Dan Diego

5 Ways to Get Yourself ‘Into’ a Survival Situation Off-Road

Good thing I didn't read this before I left earlier I just did number 2 on that list no tools water anything. Was kinda thinking half way threw ride how just having a multi tool could help and fix most things but said oh well already here.

Many of us have been there. I still enjoy solo riding.

I've found myself in some very interesting situations.

BikeSlut will have to tell you about the phone call he received from me when I got stuck (classic #1 and #5) on the Anderson Truck Trail.

They said it best in Cool Hand Luke. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

HERE IS SOME GOOD TO KNOW INFO:

How to remove water from your bike motor after a "failed water crossing."

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-videos/what-to-do-after-submerging-your-bike-during-a-river-crossing/

Quinn Cody’s Off-Road Safety Tips for Adventure Riders  Quinn shares his decades of wisdom on what it takes to keep safe off-road.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-prepping/quinn-cody-off-road-safety-tips/

FLASH FLOOD - Water Crossing gone wrong:

ISRAELI "EMERGENCY BANDAGE"

Yup. Had to disassemble my trailbike a few years ago to remove it from a muddy quagmire in the middle of nowhere. Not fun, but slapped it back together and made it back to the truck just before the sun set.

Yeah- I gave Dan Diego some stellar advice on the phone..."it can be done...just suck it up and do it again...better this time...or; you can ride back the entire way you came"

Yeah- I gave Dan Diego some stellar advice on the phone..."it can be done...just suck it up and do it again...better this time...or; you can ride back the entire way you came"

It was a little more than that.

I think the exact words were, "Put on your big boy pants and git 'er done." Or words to that effect.

But, yeah....it did the trick.

I can state for the record that neither me nor the bike were airlifted.

That time...

Everybody should be carrying a first aid kit, with a similar emergency type bandage as indicated above, and some "quick clot" on every ride. There is no excuse for leaving that behind.

Tools, meehhh...Push the bike into some bushes, walk out, and come back an get it later (hopefully it is still there). But if you can't save yourself from an injury, you are really in trouble.

Edited: Not saying you shouldn't bring tools. You should always be prepared but a viable first aid kit should never be left behind. You can pick up quick clot at any sporting goods store/REI these days.

Everybody should be carrying a first aid kit, with a similar emergency type bandage as indicated above, and some "quick clot" on every ride. There is no excuse for leaving that behind.

But if you can't save yourself from an injury, you are really in trouble.

Putting together a better/smaller med kit for our AZBDR ride later this month.

Am adding QuikClot to the equation. Don't know why I didn't have that in there!

Thanks.

That pressure bandage is a must for me.

A big crash and you will see plenty of leakage.

I have patched up some wicked wounds on other riders.

They were so, so, so glad to see I could help them out.

The bandage is a very small item, light weight and life saver.

I bring enough to tools to fix almost anything, guess I need to worry about fixing up wounds as well. I have a decent first aid kit, but have some items to add it looks like.

The Israel bandage is standard issue for all military members in a combat zone. I carried several with me in AFG this past year. They are the do everything bandage that can apply pressure at the same time. Even brought several home with me along with a tourniquet system that I procured an extra one of. I carry them and several quick clot packages (from Amazon) with me for all rides. You can get the gauze that is permeated with it, which works better for the novice user than the powder.

I'm not concerned with the minor cuts and bruises, I'm worried about the major injuries that if not properly treated right can be the difference between life and death.

Good info in here. Anywhere local I can pick up a couple of the Israeli bandages?

Good info in here. Anywhere local I can pick up a couple of the Israeli bandages?

Amazon has them for $9 delivered.

I was able to score a couple from ... local sources.

I carry one of these on the job and with me on EVERY ride...

http://www.officersurvivalsolutions.com/products/pocket-pack-series/trauma-plate-pack-detail.html

I believe the most important component to have is a tourniquet. A friend of mine's life was saved by a tourniquet when his arm was severed down in baja.

You guys are scaring me...I carry duct tape and superglue, and that's about it...and yes; I've used both for trailside injury repair. I'm sure there is a sweet spot between "unprepared" and "ready for anything", but I'm nowhere NEAR the middle.

Mac Meda destruction co. sticker. havent seen one for years. good stuff. Had some shirts in 70s and 80s

Mac Meda destruction co. sticker. havent seen one for years. good stuff. Had some shirts in 70s and 80s

My uncle was a founding member and Jack Mac was my mailman growing up. Great guy. Got me totally faced on my 21st at the West End. Could have used some O2 and an IV for rehydration the next morning for sure.