EddieEarl

Picked up a CR500 for the dunes

I'll ride with you. Been looking for someone to ride sand with. My 14 RMZ450 wont quite hang with the mighty 500 but I can stay close.

We've been riding Superstition or Glamis or Gordons Well almost every weekend. PM me if you want to go or post a ride.

I'm down for desert every weekend until it gets to hot out.

right on - ken

i'll PM you when it gets closer ... we're taking off thurs feb 19 staying thru that sunday

i hear about 56HP @ 5600rpm

That is sick. More than ktm 500 and lighter

i hear about 56HP @ 5600rpm

It's not just the insane HP...it's how it's delivered...all at once.

If it kicks easy you may need a top end. I used to run two copper head gaskets on my 490's when running dry slick mx. It slowed up the power delivery and gavery better hook up.

But you won't need that in the sand:)

Like Schwinn said...the ONLY way to start a big bore bike is TDC!

Otherwise you end up with pictures like Slut's....of your own extremities.

Miss my CR500 (buddy broke his back riding my bike, sold the possible bad omen).....may end up on the shopping list soon.

I just figured out why CR500's are so scary. It's b/c of all horrifying legends and reports of people getting thrashed on them, or riding them once and then selling them, or from all the broken backs this bike seems to claim. There's got to be as many equally great stories of sunshine and unicorns pooping skittles, right? Somebody tell me that's the case. Bueller? Anyone?

@ Arnie -- fully agree. The torque curve is RIDICULOUS.

RIDICULOUS=SMILE!

Nice bike! Used to ride an '86 YZ490 with my buddy on his '87 CR500.... What a blast! Every bike has it's own personality, get to know it and you'll be one of those telling the great stories! My 490 was stolen off my truck in Santa Paula a while back and it's been replaced with an '82 CR480. Soooo much fun! Even though they feel like they have a bunch of power down low, keep the rpms mid range and higher when you're dicing it up with the 4 strokes. Someone above said TDC....couldn't agree more! Always start from there and kick it hard. Enjoy and post pics a lot of pics :)

The KTM 550 MXC...the largest two stroke over mass produced (excluding the ATK Intimidator). The 700 Inimidator makes about 65 HP stock according to ATK. The 550 KTM makes about 62 HP stock (with a pipe and reeds about 65 to 67 HP). These bikes will walk away from the CR 500 and KX 500. These are great bikes and if you find one....scoop it up! LIKE I DID! :coolio: Here is a write up from Dirt Bike Magazine: "They don´t make ´em like this anymore. That´s too bad considering this bike made "Maico" like power. Its thunderously strong 548cc engine was ridiculously smooth and easy to manage! This engine character, along with the additional engine size made the KTM 550 the fastest in its class. Suspension: Oddly, the big Kaytoom´s suspension was delivered way too soft for motocross work. Out in the open and on the trail, the White Power suspension delivered a comfortable ride. Lots of 550 owners stuck stiffer suspension springs on it though. Handling: It turned well, but not as sharp as a Honda CR 500. It was fairly stable at high speeds. It gave just a hint of headshake. Stiffer suspension springs helped the bikes overall feel. Reliability: KTM 550´s were known to blow water pump seals at times. There were some unconfirmed reports by the author that ignitions failed once in a while. Overall, the KTM 550 was a very long lasting dirt bike that provided years of service when provided the most basic of maintenance. Odds & Ends: The KTM 550 is an outrageously fun big bore bike! It´s still an extremely competitive mount today. If you want one of these, you´ll probably have to hunt far and wide to get one. If you´re lucky enough to find one, buy it"....LIKE I DID! :crying_anim02::smile_anim:

I don't ride it as much as my WR but, I sure have a blast on it when I do. I have been thinking of selling it...lord knows I don't need that much bike any more but, it's so much fun...except the starting part that is... :bigeyed:

Get that 550 beast plated with an AZ plate! That would be SICK.

Double E - That's not a bad idea! :coolio:

I had an 89 KTM 500 DXC. That bike was incredible! In the 60s HP range, not to far from Dress4less' 550. Never got a chance to ride the other KTM 540 or 550, but hear the 500 was the most aggressive and violent power delivery of the 3 big bores. My 89 was a couch in the desert. It is another bike I regret selling and would love to find another.

I have heard stories about the 500 DXC. The big difference between that model and the 550 MXC was the smoother, more controlled delivery of power from the 550. Whether your riding(holding on :coolio: ) a CR500, KX500, ATK700, KTM500 or KTM550, the big bore two-stroke adrenaline rush is hard to match. :smile_anim: Smoke on!