bikeslut

Are motorcycles dangerous?

This came up the other day, talking motorcycles with a friend...

he said "they're dangerous, no wonder you have so many scars and broken bones"

To which I said:

broken elbow- skateboard

torn knee cartilege-football

broken ankle-surfing

broken wrist-basketball

broken kneecap (twice)- mountain biking

fractured skull- stupid horseplay around a pool

broken jaw-martial arts

broken chin-basketball

broken toe-drunk/table

broken neck-bicycle

dislocated shoulder-football

dislocated rib-mountain biking

dislocated finger-basketball

broken nose (seven times)- fight, bicycle, trampoline, fight, football, skateboard, hammer (not Craig...an actual hammer)

see anything missing? That's right... no motorcycle induced broken bones (I did need 8 stitches when my foot slipped off the kick starter)

My point is: is motorcycling inherently dangerous?

I say "no"... I just jinxed myself, huh?

... I just jinxed myself, huh?

I prefer to live in denial, so we just won't think about it.

broken nose... hammer (not Craig...an actual hammer)

I don't get it, what's the difference :lol:

Motorcycles arte only inheriently dangerous to those who make them so by doing stupid human tricks on motorcycles (like me ;) )

broken maxilla - motorcycle racing

crushed acromialclavicular bursa and torn pec - motorcycle sliding

strained levatorscapulae and cervical vertebrae - motorcycle dis-mount headstand (you gotta see the video)

No, motorcycles are like guns; they're safe. It's the people that are dangerous ;) Oh....and everything that a person can hit after falling off of one (or even not necessarily falling off) is dangerous :lol:

Motorcycles are not dangerous, ;):lol: it is the sudden stops in awkward positions that is dangerous. :) Must be why my knee hurts. ;)

Why do so many ordinary people enjoy rollercoasters? It's the adrenaline rush, coming right to the edge of the abyss and then rolling to a graceful stop, unbuckling your seatbelt, climbing out of the car, and getting right back in line to do it all over again! Danger is fun when you push yourself as far as you can go and live to tell the story! :lol: YES THEY ARE!

The Doc

8 broken ribs, punctured lung, bruised up liver and kidneys, and a concussion. I was in 6th grade and it was my first time on a real motorcycle, you know, the kind with gears and stuff like that. My neighbor was dumb enough to let me ride his bike, and I was cocky enough to think that I had everything figured out by looking at bikes and watching other people ride them. I did pretty good. Making it go fast and shifting up through the gears was no problem at all. It was slowing down and turning that turned out to be kinda tricky. Witnesses said I superman'ed head first into a cement pilar (no helmet of coarse). I was lucky to be alive.

The obvious lesson: You should never ride like a maniac unless you know what your doing. :lol:

Witnesses said I superman'ed head first into a cement pilar (no helmet of coarse). I was lucky to be alive.

The obvious lesson: You should never ride like a maniac unless you know what your doing. :lol:

I think the OBVIUOS lesson is to wear a helmet!

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous :lol2:

Witnesses said I superman'ed head first into a cement pilar (no helmet of coarse).

That explains a LOT :lol2: :bye::lol:

I hate it when people who don't even ride get on the soap box and run their man pleasers about how dangerous bikes are.....I have actually told the guys in my office to STFU many times.

Sure, Risk is a part of it but the enjoyment and the excitement I get from riding far outweigh the negatives for me :lol2:

Living is dangerous. With the proper protective gear motorcycles are no more dangerous than any other activity that involves some risk. You could live a shelttered life not doing anything dangerous and get hit by a bus or have a heart attack that would suck. At least when my time is up I'll know I went out happy doing the things I enjoyed. You've been dying since the day you were born, might as well enjoy the time you have.

It is the rider, not the machine! Problem is with many bad drivers on the road... If you ride at your skill level, are responsible, and cautious, then the risk level is not too bad... And, well some risk in life is fun, we can also get hurt in a car accident, falling on the tub, or from illness...

Many people have a problem with motorcyclists. We get a bad rap. To me, it is unjust. If someone in a family kills self on a motorcycle, then motorcycles are bad, dangerous, stupid, and no more motorcycles in that family. If someone gets kill in a car accident, life goes on... The members of the family continue driving their cars to work... Does not make sense to me.... :bye:

By the way, when my time comes, I rather die in a motorcycle accident than in a hospital bed with a long illness... :lol2: My worst fear is permanent chronic pain or damage due to an accident. Just like my upper back which has been hurting like crazy after my last ride... :lol: Otherwise it's cool! :o

I never broke a bone until I started riding motorcycles at age 30.

It was my very first race ever. I hit a chain link fence post on the REM track at Glen Helen (almost bent the post in half). Broke a finger and a toe, went over the bars and broke my collar bone. I figured something was wrong when I tried to get up and heard a crunching type noise. I crawled to the side of the track and layed there. Then at that moment I was so bummed because I knew I was going to miss the Carlsbad Christmas Grand Prix which was three weeks away.

Six months later, I broke my ankle in two places. Then I seemed to have injuries every six months or so. Broke almost every finger at some point, fractured a few ribs, had a few concussions (one just last April), hyper extended leg, broken arm. I am sure there will be more at some point.

The question is ... Is it worth it? Hell Yeah!

I know my past injuries will bring more pains as I get older. But, I have enjoyed motorcycling so much. It truly did change my life for the better.

I am just rehabing my wrist again after my fifth surgery on it and this injury happened on the ship as amatter o fact all the injuries i've ever had have been on a ship!!!! never had a major injury on a bike so far (knock on wood) o'corse had the road rash when i was young and dumb! but dangerous no way!!!! i was but the bike wasn't. so ship=danger, bike=fun. btw i cant wait to get out there and ride with you guys again as soon as the doc's say i can i'll try and get out there.

ed

I think the sport is dangerous. There is a lot of skill and common sense needed to minimize the danger. There is also quite a bit of luck involved. You can take some pretty amazing spills and get up without a scratch or tip over in the parking lot getting off your bike and limp for 6 months from it.

If it wasn't dangerous every one would be out riding (because it is so darn fun), and everyday riding would be like Thanksgiving at Ocotillo Wells.

I was in Cycle Gear a couple of evenings ago and 3 guys in a row came in limping and I started smiling thinking how much fun riding is, that we would do this to ourselves to enjoy it.

And just a personal observation, the knee is the weak link in our sport.. :lol2: Ken

And, not many other hobbies where you're gonna meet some of the nicest, fun, energetic type people as you do in the motorcycle world. Hell, I might even pull over if I saw a guy on a Harley stuck on the side of the road :lol2:

:bye:

Hell, I might even pull over if I saw a guy on a Harley stuck on the side of the road :lol2:

:lol:

I hope so, It could be me. :bye:

Hell, I might even pull over if I saw a guy on a Harley stuck on the side of the road :lol2:

:lol:

I hope so, It could be me. :P

Seems like those Harley guys never wave back :bye: must be that they are pre-occupied :o:):P

JBT-11.jpg

I think the sport is dangerous. There is a lot of skill and common sense needed to minimize the danger. There is also quite a bit of luck involved. :) Ken

Ah... it makes sense, then... good thing I have common sense, and luck...