silvy1200

Stabilizer questions

this might be a dumb question, but are stabilizers bike specific? on road/off road also? Could they be adapted to different bikes? TIA

Both GPR and Scotts sell "street" stabilizers and dirt stabilizers. The mounts are specific to bike - triple clamp and headstem configuration. You can go over the bar or under the bar (submount). What is better depends on your personal bike setup, preferred handlebar height etc etc. I like the idea of a submount as it raises the bar height and keeps the stabilizer safe from potential theft under the bars.

GPR is located in Otay Mesa and offers free rebuilds on the stabilizer. Scotts is located in LA (I think) and charges for rebuilds or you can mail it to BRP in Colorado for a rebuild ($20-35).

I use Scotts and swear that it has saved me several times. I have two stabilizers which I can always switch over to different bikes as long as my other bikes have the mount plate and frame bracket.

While many use them....I myself have never used one....not even on my 950 in the desert sand.

I prefer to ride my bikes and let them do what they're gonna do without a stabilizer.I have ridden friends bikes with stabilizers and just don't feel the need....just my opinion.

Exception...my Ducati 748 sportbike came with one from the factory.

I have to agree with KTMrad . I dont use them and never felt the need too.. and my bike does 91 m.p.h. in a sand wash....

On err time I ran a bungy cord from one side of the gas tank all the way twisted around my bars and back to the other side of the tank and that did make a difference.

(Poor mans steering stabilizer)

Just kidding I dont recomend that last part.

On err time I ran a bungy cord from one side of the gas tank all the way twisted around my bars and back to the other side of the tank and that did make a difference.

(Poor mans steering stabilizer)

Just torque the hell out of the steering stem nut. ;)

I run a Scotts and love it. Definitely feel a difference, especially at high speeds. A lot of guys don't realize there is quite a bit of "adjustability" of the damping on the Scotts, both low speed and high speed. Just like your suspension, you may need to play around with it a bit to find a setting you like, but there's no doubt race teams run these for a reason. They're legit.

I've owned bikes with and without stabilizers, I don't think I would go out of my way to purchase one but if a used bike comes with a stabilizer I'm not taking it off. I usually turn the daming adjustment down as low as it goes.

I bought a bike with a fancy one on it, left it alone until following Bikeslut in Corral Canyon I found I couldn't turn quick enough to stay on the trail (a craftsman always blames his tools), I turned it down on twisty stuff and up in sand washes, it really helps with steadying the bars at speed when you hit a sneaky rock or deep ruts etc.