My desert riding recently has been curtailed by a two week trip to Europe. I hadn't originally planned on doing any riding, but the desire appeared almost as soon as we touched down in Nice. There were bikes everywhere; Africa Twins, Deauvilles, and more supermotos than I'd ever seen. After exploring on foot and by rail for a few days I was overcome, and at the insistence of a few rounds of Belgian beer booked a Ducati Monster online at http://www.we-rent-motorcycles.com/.

When I arrived the next day I discovered the GPS option I'd selected wasn't available on the Monster. I speak almost enough French to order a drink and find a bathroom and my geographical knowledge of Southern France is pretty limited, so I checked which bikes had a GPS and pretty much immediately selected an F800GS. Not quite as sexy but probably much more comfortable for touring than the Ducati.

eSJJJzvl.jpg

I first rode up the hills of Nice to check out the local observatory, then up the coast to Eze and on to Nice. It felt great to be on two wheels on another continent, but despite some of the most moto-friendly traffic I'd ever experienced I craved a bit more adventure. After an early lunch I directed my GPS to Mercantour National Park in the Maritime Alps.

PIB7SWKl.jpg

A0JVIafl.jpg

6MKwgW2l.jpg

The roads were fantastic; very few cars and miles and miles of tight, twisty turns interrupted by gorgeous villages. With none of the cities ever-present speed cameras I was free to open it up and tear through the countryside.

IvXKjiKl.jpg

Soon enough the terrain began to change; there was snow on the roadside, the pavement wasn't maintained, and I came to the conclusion I'd made the correct choice.

pHvIatMl.jpg

jF0EGSXl.jpg

3kVcvbHl.jpg

Soon opportunities for adventure presented themselves, I was riding a dualsport after all. Dirt roads. Areas still closed for the winter season. Even some grass covered ski slopes. This surpassed anything I'd expected or even imagined!

QeJI8DVl.jpg

As it grew dark and the temperature dropped I said my farewell to the Alps and made my way back to the coast.

WyhSJuDl.jpg

The following day I rode west, stopping to explore sites of historic interest such as Chateau Grimaud above.

NhutVLrl.jpg

The ride back along the coast was beautiful and pleasant; I didn't take many opportunities to stop or snap pictures. By then end of the day I was a little hesitant to give the bike back, but we had train tickets to Paris the next morning. All in all I had a great two weeks filled will all sorts of adventures and amazing sights, but it is my time riding in the Alps that stands out above the rest.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Well, that didn't suck. Very nice and good on ya for going with your gut.

What a blast.....enjoyed following the trip on FB........Likewise, I'm looking forward to riding around Spain on an Africa Twin with Chief Gunner in two weeks :coolio::smile_anim:

Most excellent.. :smile_anim: later this month, we will hear/see from C-Daddy's trip to ride in Spain! :coolio:

Driven and ridden in those areas several times- great stuff.

Nice!

Thanks for sharing.

I get over to Sophia Antipolis for meetings every now and then, which is right next door to Nice and Cannes. Great to know that renting a bike is an option. I never thought of it but certainly will on future trips - maybe even book an extra day or two into the schedule :)