I'm in the very early stages of planning an SD-to-Cabo-and-back ride. I'm looking for any info I can get my hands on. Routes, areas to avoid, travel tips, etc.

I'm on a DRZ400S that's built for dirt. For this trip I would probably re-gear it to be more 50/50, get some real DS tires, and get a nice long-distance seat (any recommendations?). I'd love to do the trip along the coast with as much dirt as possible. Is that a 4 day ride? 5 days? (edited to clarify: 4-5 days of riding each way) I'd plan to stay at a hotel each night in order to stay light. Ideally I'd ride with just a backpack.

I think the biggest thing is what are our way points (e.g. what city/hotel should we aim for at the start of each day).

3 of us looking to do the trip, though we could certainly join an existing excursion if there's already one being put together. Thinking January or February (assuming that's a good time of year).

Any help, links, info, etc. Like I said, this is my first step in researching the trip and all information is appreciated!

Thank you!

... and get a nice long-distance seat (any recommendations?

SEAT CONCEPTS!

I'll start with the easy one first "Seat Concepts" is your very best option with regards to a seat.

4 or 5 days? It's 860 miles in an airplane so taking Hwy 1 with no dirt you either have a 2 day hellish ride on a drz or take 3 days - one way. I personally would take a week on a more dirt oriented ride one way to Cabo on a drz then find a way to have the bikes trucked home.

To clarify, I was thinking 4-5 days of riding south. Hanging out for 2 days, and 4-5 days riding home. Ideally it would be a 10-12 day trip.

There are a few ways of doing this: mainly, all asphalt (or what passes for it in Baja), mostly dirt or a combo. Lots of options along the way.

Here's a ride report: How a few SDAR guys and I did it.

http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2013/11/baja-ride-2013-san-diego-to-cabo-and.html

Enjoy!

have fun that's very ambitious of you, especially after only having your dual sport for a couple months. definitely a seat concepts seat have one on all my bikes well worth it. I would get very accustomed to fixing your bike yourself I remember from previous posts you weren't too comfortable or have the tools. that's mean gets a torque wrench and take almost everything off apply Loctite and retorque everything back. have a fun and safe trip I'm envious.

I've been riding and learning a lot these past few months. Bought quite a few new tools, been doing my own maintenance and learning as much as I can.

Posts like yours are helpful...loctite on bolts and any other bike-related information would be very helpful. Aside from the tool kit with the bike what else should I plan to carry with me? Tubes, some spoons to change out a flat, the common socket sizes (8, 10, 12, 14 mm), crescent wrench, etc.

What are come common in-the-field DRZ issues I should be prepared for? The bike is pretty new (1600 miles) and I take meticulous care of it.

This would be my first real adventure ride and any insight would be appreciated. Again, this is exploratory so if I decide it's over my head maybe I'll just go to San Felipe, but while I'm exploring my options I might as well plan to go big!

Check out the drz FAQ section here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/215-drz400-faq/

The drz is a good bike but does have some issues that can be prevented. The stator bolts are know to back out over time and eat the stator. This is one of the known loctite fixes that are suggested for the drz. Also the c/s sprocket nut is known to loosened up over time and strip the bent washer and causes oil to leak out past the seal.

I've done the stator and vs sprocket loctite fixes on mine and when I did the c/s sprocket fix I found the nut already loose. Also bypass the clutch and kickstand safety switches and any ca smog stuff if you haven't already. Ready the FAQ section just don't get overwhelmed.

Good advise rob. Bluhdow i woukd swap out tubes for ultra heavy duty for trip and ride at 16-18psi minimum to avvoid pinch flats and out a rimlock in the rear forsure maybe front. Do all tires and maintance with tools you plan to carry with you so you know ezactly what you need and get a decent tool rool to keep everything in. I added a tool tube to my old drz that goes on rear of bike frame on left side and was perfect for holding either a tube or tool tube. Carry extra front tube with tools to change it forsure and chain masterlinks also everyone seems to forget to bring these. I would also do a couple overnight trips and adventures before u leave to get the ergonomics right on bike before you leave. Little changes in bars,switches and levers adjustments make a big difference on all day rides. Stay off youtube and adventure forums on what to pack and bring ull end up riding with a ton of extra crap and luggage.

Riding in Baja is awesome. I've had the pleasure of riding 60mph down the beach with friends but... I've also broken down in the middle of nowhere and have had to hitch a ride from locals (two separate incidents there).

A Cabo AND back trip is quite ambitious. A one way trip from SD to Cabo on dirt is a pedestal "dream" ride for many. Depending on your budget, you can always look for a tour guide or guided excursion (ala Tim Morton, Chris Haines or Malcolm Smith who will take you to the tip or more local and/or Northern Baja rides with Chilly White, BajaTrailRider or Rawhyde. There are also local Mexican tour groups. These have a pretty high upfront cost associated with them but they include Planning, Food, Gas, Emergency Support, Mechanical Help etc

That being said, depending on your experience, free spirit and possibly huevos / stupidity, I'm sure you could take a stock Trail 90 to Cabo and back and have a blast.

Here are some things to consider:

What is you and/or your crew's experience riding in Baja?

How comfortable are you with Spanish?

How well do you know the peninsula? - The whole damn peninsula.

Support vehicle?

4x4 capable? Can it tow / haul multiple bikes?

Radios between riders?

Radios between Support vehicle?

Satellite phones?

GPS tracks? (it's 'til death due us part' for most people when it comes to sweet SD to Cabo tracks)

Maps. Multiple versions?

E32 base map for GPS?

What about closed roads / unforeseen obstacles?

Recent flooding / hurricane damage?

El Nino rains?

Hotel reservations?

Camping or hotel / hostels?

Cost of hostels?

Fuel range? Extra fuel - have you mapped out fuel stops?

Air filters? Filter skins?

Air filter change?

Are the bikes up to the task?

Are the bikes up to your specific route?

Are you up to the route?

Are you up for riding 10 days?

How sore will your ass, arms, hands, back, knees etc be?

Do you know where hospitals are?

Do you have emergency contact info of your partners?

Medical history of riding partners?

Anybody carrying medical supplies?

Montezuma's Revenge?

Do you have a Spot / DeLorme?

Do you have a friend / family following your progress at home?

Communication with home?

Travelers insurance?

Medical flight insurance?

Tourist visa?

How will you access your bank?

Will you carry cash? How much? Pesos?

Oil change on the way down? Oil change in Cabo?

Tire change in Cabo? Will the shop have tires you want?

Bib Mousses?

How many extra tubes will you carry?

Zip tied spokes?

Rim Locks - run them on both wheels?

Do you have good headlights?

Are you comfortable riding at night (it is Baja in January - think no ambient light)

Are you comfortable with extreme heat and snow in the same trip?

Do you enjoy riding sand?

Have you hit a silt bed before?

Do you enjoy riding on rocks?

Did you pre-run the northern sections?

Chupacabras!!

Do you like an awesome time riding the gnar in Baja?!

Do you like awesome local food?!

Do you like awesome beer and tequila?!

Do you like awesome sunsets and sunrises?!

Do you like adventure?!

These are in no particular order. These are just some thoughts that popped into my head. In late November and December I'm looking to ride Baja as much as possible. I'm contemplating the feasibility of a Cabo trip myself during that time frame and absolutely want to complete one by March 2017. See you on the trail amigo!

Here's an organized run that looks fun: www.thecaborun.org

As well, there's "Rip to the Tip."

Thank you everyone for the info!

There's obviously a lot I don't know, and even more that I don't know I don't know. All of this info is helpful and appreciated.

I've been advised that due to a possible El Nino winter it's probably best to wait until Spring. That gives me 6-7 months to ride, read, learn, break things, fix things, and make some smaller trips in order to gain experience and prepare. As of now that is my plan.

I think a few trips inside the US are the best place to start. It will be good practice for me to experience some hurdles in a more stable and familiar environment before diving head first into MX. Any suggestions for a 4-5 day (ride out two days, and back two days) trip where I could follow some GPS tracks to stay largely off-road? Moab? Grand Canyon?

I think a few trips inside the US are the best place to start. It will be good practice for me to experience some hurdles in a more stable and familiar environment before diving head first into MX. Any suggestions for a 4-5 day (ride out two days, and back two days) trip where I could follow some GPS tracks to stay largely off-road? Moab? Grand Canyon?

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/grand-canyon-loop-out-of-vegas.514339/

Awesome!

How about a ride from SD to Vegas, all dirt. Seems possible.

Maybe a full day out, spend a day squandering money, and a full day back. Anyone done a ride like this? Would love to read a report.

Thanks!

Search here and advrider i know its been done a couple times im interested in a sd to vegas ride this coming up winter. 2days there 1 day rest and 2 days back.

That sounds awesome. I'd be interested to join you. I'm sure I could learn a lot and would be happy to help in any way I can!

You may have already, but I think it would be worth your while to take an afternoon and change out the inner tube on your back wheel. Then start packing the tools that worked with you while riding. I think your mostly likely issue will be flat tire.

There is an amazing amount of riding south of the border for 2-4 days. Variety too. desserts, alpine, and beaches. The north of the border organized dual sports rides are a good place to start too like others suggested. A cheap and organized safety net. Cool t shirts.

My first ride on MY first DRZ was the big bear trail ride that that happens each June. I tried to do all of the hard sections. It just about killed me. But it somewhat opened my eyes to what skills I didn't have. Also the tires, tanks, guards, lights, etc.. that I didn't have. That bike aged about 4 years in one weekend. haha You are probably better than me, though, so way ahead.

Anyway good luck. You will know if this is your sport when you get kicked in the nuts and then come back for more thinking it was the best day you've had in a long time!

Steve