EddieEarl

Picked up a CR500 for the dunes

Well, I debated on whether to try and outfit my '13 500EXC for the dunes, but decided against it. Could she do it? Yep. Was it the best idea to put a paddle on a plated / geared Enduro bike and mob it thru the dunes? Probably not. So, I picked up a clean CR500 instead. I grew up on 2 strokes, but can't say I'd ever sat in the saddle of the 500. I see why they're so legendary. I was blown away. Can't wait to get it out in the dunes. We're heading out the weekend after Presidents Day if anybody wants to join - big family trip - camping around wash 10-12. The more the merry.

(and yes I let the bike warm up a bit before this little ride)

BS you are brave...there are many bikes that scare me CR500 being one of many......your dang Suzuki DS bike scares me for goodness sakes!!!

So jealous! I keep eyeballing CR500AFs, just gotta find a tailor to make one leg of my pants bigger after kicking it over.

@ robert - thanks... i run with a couple guys out there that have 'em and they swear by the bike for the dunes

@ bikeslut - no s***! On the way to pick it up I got sweaty palms just thinking about the test ride I knew was about to happen

@ andy - i hear those AFs are incredible machines ... the cheapest one i found was about $6K

Bad ass bike. That one scares me as much as my old YZ490 (Widow Maker) did!

Have fun with that wicked power band.

I had an 89 CR500 back in the 90's when I'd take my kids to Glamis.......loved it once it got up and running but kicking it over was a pain in the ass (leg).......especially that initial morning start......now my dunes days are behind me and I'm a magic button guy.....hard to imagine going back to a "kicker".......though a 250 would be fun......

That said, I think you made the wise choice......2 stroke thrasher for the dunes and save the enduro for it's true mission statement :coolio::smile_anim:

Have fun :good:

Congrats! That is one nice clean 500! Your video brought back some memories.

I had bought an 85 CR500 in 1985 that had been ridden once. It scared the guy so much he wouldn't ride it again. I MX'd it for a year but didn't like the suspension and head shake on those early ones so I went back to the 490.

Hey quick question for you guys ...

The guy I bought it from had it valved for the dez (not dunes) and sprung for his 250lb self. I'm 200 geared up and riding dunes. You think I should give it a shot, or just re-spring now?

So u and ur bro going to drag up olds to see how's is faster lol. I know his bike needs a top end that thing kicks over easy

a drag up olds is definitely coming ... so, if the 500 kicks over easy that means low compression or something?

From all the story's I have heard about how hard they or to start I think so but would like to test ur compresion vs his

I agree with Do's and Dont's on your Enduro and CR 500s

I found my KTM 525 did very well in Glamis.

My KTM 690 ...FAIL...In Glamis.

CR 500 ...My favorite in Glamis but scared me on track days in dirt...No engine braking...

CRF 450 R Great anywhere..

The black AF Service Honda CR 500 on the stand is my dream bike...Priced out at $18.K in that pic...

post-596-0-76478400-1423512587_thumb.jpg

post-596-0-49002000-1423512613_thumb.jpg

post-596-0-98162700-1423512689_thumb.jpg

post-596-0-25419200-1423513088.jpg

good call on suspenders - i'll hit em up

on the start i've seen guys dip it over to the left (supposed to release a bubble/pressure in the carb)

i've always just understood they can be tricky but should start if you're not either flooding or starving it for fuel

i think the air/fuel screw and a good clean pilot really help, too ... just never heard it had anything to do with compression

there's 1 way to tell though ... mob his, then mob mine ... mine has a new top end, only 40 miles on it

i don't have anything to compare it to though ... i just know it was sooooooo nice on that powerband ... pretty magical feeling

@ Schwinn -- bitchin pics

yeah i'm going to give this 500 a chance in the dunes

i told myself if i don't like it i can sell it pretty easy and go back to the CRF450R

biggest issue for me is the suspension ... gotta figure that one out

Mine started easy.

MUST wear boots...

TDC and kick it like you mean it...Nothing halfass...

I always leaned it on the nearest Quad tire when letting things cool down.

I actually stand on the quad tire with left foot when kicking thru.

My buddies CR 500 on 17" rims...Bykas Fat Paddle

https://www.google.com/search?q=bykas+fat+paddle&espv=2&biw=1067&bih=497&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KBrZVOzMIM-KNrisg5AJ&ved=0CE0QsAQ

post-596-0-48209400-1423514141_thumb.jpg

i had on bates combat boots for the rest ride ... and they just happen to have a vacant spot of tread right where i put the kick start lever

BAD IDEA ... my foot slipped right off on the 1st kick and she gave me a little kiss i felt for hours

post-15780-0-55710100-1423515338_thumb.j

Nope...that was moto-boots (cheap ones)...I also got the "combat boots/kick starter to the shin"...and got a gash down to the bone that 6" long...gear up...anyway. Nice bike; enjoy the desert before it heats up