Hello folks,

OK I was riding Sunday at a place called Pi Pi near Volcano Ca., on Sunday with a buddy who rides a stock DRZ, well his tires aint to good and he was maybe going to fast and not paying close enough attention and washed out in a corner going down hard on his right side. He had gear on, tore his new pants, scratched up his helmet and tore up his pressure suit thing (just a little), anyway he hurt his ribs around the side and back and now is looking to upgrade to the Leatt body protector 5.5 2015 so his ribs wont be so exposed. I goggled it and there are a lot of negative posts and a lot of positive posts, anybody here have real life experience living with this item of gear?

Just a side note I learned a new word "shalely" kind of like sandy but broken up shale especially on a side hill is a strange surface, I also learned tree roots hidden in the shade can be knarly and slick.

Cheers,

Uncle C.

If it is the one with the built in neck protector and I think it sells for $399,00, this is what I have read about it, Takes several rides to get used to the neck protector( that is normal because I have one and it alway takes me a couple of ride to get used to it when I use it). I have read that it is real comfortable and very adjustable to fit your body with great protection all around. The negative that I have heard and read about is that it is very warm when riding. I have been looking at this protector myself because I am still on the mend from my broken ribs. This protector looks like it covers all of your rib cage from front, side, and back. I personally think that I will be wearing this on my next adventure ride.

I have the Leatt body suit and like it. Mainly for warmer days as it's mostly just mesh and pads.

You can easily attach the Leatt neck brace to it but I haven't done so yet.

Once I buy one, I'll let you know how it performs.

I agonized over buying armor...I've tried on just about every type of armor including the Leatt Adventure...it's probably the heaviest of all pressure suits...it does have Euro CE certification. The snaps and zippers look chintzy. After 6 months of looking, the Acerbis Cosmo 2 ($170) was my choice and fits nicely with a leatt collar when you remove the upper chest plate. This is a weird thing...the top is a half shirt...and then the chest protector goes on over it so it might not be your thing. I wear the roost guard over my jersey. One of the things that surprised me was how nice wearing a kidney belt is...maybe it's imaginary...less fatigue..less soreness. http://www.acerbis.com/prodotto_detail.php?idp=707

If you have big biceps...this will not fit you.

If it is the one with the built in neck protector and I think it sells for $399,00

I have not seen a Leatt Adventure with a built in neck protector. The one I saw compliments an existing Leatt.

I use the Leatt 3df airfit lite which to me looked like it had more chest protection then the regular airfit. Extremely comfortable and so far crashed it 3 times flat tracking and no issues.

I've been riding with the 5.5 for a couple years. I LOVED the first one, it fit like a glove. Sadly, the shoulder pads had a faulty attachment system and it fell apart. To Leatt's credit, they gave me a new one under warranty. The "new" shoulder pad design is a joke, they pop off easily and often. I made a couple velcro straps to help keep them attached but it is troublesome to say the least. The problem is made even worse when you are dealing with a backpack. IMO, I'd look elsewhere..maybe a Fox Titan? Probably where I'm going next.

Piggy backing on this thread. I am looking at getting some kind of upper body protection and am wondering about the Leatt with the built in neck brace which is $400.

I am pretty new to off road riding and all my crashes (so far) are very low speed so its seems unlikely I will need the kind of protection the neck brace is designed for. At the same time I am thinking "just get it, its your f'ing spine."

Wondering from you guys, is this totally unnecessary at my level?

Protection is good at any level. It doesn't take much to be seriously injured. That said, hard to go out in bubble wrap, too. That Leatt combo is a good deal but consider the warmth of the unit. I have the 5.5 HD Pro which is very protective but hot. I have the Pro I wear under armored jackets but after the last trip to Corral, I ordered a Fox Airframe as it's lighter and cooler. I also got the EVS Race collar which I can wear with each guard. Far less than the Leatt but still rated well. A little limiting in looking up - but that's it's nature. Got used to it quickly and it didn't limit my already dismal riding skills. :)

Welcome to stop by and try different combos if it helps.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-r4-race-collar-neck-support?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=814353&gclid=CNnh7p6N18YCFUdufgodon8MGA

Better off to start with all the gear...harder to add later, as we get stubborn to change

I have been using the Leatt 3DF Airfit and really like it. Cool enough in our hot weather and it works great (duh) with my Leatt neck brace.

I wear a lesser version of the EVS collar TrophyHunter talked about when racing but since it's so comfortable and easy to use I may use it for aggressive trail riding as well. Much cheaper at $40.

I ordered the Leatt Fusion 3.0 Vest, which is the one with the built in neck brace. Ill do some head dives next weekend and report my impressions.

Don't know about the Leatt armor... I purchased the Alpinestars Bionic short sleeve about a year ago. Fits well and comfortable to ride in. I've taken a couple of diggers with it on, and it has protected me well. (Not serious diggers tho.) I opted for short sleeves to reduce heating up, but still wear elbow pads, so I'm not sure how much heat I'm "saving."

I do not wear the armor in the summer months tho... It's just too hot for me. I'm a bit shy of 50, about 15 lbs overweight and tend to heat up very quickly. Probably less of an issue for more fit guys. In the warmer months, I wear a roost guard and elbow pads.

What I did just purchase and am liking so far is the Leatt Coolit vest. ($75) They also have a Tee model. You wet it, wring it and wear it under your gear to evap cool your core. I have only used it for about an hour each of 3 rides, but it seems to do the job (at least better than nothing). Most recent rides have started early enough in the am to where I didn't need it to start, but I then put it on about midway through the rides. Not sure how well it will work over an extended period of time, but I plan to test it out soon.

I mention the Leatt Coolit because it might be a good addition to one's body armor in the summer months so you can keep the protection level and maybe mitigate some of the heat issues. I have not yet worn the Coolit with my armor to see how well it cools under something heavier than a jersey.

Coolit Vest

http://images0.revzilla.com/product_images/0046/0823/leatt_coolit_evaporative_cooling_vest_detail.jpg

Alpinestars Bionic S/S

http://static.chaparral-racing.com/productimages/1300/020-2702-0074.jpg

Dare we say, "A very personal decision". CID has the best solution; don't fall! Unable to match his record, have had good use with the now old Adventure full suit. Contrary to what you would think it is not hot as the shirt is very thin. All the armor has been solid as well. Sounds that later designs have failed quality test. If buying today, Afry's 3df airfit would be my choice. Counter intuitive that the "soft" armor can instantly change form and go hard. I wear a thin poly running T under my Adventure which would appear to be un-necessary with the Airfit.

I'd keep the neck brace separate and not get one that's built in. There will be times when you may not want or need the whole thing. This way you also replace them independently as needed

Ok, I'm the guy that was riding with Uncle Champ that had my front wheel slide out.  Learned a lesson, don't cheap out when your tires need replacing.  Any rate I'm still using the fox chest protector (Titan Sport) not bad for the price and it is a little warm but I like the feeling of the protection it gives me.  Uncle Champ and myself thought it was my ribs that got hit but it was lower and off to my side so no jacket would have helped.  Any rate after reading 1Kstep I think I'll give the Acerbis Cosmo (W/Jacket) a try when I buy my next.