As GoofyFooter already knows, I initially posted this ride report over at Bajanomad. I'm lazy, so I cut and pasted it here; let's see if it works.

I had a few free days recently, so I packed up my old Honda and pointed it south. I crossed at Tecate, where I secured my tourist card from INM and some adobada tacos at one of my favorite places. I hit the Compadre Trail towards Ojos Negros. I was somewhat concerned to see that survey crews have been busily placing flags and stakes along much of the trail, and there are some new concrete crossings over certain washes. Is pavement in the future for the Compadre? I hope not.

Parked at the charred remains of the old palapa at the south end of Compadre:

IMG_0980-L.jpg

I crossed Highway 3 at Ojos Negros and rode the trail south past Rancho Tres Hermanos and down through Ejido Uruapan to Highway 1. I encountered these characters along the dirt superhighway from Santo Tomas to Erendira:

IMG_0984-L.jpg

Coyote Cal's was my destination for the first night. I always run into interesting folks at Cal's. This time there was a nice mix of off-road types and Mexican families.

In the morning, I headed down the coast and found one of the blow holes was pretty active:

IMG_0991-L.jpg

There happened to be a local desert race taking place that day, and the course was running along my planned route. Where else but Baja do you get scenery like this for a motorcycle race?

IMG_0993-L.jpg

Some random scenery from getting lost along the edge of Cabo Colonet:

IMG_0996-L.jpg

IMG_0999-L.jpg

IMG_0994-L.jpg

IMG_1008-L.jpg

IMG_0995-L.jpg

There seems to be less of the shipwreck at El Barco every time I see it:

IMG_1004-L.jpg

Friends often ask me, "Why ride in Mexico? What's wrong with just riding in California?" Well, try this in California and see how long it takes to have your bike confiscated:

IMG_1006-L.jpg

I made it as far south as El Rosario, where I had dinner at Mama Espinoza's. This was the first time I'd visited Mama's, and while the food was nothing to write home about, I was impressed by the old XR500 prominently displayed in the dining room. This gives me some ideas for my own home décor:

IMG_1012-L.jpg

I spent the night at Cielito Lindo, where for 350 pesos I got a huge, sparkling clean, recently renovated room with two beds and indoor bike parking (with the permission and at the suggestion of the manager).

IMG_1013-L.jpg

This was the first time I've stayed at Cielito Lindo, and I will certainly be back. Although the management is working to rehab the rooms, they've managed to retain the 'Old Baja' feel of the place. This is most evident in the dining room/bar, where I felt like I had stepped into the 1950's. It's really a very cool place.

IMG_1024-L.jpg

IMG_1015-L.jpg

IMG_1017-L.jpg

IMG_1019-L.jpg

Day three started with a leisurely ride back north on Highway 1, where I got a shot of my sexy gordita in front of the sexy gordita store:

IMG_1025-L.jpg

I initially started up the Observatory Road with the intention of riding from Rancho El Coyote up to Mike's Sky Ranch, but before I got too far up the road, I had a stroke of good sense and realized that I would be foolish to attempt that route solo. I stopped for a rest in this little settlement along the Observatory Road:

IMG_1031-L.jpg

IMG_1028-L.jpg

I wasn't excited about riding Highway 1 all the way back through Ensenada, so decided instead to take the Wine Road from the military checkpoint north of Colonet to Valle La Trinidad. About halfway along this route, and a very long walk to anything resembling civilization, I found this bit of bad luck which reminds me that I should do some front-end work on my own Tacoma:

IMG_1035-L.jpg

In Valle T, I was fortunate enough to find my favorite taco shop open and slinging quesatacos and Coca-Cola. This place alone was worth every mile.

IMG_1038-L.jpg

From Valle T, a quick blast along Highway 3 and back up the Compadre Trail put me in Tecate in time for dinner. It was a short and uneventful trip, but it was enough to recharge for another week in the trenches.

cool trip thx for sharing

FYI that XR500 is the Hale Hermanos Mama Espinoza sponsored NORRA Mexican 1000 bike , old school but fast they hsve podiumed a couple of times since 2010 ( 2nd in class behind Baja Bound Tim Morton in 2010) 3rd in class 2011, 6th OA motorcycle in 2014. that old beast is a100 mph Baja bike

Another great "Don't go to Baja!" story..... I can't wait to go back...

Now I want tacos... and beer... and bikes...

Basically a trip to baja... I want a trip to baja...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Robertaccio, that's some interesting history on the XR500 at Mama's. I figured it was a historically significant bike, but I didn't realize it was actively raced so recently. I shouldn't be surprised though; my brother has a 1983 XR350 that recently made it down too Loreto and back without a single problem. The old XR's just won't die...