sdspearo

Yet another new guy

Native San Diegan here, living in Encinitas. Just took the PSC motorcycle training class in order to get my M1. Don't plan to ride on the street much except to get to the trails. I'm in my early fifties and getting a bad case of mid-life crisis! Not exactly new to bikes since I had dirt bikes in high school (Can-Am Bombardier 175, RM125, and even an old Penton 125 trials bike). I remember having posters of Roger DeCoster and Hurricane Bob Hannah on my bedroom walls. Spent many a dirt bike, surf, spearfishing, hook and line fishing, etc. trip in Baja over the years. I've always wanted to ride down to Cabo taking mostly dirt roads, so now's the time to start planning. Just started looking at used bikes and the BMW G650GS/Xcountry/Sertao and KTM 690 Enduro are catching my eye. Once I get a bike I'll be on the look out for the newbie rides :)

Welcome to the club! I'm in Encinitas as well, there's not a ton of dirt here but at least enough to give your bike an unexpected bath.

GM02Coel.jpg

Look forward to riding with you!

Welcome aboard. Getting back at it with all the changes in bikes over the years can be interesting. Enjoy the hunt.

Welcome to the forum. Never give up on dirt bikes! Riding dirt bikes is like a gift from God, and you never know when that gift will be taken from you, so ride every chance you get!

• welcome to the club... once you decide on your bike, post up a ride and get acquainted with some of the group. All sorts of rides going on here, from technical singletrack, to rides to Alaska

Welcome to the club! I'm in Encinitas as well, there's not a ton of dirt here but at least enough to give your bike an unexpected bath.

GM02Coel.jpg

Look forward to riding with you!

You pulled that off, right Winty?? :heh:

welcome to the club from another noob-one day in mid 70s privateer Chuck Sun showed up to ride in the small town of Bombay Beach on the highway 111 side of the salton sea and i was hooked for life! Had the Hurricane Hannah poster as well. Have fun out there-got my eye on the 690 also but im a few years out, loving the light quick feel of my 350 EXCF right now.

You pulled that off, right Winty?? :heh:

Thought I saw a fish, had to take a closer look.

Cool, if you ride on street around town I'll have to keep an eye out for the Blue WR450.

Welcome aboard. Getting back at it with all the changes in bikes over the years can be interesting. Enjoy the hunt.

Speaking of changes...what's up with those kick stand switches? I mean, really??

Yup. And clutch safety switches.

I was surprised to find neither on my '13 Road Kouch......which I appreciated.

DO NOT buy a BMtroubleyou...get the KTM and save the sorrow!

Having said that buy any bike that works for you and ride it...

Welcome sdspearo!

That's just mean, Afry.

Although, Having said that, the 690 gets my vote..

Welcome sdspearo!

That's just mean, Afry.

Wow, that says a lot, coming from a BMW owner.

I know of at least one place in SD that rents the G650GS. I'll have to rent one for a day test ride. Still looking for a local place that has a 690 as a rental.

Welcome sdspearo!

That's just mean, Afry.

Wow, that says a lot, coming from a BMW owner.

I know of at least one place in SD that rents the G650GS. I'll have to rent one for a day test ride. Still looking for a local place that has a 690 as a rental.

Yeah you won't find a 690 for rent cause they sell every one the dealers can get theirs hands in advance. By far the best bike in it's class. YMMNV lol

Okay I'm officially a member now...just picked up a 2011 F800GS. Still on the back of my truck, I just need to figure out how to unload the beast without dumping it! I don't even own a helmet yet! After I get all the riding gear I'll be up for a big bike newbie ride.

if you need help unloading, let me know. I live in Enc as well. I have ramps.

Helmet is a good idea first time unloading the bike.

Welcome to the jungle.

D.

Congrats on your new bike. I hadn't ridden in years and picked up an 04 525 exc a little more than a month ago and have been on two rides with some of the "boys", and they have been very gracious. Enjoy your Beemer, it will serve you well. Ride safe.

if you need help unloading, let me know. I live in Enc as well. I have ramps.

Cool, I'll take you up on your offer. Check your PM.

Thanks!