danrider

I want a new tent

post-13882-0-93620600-1422763970_thumb.jI have a great tent that I used in Alaska and it was the bomb (US Marine Corp Tent Black Diamond). The tent weighs about 11 pounds with the footprint. I told my wife that I would like to buy a new tent that would be lighter (around 4.5 to 5 pounds in weight). She told me to loose 8 pounds and save the money, go figure.

I have heard the same comment from my wife. LOL I lost 1 or 2 lbs and went out and bought a 6 lb tent. Done.

If you put helium in your tires, it will offset that extra weight....now you don't have to buy a new tent or loose weight. :heh:

I agree, Dan. The USMC tent is the bomb, but it's just too dang heavy.

Let me know what you end up doing, as I usually get what you get!

REI, here we come.

Dan you saw the Black Diamond ones that CID and I have.

MSR Hubba Hubba, 3.5 lb, easy to set up and plenty of room.

Dan you saw the Black Diamond ones that CID and I have.

As always Ken you are right about the Black Diamond, I have been looking on Craigslist and on ebay for one. I have not had the luck you have had for $180. I have not given up yet.

Used the REI Half Dome 2 Plus on my trip to Prudhoe. Awesome, light, and big enough to keep all my gear that wasn't in my panniers in the tent when it rained, and still have plenty of room for me. Wife and I use it for light weight (read: non-car) camping.

I have the Eureka Backcountry 1. I believe it weighs in at about 4 pounds, give or take a little. It has an easy to enter side door. I am 6'2" and it is long enough inside I don't hit the ends while stretched out. There is even a little room lengthwise to put some things in for the night.

Mountain hardware Direkt 2

MeasurementsApparel Fit:

EquipmentWeight Packed: 3 lb. 5 oz. / 1.49 kg.

Weight Minimum: 2 lb. 10 oz. / 1.20 kg.

Tent Capacity: 2

Number of Poles: 2

Number of Doors: 1

Number of Vestibules: 0

Length Packed: 10 in / 25 cm

Diameter Packed: 5 in / 13 cm

Backcountry 2 is a great tent but pretty small for multiple night trips that may have wet weather needing to stash gear inside.

I just bought a Mountainsmith Celestial which is the same as the Morrison 2 from Sierra Trading Post. If you sign up for their email crap they will start sending you discounts. This tent was $126 but I paid $88. I like lots of room on longer trips and this tent has it, weighs 5 lbs and has aluminum poles that are only 15" folded.

Keep in mind tent pole length is important when packing light and tight. Also pack poles separately and you can compress the tent more.

This thread is handy
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858061

So I ended up researching lightweight tents. Found quite a few promising ones but ended up buying the Big Agnes Burn Ridge Outfitter 2-person tent. That makes about 5 I have now!