truck trail, head down and get picked up either in Banner or on S2.

The other fun one (you will need to check on legaleze issues?? as you deem needed) but either park in ocotillo and do an "up and down" / "out n back" or simply a shuttle to drop down from jacumba to ocotillo by way of tunnels and trestles to the water tower and then a spin over to ocotillo.

The other routes you mentioned simply vary dependent upon rain, weather, and the compactedness of the route. It is hit and miss. Sometimes, if you are lucky with your timing, the rain picks up a bit of mud that mixes with the sand and creates a thin layer of compactedness after a good sunny exposure that will actually support bicycle weight a bit that will let you roll, but avoid the thin layer of goo if not hardened yet or you will spend a fair amount of time finding sticks to dig out the mud goo on your chain rings and your brakes (not fun).

Have a great time, if you find another route, please send me a PM later of your experience. cheers.

Pinyon??? Seems like A LOT of sand to me. Not real fun MTB'ing if you ask me. Especially if you are not a total stud like Goofyfooter and Kug... ;)

Thanks, everybody - we ended up riding S2 to Mud Caves after staying at the Butterfield Ranch last weekend. Conditions were perfect!

Going to check out Pinion next after next rains.

How are the canyons and washes looking after the rains ?

Pretty much hard pack all across the washes and canyons. Really good traction and fairly easy to pedal.

Action shot of "KUG" in action

12573094_10153954018062962_1634102900087

The Challenge has been removed!

IMG_1401_zpsblmygkt9.jpg

Action shot of "KUG" in action

12573094_10153954018062962_1634102900087

Man that chunk above your head isn't holding on by much .

My son evaluated taking that route in his Rubicon but thought he'd end up with some body/roof scrapes. Based on the tire rubs, others have.