Sign in to follow this  
CVRick

2014 ktm 500 exc

Just A couple questions on regular service.I ride about 50 to 80 miles per ride usually.Mostly medium pace with some slab and fire roads. Also single track at decent pace.At 2 rides I changed my oil today and noticed the oil was pretty dirty. I guess with small oil capacity this is normal. Do most owners change the oil after 2 or 3 rides ? When doing oil change the manual says to clean the 2 filter screens.Mine were clean but if they are dirty how would I clean these?Also what is the most economical way to buy motorex oil and ktm oil filters? I just went to south bay motorsports to buy oil and they are now selling KTM bikes and parts.Happy to see that but the price of oil and filter seems steep.I like to save $ when possible. $38 per oil change at this frequency is A little spendy.Thanks for any input on this.

The screens would be dirty from metal shavings and clutch material, typically first 2 oil changes but just compressed air with a gasoline or brake cleaner soak/scrub. I think you are doing your oil changes too soon look in your manual it says every 15 hours for oil change for my 350 shold be same as yours.I just put little hour meter on mine that wraps around spark wire, you'll be surprised many rides 15 hours of run time is. Rotella might make the clutch do funky things also

The screens would be dirty from metal shavings and clutch material, typically first 2 oil changes but just compressed air with a gasoline or brake cleaner soak/scrub. I think you are doing your oil changes too soon look in your manual it says every 15 hours for oil change for my 350 shold be same as yours.I just put little hour meter on mine that wraps around spark wire, you'll be surprised many rides 15 hours of run time is. Rotella might make the clutch do funky things also

My bad ,motorex fully synthetic 4t. Hour meter wrapped on spark wire sounds like A plan. I was surprised how much darker my oil was after only less than 200 miles.

Make oil changes cheaper by ordering non-oem filters, in bulk, online and changing to a more economical oil.

Oil threads are like tire threads. They all blow up with opinion, heresay and 2nd hand information.

Nonetheless, here's mine. I use Rotella T and T6 in my YZ450. It is marketed as a diesel engine oil but is JASO MA approved. The T can always be found for <$15 a gallon and the T6 I buy a couple gallons at a time when on sale for $20/g. The YZ has a 1 liter total capacity and I change at 10 hour intervals or after the next ride. On a recommendation to support a local company, I used Maxima oil for a couple oil changes and it made the clutch chattery and grabby. Since using Rotella it has been as buttery smooth as when it had Yamalube in it.

The manufacturers all recommend their brand oil because that brand gives them the biggest discount on fluids for manufacturing. Unless you're BMW M division. They specifically formulated the Castrol 10W60 they use in the M spec cars. But then again they may have gotten the best deal from Castrol for the contract that lets them put the M logo on the bottle.

I would say Rotella is OK but something like motul semi synthetic or maxima semi synthetic for bikes in a 50wt oil might be better and still less than motorex. Motorex is a rip off IMO. Good oil, bad price. You should be able to do a 15 to 20$ Oil change easy. Try rocky Mountain atv for cheaper filters and oil.

What I did one my 450x was since it only had an odometer that measured 100 miles ,I put six little stickers on the odometer face and every 100miles peeled one off, when they were all gone it was time for an oil change, I think my math was something like 60 miles =1 hr etc with room for error, I figured the motor doesnt know whether you are in 6th or 1st, so I was really after revolutions of the motor. Anyway it worked for me.

Do you guys think full synthetic is really needed? Is that to save the clutch or because trans and motor use the same oil, antifoaming?

I think the all EXC models have an hour meter built into the speedo. Mine does. Maybe different on the 500?

Your right I never knew that. Was wondering what the "art" meant on the display

I think the all EXC models have an hour meter built into the speedo. Mine does. Maybe different on the 500?

You are right. It is there.

Not sure how much South Bay is charging for Motorex, but you can find it online ~$65 shipped for a 4L. Yeah, still not cheap, but more like $20 for oil, and $8 for the filter, assuming you don't buy in bulk.

For what it's worth, the guys at Rekluse recommend Rotella. I've used it in other bikes in the past with no ill effects. I've seen people in the massive 500 EXC thread on advrider say they only change their filter every other oil change, so at the 30 hour interval. As long as the oil meets spec, it really shouldn't matter where it comes from.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Motorex-Cross-Power-4T-Oil/dp/B000WKGBWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434462972&sr=8-3&keywords=motorex

At ~$15/liter it's no more expensive than any of the other motorcycle specific synthetics. Used Rotella T in my '07 RFS and it was fine but sticking with Motorex for the 350 at least for now. I change oil about every 300 miles and the filter every other oil change. Check\clean the screens about every 4th change. Have used both OEM and Tusk (RMATV) filters. Both seem fine. After break-in the screens really don't get dirty unless there's a problem in the motor.

My 2015 500 EXC it has an hour counter, which is visible when the engine is NOT running...switches to speed when moving. I do see it as soon as I turn the key.

I change mine at 15 hours like clockwork, unless that falls in the middle of a ride. I was recently on a three day ride in Baja, and I think I was at 23 hours. I did take it a little easy the third day, but I don't wring the crap out of mine, so I was likely OK. I didn't notice the oil looking any different.

Yes, the oil is black after 15 hours. I also think it's due to the small capacity...my GS's four quarts always look golden. I clean the screens with a papertowel GENTLY. I used air once, but I think I had too much pressure and caved in the screen.

I have been buying my Motorex and OEM filters from RockyMountainATV. I think I save $5/quart over the dealer, and the filters are half price. Plus free shipping and no sales tax...usually arrives in two days. I buy three changes worth at a time. Also, don't forget the crush washers.

My uncle runs Rotela, but I have always used full synth in all bikes and cars and never had a problem. I figure if the manufacturer recommends it, why go against their extensive research and testing???

FWIW, for long Baja rides, I am looking at a stainless steel oil filter and then buying Rotela as it's widely available down there. That's the only situation where I would deviate from full synth.

Definitely put an hour meter on it, you'll be surprised how long 15 hours is. One thing I do is pull and clean the screens every oil change. I do this for piece of mind, if there are more and/or larger chunks of metal in the screens you know a problem is developing and you might want to tear it down before it flies apart. I've been told to stick with motorex while under warranty for sure. I know people who have had top end issues with rotella, so personally I would use a name brand motorcycle oil. How hard you ride makes an enormous difference in oil performance.