Sammyd173

Two day ride recommendation needed for 3 Newbs

Greetings,

I bought an XR650L two months ago, my buddy bought a WR250R two weeks ago, and his brother is flying into town June 26th and he's renting a BMW FG650 or something :ohno02:

We are planning a two day adventure ride on June 27/ 28th. We've discussed this over beers for 4 years now and finally have pulled the trigger!

I need suggestions for a ride. Preferably with tracks that I can get on to my Garmin 62s.

We thirst for as much dirt as possible, but in reality anything harder than the fire road around Corral Canyon (which has some tricky bits) is about a gnarly as we can handle, especially with the BMW.

I saw the thread on here about the ride from Poway to Mt Laguna. That looks good but was done in a day. We could incorporate some of that but I don't know how tough some parts are.

We are planning to use air BNB or whatever to find a place for the night. Ideally the destination, which could be Borrego Springs or Anza, would allow us to spend some time exploring the area in the afternoon of the 27th (like Fells Point in Borrego?) and also in the morning of the 28th before heading home. I thought the drop down Grapevine or Jacob's trail would be fun? Never been on either.

Thanks for any ideas. Like I said, the more detail the better - where to get gas, eat, all that stuff along the way. Cheers!

Sam

Go north idyllwild area or up to big bear. Would not recommend going east did a street ride to borrego last week and was pretty hot by 11am when we left.

Baja? Tecate to San Felipe/Coco's and across to the coast to Coyote Cal's then back up?

Ramona to Warner Springs to Anza to Idyllwild... spend the night up there and then back

I appreciate the suggestions, but without tracks or other details I can only really see what roads to take to get to these places and we'll never break dirt?

There's a ton of track on this site here's what I came up with a little sesrch.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3213

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1720

first section up from ramona to anza is easily doable up past Thomas mountain gets a little harder but still fine for big bike or you could bypass after anza and take street.

just do search on here for tracks you'll find them plus advrider has decent stuff.

Aha, this helps, thanks! Also found a great ride report by tvscum a few pages back which I'll look at more closely this week.

Baja? Tecate to San Felipe/Coco's and across to the coast to Coyote Cal's then back up?

+1

+1

Sounds fun but the BMW is rented so no Mexico trips and it isn't even supposed to go off road :exclamation:

+1

Sounds fun but the BMW is rented so no Mexico trips and it isn't even supposed to go off road :exclamation:
To be fair, no BMW is supposed to go "off road."

I just watched a documentary where it was proven that Charley and Ewen actually had British Enfields and the BMW logos --and mechanical failures--were photoshopped in at a later time.

i bet a nice 3day ride could be put together up on the way to Vegas.

i bet a nice 3day ride could be put together up on the way to Vegas.

Not this time a year....way too hot.

Ramona- Anza- Idyllwild and back

Good route because it's in the mountains. While it may not be cool this time of year, it will be more cool than other options.

I can help with the tracks if you are interested.

Good route because it's in the mountains. While it may not be cool this time of year, it will be more cool than other options.

I would go Ramona,Pamo valley, Fire road over to Black canyon, Mesa grande,down to Warner spring and just before the glider port right up to Anza (Lost Creek rd.), Lunch, North out from Anza to Idyllwild I have not done the Nord of Anza part but like to do a 2-3 day ride on Oktober.

I would go Ramona,Pamo valley, Fire road over to Black canyon, Mesa grande,down to Warner spring and just before the glider port right up to Anza (Lost Creek rd.), Lunch, North out from Anza to Idyllwild I have not done the Nord of Anza part but like to do a 2-3 day ride on Oktober.

Same route I took on the first day of my 5 day ride a couple weeks ago...see the ride report...

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20155-5-day-ride-reportramona-to-sequioa-national-forest-video-link-post-15/

Big Bear is very doable the first day on 70% dirt.

Ok so I tried this on Wednesday. I figured everything out but the glider port part. There is Lost Valley Rd and Lost Creek Rd, and I had a hard time seeing how to connect from there up to Anza.

Really appreciate all the suggestions. I think we will stay in Idyllwild, then the next day head down the mountain to Cahuilla Creek MX to spin some laps on the vet track on the dual sports. Then it's a question of if there are some good trails in the area we can play around on before heading home?

These tracks will take you to Anza from Ramona: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394621

If anyone is lacking confidence on the bike(s) you might want to skip the first track and just take 78 east to Magnolia Rd. and hang a left. Magnolia turns into Black Canyon and that'll run you out to Black Canyon Bridge/track 2. (Santa Ysabel TT can be a challenge to newish riders on big bikes.)

Likewise, once the pavement ends on Lost Valley you'll have some challenges/work to do before you reach Anza.

Once you reach Anza you just take Bautista up to the turn off for Thomas Mtn and start climbing. The alternative is to go out 371 to 74, turn left, and climb up to the top from that side. All easy fire road stuff on either side.

We camped up there a month ago: http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20017-overnighter-on-thomas-mtn/

You may opt to stay up there and just goof around........maybe leave all your gear/stuff in place and ride some loops around the area and/or head up to Idyllwild.