EddieEarl

Total ABDSP noob - where is "the squeeze"?

Vet rider, but a total ABDSP noob ... as in never been. I grew up riding in the OW off road park, but now with a plated bike I'd love to explore all the other plated stuff, which I hear everyone calling different things ... Borrego, ADBSP, State Park, etc.

I've seen pictures of a narrow wash (fish creek maybe?) with tall canyon walls, and it looks like you could barely squeeze a car through one section. Is that called "the squeeze"? I'd love to check that out.

I've also seen "fish creek" which looks like a super fun wash, and "pinyon trail".

One last question, we'll be trucking the bikes out from Poway and I'm wondering where the best staging area is for all these types of trails.

I know I just missed a ride last week through all this stuff, but I just couldn't make it out. If anyone has GPS tracks I'd love those, too.

Thanks, guys!

- Troy

Right on - thanks. Great write up. Super cool ride with your son.

I downloaded the gpx track it only seemed to be from Pinyon trailhead down to fish creek.

Where is "Slot Canyon"? I know where Kane springs road is, and I understand how you headed back down the 78 from Borrego, but I don't know where "Slot Canyon" is. Does that get you back to the Pinyon trailhead?

The track I hung in there years ago was a ~135 mile loop. Starting/ending at Pinyon parking area. I'll sit down at a computer later and see if the track was truncated somehow? Slot canyon is near Butte Pass. It'll make sense once you see the whole track

Troy, what day are you planning on going? If I have that day off, I'll lead you through this route.post-15155-0-76895600-1450753449_thumb.j

The track I hung in there years ago was a ~135 mile loop. Starting/ending at Pinyon parking area. I'll sit down at a computer later and see if the track was truncated somehow? Slot canyon is near Butte Pass. It'll make sense once you see the whole track

Just downloaded the .gpx file no problem?!?! All 7 tracks are still there. 01 track goes to Fish Creek. Tracks 02-07 lead you around the rest of the way......

Sand Canyon (Loren's pic above) is a short/dead end spur within Fish Creek.......a worthy side trip......there is NOT a way point set for it in the Anza Loop tracks......here's a link with GPS coordinate: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Sandstone_Canyon

Heading east down The Squeeze towards what used to be called The Drop on Pinion trail.

100_1037.jpg

So, if we take off from this location we don't have to go back up the "dropoff" to get back to the truck, right? Is there a way to circle around a different way back to the car?

Download the tracks........all 7 of'em.....you only looked at track 01.....

You'll be going down the "Drop"/"Heart Attack Hill"........the path to "Diablo Drop-off" is further down in Fish Creek and you will not be riding up or down it......

Just downloaded the .gpx file no problem?!?! All 7 tracks are still there. 01 track goes to Fish Creek. Tracks 02-07 lead you around the rest of the way......

Sand Canyon (Loren's pic above) is a short/dead end spur within Fish Creek.......a worthy side trip......there is NOT a way point set for it in the Anza Loop tracks......here's a link with GPS coordinate: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Sandstone_Canyon

My bad. Found a glitch with my GPS phone app called ViewRanger. It's been tits up till now with this issue here. Your GPX track I downloaded from ADV Rider only showed up as Track 1 in VIewRanger. However, I went to Google Earth and imported the same track and I see the full cycle. Thanks much.

Troy, what day are you planning on going? If I have that day off, I'll lead you through this route.attachicon.gif20141219_104154-1.jpg

Sweet pic.

I was wanting to head out tomorrow - still waiting to hear back from some buddies.

If tomorrow doesn't work we're thinking of Saturday/Sunday just after Christmas.

I'll see if "on any sunday" (Craig) wants to come as well.

Troy, what day are you planning on going? If I have that day off, I'll lead you through this route.attachicon.gif20141219_104154-1.jpg

Well - looks like we're all changing the ride to this weekend - nobody can ride WED. Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

If it all solidifies I'll post a ride notice. We'll probably take off from the Pinyon Trailhead.

Once we hit fish creek we may dip down south a bit to hit the Carrizo stuff, but on the ABDSP trail map it seems to indicate the "diablo drop off" is "one way" and not possible to go over traveling "north to south". True? Not true? Is that a jeep issue and no problem for bikes?

Well - looks like we're all changing the ride to this weekend - nobody can ride WED. Thanks for the help, guys. Much appreciated.

If it all solidifies I'll post a ride notice. We'll probably take off from the Pinyon Trailhead.

Once we hit fish creek we may dip down south a bit to hit the Carrizo stuff, but on the ABDSP trail map it seems to indicate the "diablo drop off" is "one way" and not possible to go over traveling "north to south". True? Not true? Is that a jeep issue and no problem for bikes?

Not sure if there's now signage indicating one way........it's not a big deal to ride "up" Diablo (Much easier up than Heart Attack Hill).......BUT, if you cut over to/up Diablo you'll miss the high canyon walls near the end of Fish Creek several miles short of Split Mtn road........you really don't want t miss that (IMHO) if you've never been through it....very scenic......save Diablo for when you head back out on another ride and start/end at some southern point..........because if you go up Diablo you're going to be screwed with a lot of pavement and/or a lot of miles to get back to the Pinyon parking area........

Another thing to consider, if you decided to ride east and or south toward Carrizo wash once you exit Fish Creek, is fuel range. The closest fuel is going to be Borrego Springs, which you will be riding away from at that point.....just FYI. And there are a couple options for routes returning to the starting point from there.

This weekend I could be in.

Sweet. We're shooting for Sunday at this point. If we go I'll post it here ... will be an "advanced" ride ... fast pace.

Another thing to consider, if you decided to ride east and or south toward Carrizo wash once you exit Fish Creek, is fuel range. The closest fuel is going to be Borrego Springs, which you will be riding away from at that point.....just FYI. And there are a couple options for routes returning to the starting point from there.

Great point. I've got the 4.1 Acerbis with a 200 mile range for my EXC but my buddies have about a 100 mile range on their 450x's. Do you think it would be better to trailhead farther south at Carrizo and start there? We could ride north through the washes, and up through OW to Borrego for food & gas, then up and around like Crawdaddy's track (I think that was Font point - seemed like a killer viewpoint) over to Pinyon, then "up and over" to Fish Creek and back down to the starting trailhead at Carrizo. Is that biting off more than we can chew you think?

Great point. I've got the 4.1 Acerbis with a 200 mile range for my EXC but my buddies have about a 100 mile range on their 450x's. Do you think it would be better to trailhead farther south at Carrizo and start there? We could ride north through the washes, and up through OW to Borrego for food & gas, then up and around like Crawdaddy's track (I think that was Font point - seemed like a killer viewpoint) over to Pinyon, then "up and over" to Fish Creek and back down to the starting trailhead at Carrizo. Is that biting off more than we can chew you think?

Quit f'n around and just start/end at Pinyon per the track set :big_boss: - ha! Twist the throttle, follow the doted line, and smile.......bitches :axehead::heh::coolio:

Quit f'n around and just start/end at Pinyon per the track set :big_boss: - ha! Twist the throttle, follow the doted line, and smile.......bitches :axehead::heh::coolio:

Well it looks like somebody didn't have their coffee yet! LOL!

post-15780-0-94676300-1450894227_thumb.j

Seriously thought, thanks for the tracks.

This weekend I could be in.

Sweet. We're shooting for Sunday at this point. If we go I'll post it here ... will be an "advanced" ride ... fast pace.

Let my know.I can usually keep up.I have the 3.2 gallon tank. I rode from Pinion 3 weeks ago and Carrizo last week.

Like Chris said, start and end at Pinyon....it's about 100 miles. I had to go on reserve last time Chris and I rode it and I'm running a 3.2 Acerbis.