Goofy Footer

Shaving Seat Foam

I'm debating purchasing a Seat Concepts "Low" seat for my bike but at $160, I'm somewhat interested in trying to cut down my stock seat foam. I don't have much time before my upcoming ride (I'm moving this weekend..) but I figure it might be worth a shot to shave it instead of forking out moolah to have new foam.

I have neither a pneumatic/electric stapler nor a hot knife. Does anybody reasonably local to SD proper or East County have said tools and would be okay with showing me the ropes on how to mow down some foam sometime this weekend? I'll take you to lunch in return of said favor!

maxresdefault.jpg

I got a small electric stapler man, you re welcome to it.

I have shaved a couple seats.. of course you know that im function over form/trends so I dont mind little imperfections. Its really not that hard just take your time. I think i used a bread knife. Also I used a grinder to smooth the foam and angles after cutting, it was like making a foam sculpture and that worked good in my experience.

Yo, Tim:

I'm replacing the cover on my Bill Mayer seat now. It came of easily but putting it back on was a biatch.

My 15 year old Craftsman electric stapler gave up the ghost mid-way through.

Gonna replace it this weekend with a quick trip to Harbor Freight.

If you don't have one by this weekend, HMU and I'll get it to you (along with the torque wrench I've promised you for over a year now!).

Welcome to the garage. Stapler, sanding stuff.

Son Dave did the DRZ seat with above - bread knife and sanding blocks.

Welcome to the garage.

I might have to take you up on that offer - how does some submarina or that local burger place sound?

Electric turkey carving knife works good too, rotary sander to smooth it, and a hd staple gun. Hot glue does not work. It forms hard ridges. I cut my ktm seat down by half so my feet can touch the ground.

I've done a few of these over the years and have everything you need. If you want to come up to Ramona, we can knock it out. DD can come along too and we'll staple up his seat. Pneumatic is the only way to go with this project. HD and electric staplers are not sufficient.

I have done quite a few with a regular stapler; yeah- they don't all go all the way in, but it works.

What I found works best for a fairly tight fit is to set the front of the seat first, taking care to be perfectly straight.

then set the back portion, pulling it tight so the seat almost curves in... then use the sides to pull it tight through the middle.

What I found works best for a fairly tight fit is to set the front of the seat first, taking care to be perfectly straight.

then set the back portion, pulling it tight so the seat almost curves in... then use the sides to pull it tight through the middle.

does that mean you agree, or I'm stupid and you wanted to save my quote for posterity?

does that mean you agree, or I'm stupid and you wanted to save my quote for posterity?

He's typing in invisible key strokes, duh.

I have a pneumatic stapler you are welcome too.

Of note, I have had 3 low seat concepts seats and they are well worth the money. I tried shaving a seat and the problem is if u go too low you have insufficient cushioning. The seat concepts seat uses a much denser foam that holds up better even though thin. You road my husky, remember how cushy that seat was??!! Seat concepts low!!!