PastaPilot

So I Bought Another Friggin' Honda

I am starting a new job in Carlsbad and a second job in Santa Ana this month. I drove to Carlsbad about 3 times before deciding I needed a motorcycle for this commute. I looked around and wasn't too thrilled with the used bike market, but found a 1997 VFR 750 that looked good and the price was right.

I always liked the sound of the V4 engines (They sound like half a V8 so the chorus is just right for me) and the single sided swinger is pretty exotic.

This one had 26k on the odo and came with the Devil carbon exhaust, taller windscreen, rear seat cover and Nelson Rigg saddle and tail bags.

Just right for what I needed.

post-118-0-33779700-1438827921_thumb.jpg

And anyone familiar with XR650Ls knows how older Hondas like to eat electrical control boxes. Just about everyone I know has had to replace an XR CDI. This one toasted the regulator/rectifier 3 days after I got it home. I bought a new one on eBay and just took it for a spin. Seems back to normal, for now.

congrats! Buying new (more) bikes is fun. Been doing a bit of that myself lately.

I commute on a bike and love it. Have fun!

Congrats, I have a 95 that got moved to project status about 14 years ago, I would like to get it back running.

I went through a bunch of R/Rs, although the one I have on it now has been lasting for a while. If I have a problem again, I would put on one of the Shindengen units, I have done this mod on my 990 and Aprilia- much better, I think.

Sweet bike still think about buying another one miss my 06. Bummer about r/r mine failed didn't realize it and finally shut off a block away from my house man was I lucky. Those v4's sound so amazing

Pretty sure I mentioned the regulator when this was brought up. Just like Tim said above, there are some upgrades to either a MOSFET or series style regulator. A voltage monitor is probably recommended.

Yes, you did bring up the r/r I just didn't expect it so soon.

I found it very humorous to find that the internet's preferred method of replacing and upgrading the Honda regulator is an OEM Yamaha regulator for an R1.

With my new unit I'm still not getting 14 volts at the battery but I am getting more than I was with the OEM. I think I'll be combing through and upgrading the wiring in the near future.

It is really fun to ride. I went to the local Ace last night then took the longer way home. A 30 minute trip ended up taking 2 hours :)

good news a new Honda fanboy for SDAR............

V4... red... single sided swingarm... fairly comfortable... fairly fast ... what's not to like?

You meet the nicest people on a Honda... and one or two jerks

Always liked those bikes. They do sounds pretty damn awesome, especially with that exhaust, don't they?

My Triumph had the same internet reports and the regulator went out about as fast. I think when the regulator fails, it strains the stator as well because my bike is also a bit low on the voltage since the regulator crapped out. I will be replacing everything when I return and installing a volt meter. Just keep an eye on it. Great looking bike, I've always been intrigued by the VFR.

Bummer sorry to hear wopefully u get it all worked o know when mine went out my stator was fried also