meatmord

Best 450

As some of you guys and gals know, I am shopping for a used 450 so I can ride off a cliff full speed like 350thumper. I call upon your wisdom now to help me ascertain what makes and years to look out for, if any...or any other advice regarding buying a used 45 or buying YOUR 450. I will also be hooking up a trailer to my civic in the next week or two, so any do's or don't's on that subject would also be welcome.

Hoping to spend (on the bike) $2.5k or less, but could probably cough up $3k if I found The Bike.

Some of you may be wondering, "what then will become of that bad az, hard core, desert thrashing, panty dropping crf250l?" She's getting a wax and I'm selling her. Stay calm, this is just a teaser...I need the 450 death machine first.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Well...I was thinking green sticker, but that is mostly because i believe it will be more powerful and lighter. I guess I'm open to both, but I want a bike that has no problem in the sand. I hear SDHydro's KLR handles it no prob, but his is juiced out (and is a 650). I rode Ken's RMZ(?)450 at Superstition a week ago and I have to have one.....so if there is a dual sport that is bad like that, then I am in. otherwise I want the green sticker bike.

I may keep the 250l for dual sporting too, not totally committed to selling it.

Lots of used Yamaha and Honda 450's out there in your price range.

Sdhydro has a drz400 i believe and those work but heavy. Good luck on the green sticker most likely gonna be red and you can find some good prices on used kawasaki 450 and some suzuki. The yamahas yz and crf will be more

The only thing between plated and green sticker bikes in your price range is the effort someone put in to get it plated and a pound or two for plate and lights. Not having a plate will severely limit the types of riding you can do on your new rip roaring big bore beast.

Most times that plate adds atleast a grand to the price of the bike. Also my bike is a drz400 like Brian said. Power isn't exactly an issue so much as the weight is. I weigh half as much as my bike does so picking it up is tiring for me. But its a good all around bike and is reliable. A 300 2 stroke is also a nice choice if you don't care bout a plate.

The faster the bike , the more air you can get when launch.

You want a tough bike that can leap over tall trees in a single bound.

Like a Yamaha or Hon CRF 450.

Depending on where you like to walk into for parts.

If you like Veys get a Suz or Kaw 450.

If you like motowold then get a Yam or Hon 450.

any other bike and I'm just going to roost you all day long..

And make sure its '06 or newer.

I bet corey is roosting us in a few months.

He's young and in shape.

I bet corey is roosting us in a few months.

He's young and in shape.

That's right Thumper. I won't forget those passes you made when I was digging my fat little piggy out of the sand either.

street legal from factory? I really wouldn't suggest anything but KTM... and I'm NOT a big KTM fan. TE510 or any of the other Huskies are ok too.

regarding DRZ's... it's not the arrow; it's the Indian

Same applies for your current bike. Once it's truly the bike that is holding you back, you can upgrade... the only time I really feel like my DRZ is holding ME back, is in a drag race.

Well, if you decide you want an MX bike, I'd start looking at the 2006 or newer YZ450F. That was the first year aluminum frame and the engines are bullet proof (compared to the CRF450). You should be able to find something in your price range no problem, but it won't be a plated bike, or even a green sticker bike. Anything that new will be red sticker only.

The DRZ and KLR...well, those are completely different bikes...not even in the same category.

I'd go 450F and keep the 250L for dual sport mode.

Just my opinion but if you can get a Japanese MX 450 (Dosen't matter what brand) that runs and isn't beat 2006 or newer for around 2 grand, buy it.

Ride the crap out of it till you figure out the next bike you think is the perfect fit for you and resell it for about the same as you bought it for.

They aren't the perfect single track bike. But do it well.

They aren't the ultimate desert bike. But do it very well.

But you've tried following me on both and seen nothing but dust.

They also KICK ASS at the MX track.

Cory, as much as you seem to ride, I would think you want a green sticker bike so you can ride all year long?

Kenny Rides his red sticker 450 all year long.

I run mine too when my V isn't too swety.

If you start riding a 450 MX bike whatever relationship you've built with the CRF250L will wither and die in short order.

If you start riding a 450 MX bike whatever relationship you've built with the CRF250L will wither and die in short order.

Exactly why he needs to buy a plated 450. Limited riding areas or times of the year suck.

Yes. Every time I ride with Ken he lets me ride his 450 and it is having a dramatic impact on my relationship with my beloved 250l. The withering has begun. I guess the WR450 and the CRF450x are plated, or at least plateable. That will be my goal. The 250L weighs something like 330 pounds. Fat. I'm looking to avoid that in the next bike.

They're only plated if they were in before the cutoff. Trying to plate one now is an expensive proposition. I sold 2 plated wr426s for under $3k each so you're not too far out on price. The other option is an older KTM. Lots of plated Rfs powered bikes out there.