Bluhdow

KTM vs. DRZ + YZ

I'm not dead-set on anything. But the WRs can only be plated up until 2002, no? Is there much of a weight difference between the WR and KTM?

No. All WRs can be plated.

No. KTM lists empty dry weights. Yamaha lists wet weights, meaning ready to ride. The difference will be within 5 pounds. That 5 pounds could be removed from the various parts on a WR. There's a thread on ThumperTalk of an extreme WR weight loss where the owner got his WR to below the listed weight of a YZ450.

At 160 pounds a 450 will be more than enough bike for whatever terrain you ride. I'm 225 and my YZ450 pulls me just fine wherever I ride. Preferably steep mountain singletrack.

Clean looking plated '06 WR450 over on the ADV FM Seller is asking for $3k I think the seller is also a member here but I don't recall her screen name....

For sale is a 2006 Yamaha WR450f: The bike is plated in California, runs well and just received a full professional service from a local San Diego dealer. The extras that are installed on this bike include a GPR steering stabilizer, FMF pipe, McClain front suspension, Acerbis hand guards, and frame/sub-frame guard. The previous owner removed the light wiring harness with a Baja designs switch (which I have). This is a strong running and performing green sticker bike with both electric & kick start. $3,000.00

I'm not dead-set on anything. But the WRs can only be plated up until 2002, no? Is there much of a weight difference between the WR and KTM?

No. All WRs can be plated.

While all WR's can be plated, it's only by using subterfuge and/or spending additional cash for someone to get you a plate. The 2007 exc's were street legal, so they should be plated already. That said, buying a previously plated bike renders the discussion moot. But to say all WR's can be plated is very deceiving. You need to know a guy who knows a guy, or be willing to ride around with an AZ plate. I know one member who's still waiting on a plate for a technically non-platable bike...for 3+ months now...and he's out a good chunk of cash with no recourse.

Well in my price range and what I'd like to do long-term I think I'll eventually wind up with a used KTM/WR 450 and a YZ250.

Question is...what order? Do I start by selling the DRZ and getting the 450? Or do I start with a DRZ/YZ combo?

I guess it's a function of what pops up first. I'll be watching the for sale section, but if you see something...say something! =)

In related news, if anyone is looking for a fully sorted, low mileage, well-cared for dirt-focused DRZ then I'm your man!

Well in my price range and what I'd like to do long-term I think I'll eventually wind up with a used KTM/WR 450 and a YZ250.

Question is...what order? Do I start by selling the DRZ and getting the 450? Or do I start with a DRZ/YZ combo?

I guess it's a function of what pops up first. I'll be watching the for sale section, but if you see something...say something! =)

In related news, if anyone is looking for a fully sorted, low mileage, well-cared for dirt-focused DRZ then I'm your man!

[/quote

Your DRZ is nice. Keep it temporarily so you can still go on plated rides and get a screaming 2 stroke for Track and non plated areas.i wish I could justify A 2 stroke but I don't see me using it enough. I rode Axels older KTM 200 2 stroke at otay track and really enjoyed that.

Have you considered a KTM RFS bike? CiD has one up for sale, or here is one with 36 total hours: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2006-ktm-525-exc-portland-or.1109862/

These are super reliable, easy to maintain, are plenty fast, and can put in long dual sport miles. I just sold mine (went 690), and I can't think of another dirt bike under $5K that I'd rather own.

+1 on this. a do everything 450/525 RFS bike is a great choice and very cost effective.

After spending some time on a KTM 450 and YZ 250 I've decided that I think neither is the solution for me.

If anyone has a KTM 350 EXC I'd love to spend 15 minutes on it! I suspect that might be what I'm looking for: a do-it-all plated bike that's light enough to be fun at McCain.* If you're selling one, I'm also interested in hearing about it. Inventory seems to be thin for these bikes.

*Side note: I weight 160 lbs. so a 350 should be plenty of power to lug me up hills.

350 will suit you well ask rob sdhydro about it hes a drz guy that just picked up a ktm 350 and from our ride yesturday at mccain and talking to him way faster on his 350. Side note I would say you can ride my husky 350 but they are so far different than the ktms it would literally feel like a different bike. Get a ktm fyi better suspension out of the box especially for your weight probable wont even need to do a respring. Look up in la and imperial county I saw some 15 models even a 14 around for cheaper but good luck finding a used one for sale for a year or two unless has tons of miles.

P.S. I'm 230lbs and the 350 hauls my fat ass around plenty fast and will climb any hill with less fatigue than the bigger bikes.

You can try my ktm 350 but I might be busy next weekend. I bought a used 2014 with 4 hours and it's the perfect all around bike for me with singletrack the main focus. Plenty of power when needed but not too much for the tight trails and won't wear you out as fast. It still has like 45 hp so compared to the drz even though it's 400 vs 350 isn't lacking power in any way.

I would love to take both for a spin. =)

Hydro, I'll keep an eye out for rides your on and if I can make one I definitely will!

braaaaaaap.

Rode my fat piggy once since I got the two stroke...crashed and broke a piece off, as per usual, and haven't ridden it again since. Repairing and selling soon.

I absolutely love my yz250. I guess I just never believed something with a plate could rip like a proper dirt bike, but I've never been on a bazillion dollar KTM....or any dual sport other than the CRF250L. One day for sure, I will.

Ride the lightening.

Meatmord, search YouTube for husaberg 570 vs 250 2 stroke. I think the video is called losing. It's not even close. Modern 4 strokes have no problem performing right with old tech 2 strokes.

The Dakar rally is going on right now...guess how many 2 strokes there are? I'll grant you that a 2 stroke performs better at Erzberg, but for a bike you can hop on and hit the track, Baja, and then go grab milk at the store on or ride to work, nothing beats a modern 4 stroke.

Here you go. I know straight line speed is only one metric, but so many people think 2 strokes just make ridiculous power.

Btw Bluhdow the reason you can't find many 350s is that they've only been around since 2012 and the 500 outsold it handily.

In consideration of the advice here I've done some more digging into the WR450. They are clearly much cheaper than a euro bike and seem to be less of a maintenance headache, both in time and cost.

There is a decent market out there for used bikes as well.

My question is, how would a WR450 stack up against a KTM 350? I'm assuming a bit heavier, but is the KTM light enough to justify a cost of over double? Or would the WR be a marginal improvement over my DRZ in terms of weight and ability in tighter trails?

My question is, how would a WR450 stack up against a KTM 350? I'm assuming a bit heavier, but is the KTM light enough to justify a cost of over double? Or would the WR be a marginal improvement over my DRZ in terms of weight and ability in tighter trails?

The WR is a night and day improvement over your DRZ (my WR replaced my DRZ). I've got a plated '12 with a tune, rekluse z-start pro and left-hand rear brake if you want to give it a shot.

WR will have far more torque and yes be and feel heavier. Buy the lower cost bike, spend 50% of your savings on hi-po and weight reduction mods and enjoy the remaining money to go ride for "free". I ride a YZ but would've bought a WR if I didn't have another plated do all bike in my garage.

Contact me in a week or two about plating a WR.

Not a much of a power bump over the DRZ, but ~50 lbs lighter and a much improved suspension.

I think it might be more comparable to a KTM 350 than a WR450. Am I thinking along the right lines with that?

That wr290f looks sweet go for it, use to have 07wr250f and was a good little trail bike not much for desert but still held its own, ur a light guy thought and that 290 kit should help alot

Weight wise perhaps, but this is only making 2/3rds the power.

[Edit: Actually, no clue what it's making with the big bore kit]

Take it from someone who owns one, the wr250 is not enough bike for an only bike. Yes it may weight 15-20lbs less than the 450, but it just doesn't have the power you need for anything beyond tight trail riding. Either one will feel like a rocket ship compared to a drz tank.

If you're looking at spending that much, take your time and do it right. Ride a few bikes until you find something that is "the one." In the Sdar community there is no shortage of people willing to let you try out a bike to see if it makes sense. On your end, you need to do an honest assessment of what type of riding you want to do. That will help you narrow down your options and might save you a ton of grief in the long run.

To answer your question, the wr450 will have power equivalent to the new 350 KTM. The wr250 only has ~20hp stock, maybe 5 more with the big bore and supporting mods.

Thats a great looking, low time, WR. But it's still a 7 year old bike. $4200 is way overpriced to me. So guy put $1500 into a brand new bike but only rode it for a year then stuffed it in the garage for 6? Sucks for him but machines dont like to sit idle and could be nothing but trouble once you start using it. $3k tops. With those mods I'd estimate close to 30hp.

The difference in the 250cc to 350cc bikes is pretty big. They make much more torque and HP. The KTM350 makes impressive peak horsepower (at 12000RPM), but can't match the torque and HP of a 450 and never will. There is truth to the statement "there's no replacement for displacement.

I rode with USFS rangers on WR250Fs doing trail maintenance in the Sierras. They were big dudes carrying chainsaws and gas cans. They had plenty of power to climb the hills. Bikeslut used to ride a WR250 and maintained the power was comparable to a DRZ but the bike was 70 pounds lighter. And you might be 30-40 pounds lighter than him.

Not to confuse the issue, but not all DRZ's are the same. The older E models make more HP (48 stock), and weigh less (263LB) than the porker S model, and will run circles around a WR250. I used to have the kick only version (250lbs) with JD jetting and a Muzzy can (loved the sound of that can), and that thing was a rocket compared to riding Vacmans WR with similar mods. However, the suspension and chassis of the WR is far and away superior to any of the DRZ models.

I agree with PastaPilot that $4200 is too steep for an 07 WR no matter the mods.

Here's a DRZ E plated in LA: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/5393658064.html