Goofy Footer

SDAR Death Valley Trip ~ March 6-8, 2015

What actual range is needed for DV, 150? 200?

Also do we have a group for a ride out of sd yet?

I have had few problems with 150. Like what Wintyfresh said, the way the valley is you always end up on or near Hwy 190 with gas at PVR, SPW, or FC. If you'r out by Cloride Cliffs and Rhyolite, Beaty is also an option for gas and lunch.(fun road for big bikes)

Are you camping or Hoteling? I am really thinking of going, I would be taking my big bike. Are you going to ride up or trailer up? I would be interested in ridding up if someone wanted to join. I can also truck up too. I have never been on this trip but have heard a lot of good things about DV. I would say I am 100% in unless I get called into work. Let me know of others that have committed because of ridding up with someone or pooling up with someone. Thank you.

Dan, I just read this and we have talked about this. I will be in Yuma for a Car show if my MB is ready by than. If the is not ready. I will consider to do DV. I hope to know this in the next two weeks. My wife will be in Germany and don't care where I spend my weekend. I would trailer and bring the LANCE.

Just 2 let you know. The Mercedes runs again(after 3 year) and I will go to the "Midnight at Oasis" in Yuma.

Im planning to drive up leaving Thursday morning. I have a 4 gallon tank on the drz. Will i need to carry gas for exploring out in DV?

I also have a little room in my van for luggage if anyone thats riding up doesnt want to carry with them.

Im planning to drive up leaving Thursday morning. I have a 4 gallon tank on the drz. Will i need to carry gas for exploring out in DV?

I also have a little room in my van for luggage if anyone thats riding up doesnt want to carry with them.

You should be fine. Saline valley up Lippincott to Tea kettle back Hunter Mtn is only 150miles. Last year GoofyFooter and a friend, both on DRZ's rode over Goler to Striped Butte and out to Furnace Creek for his Birthday, 150miles. If you have room for a bundle of firewood, the group site that CableJockey reserved has a fire pit.

Will i need to carry extra gas on my bike for the day rides. Whats the max miles between fill ups?

Ill buy a 5 gallon jug and bring that in my van if that will help. Just wondering if ill need a rotopax can. I prob get around 40mpg but not for sure since i had put a new carb and cams on recently.

Edit: thanks flexfab i feel better now. Just trying to prepare for everything and something keeps coming up.

What actual range is needed for DV, 150? 200?

The longest stint between gas options on the tracks I posted is 140 miles.

kato, i'm planning on riding up if you want to ride together.

hydro, if i could throw a duffel in your van i'd appreciate it.

Anybody riding up on a street bike? I'm thinking about heading up on a K1200LT. No off-roading on that thing. If anyone is riding up strictly on pavement, let me know. I'd like to join.

kato, i'm planning on riding up if you want to ride together.

hydro, if i could throw a duffel in your van i'd appreciate it.

Johnny thats fine just get it to me Wednesday night.

I'm still lurking...

If I go I'll head up after work on Friday... with a 0230 planned arrival...

Ride Sat/Sunday... I'll plan to sleep in my suburban...

I'm the "Tim's friend" referenced above...

I'll be on the drz...

150 mile gas range has been great for all the routes I've taken in DV. I've used my 4 gallon tank on the DRZ with no problems.

check CableJockey's post from last year for a quick overview of the potential DV tracks http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17198-death-valley-spring-march-7-9-2014/?p=167388

Goofy Recommended DV Loops:

Racetrack Loop - Approx Mileage 120

- Start at camp in PSR and head west up the pavement twisties to Saline Valley Road and turn R (north). Continue on the main road towards South Pass, stay left at this pass and go back down the hill heading North towards a rock cairn and head L (east) up Lippencott. It gets a little bumpy towards the middle/top of the hill but take your time and power through and you'll reach the Racetrack Playa. Head L (north) to loop around the Racetrack and hit Teakettle Junction. Turn R (south) and loop back towards South Pass via Hunter Mountain. Once at South Pass again, turn L (south) onto Saline Valley Road and head back to the highway then PSR.

Barker Ranch / Badwater Loop - Approx Gas Range needed 130

-Long day but scenic and a great big mile DV loop.

-Start at camp in PSR and head east down the pavement and turn R (south) at the highway. Continue south until Indian Ranch Rd and take that into Ballarat Ghost Town. Continue south until eventually turning east into Goler Wash. Look for the right turnoff to Baker Ranch for some sightseeing then continue up Goler Wash to Mengal Pass. Drop down into Warm Springs and look for the Geologists Cabin to your left on the hill, I recommend visiting it. When riding down Warm Springs, look for the Warm Springs Cabin / Mine on you right. Eventually work your way to Badwater Basin and turn R (north) on Westside Road then loop into Furnace Creek for gas then slab home.

-For the more technical folks, look for a dirt turnoff R (south) on the highway just east of PSR. This is Nadeau which is a rocky sand wash but will take you south on dirt and avoids some pavement. Keep heading south and eventually turn L (east) towards the highway and look for Indian Ranch Rd to start the next portion of the loop.

-For the fast or nutty folks, consider heading towards Titus Canyon after getting gas in Furnace Creek. You can do Titus and then refuel in Stovepipe Wells. If you're really ahead on time, do the Chloride Cliffs loop en route to Titus (you will likely be riding home in the dark even if you're ahead on time).

Darwin Falls Loop - Approx Mileage 60-80? maybe less

- This is a shorter but more technical day. This could possibly be a good ride for Sunday or the morning before you leave back to San Diego.

Start at camp in PSR and head west up the pavement for 1-2 miles and take the L turnoff towards Darwin Falls. Follow the main track up the hill and follow your GPS as it gets a bit twisty but you'll eventually work your way up a wash and a small gulch until arrive at the town of Darwin. You then continue and loop west/north towards the pavement and ride the highway back to PSR.

Chloride Cliffs / Titus Canyon

- This ride is on the north east side of Death Valley. You can ride slab there OR drive your truck (might not be a bad option as a last day ride, you could load your truck and drive over and then reload post ride and drive home). Titus is One Way - east to west.

-Titus is definitely worth doing and taking the time to go visit. It's similar to Fish Creek in Anza Borrego and is a very scenic loop. This is big bike friendly and the big bikes could slab over no problem.

-For smaller bikes, consider taking the Chloride Cliffs loop and you can head north east into Nevada and gas in Beatty or head north to the start of Titus. Look for the ghost town Rhyolite just east of the start of Titus.

Pleasant Canyon / South Park Canyon

- This is a more techy loop with minimal pavement that launches from PSR. Pick up dirt via Nadeau just east of PSR and head south through the wash. Work towards Indian Ranch Rd / Ballart Ghost Town. Head up Pleasant Canyon behind Ballart and eventually loop south and return via South Park Canyon back to the main road. Look for multiple cabins along the route. This loop has rocks, high elevation and steep climbs/descents. For extra credit, head south and hunt for the Escape Route to Trona and then work your way north to PSR.

Hot Springs Loop

- Big Bike friendly out and back ride to the Hot Springs. From PSR head west up the twisties to Saline Valley Road. Head over South Pass and continue north on Saline Valley Road. Hook a R (east) on Steel Pass and look for the Hot Springs. I'm not sure on the mileage but it's an out and back so plan accordingly. Caution: there may be old nude people, there could be cute european chicks, there could be sweaty bikers dipping in the springs..

CableJockey, any ideas on what mines you want to go to? I've made sure the flashlight on my bike works this time. With our lack of snow up here, Cerro Gordo may even be open now.

Something came up and Im out unfortunately. This will be fun looking forward to reading about it

Flexfab,

You know the area well so if you don't mind the "tour guide" mode I'll leave it up to you. Most of the mines I've read about are on the southeast side and doing those when camping in Stovepipe Wells or Tecopa would be a better plan. And I agree, headlamp, extra flashlight, and extra battery.

I want to do Panamint to Beatty (for gas) to Titus to Scottys Castle to Ubehebe crater and back to Panamint. 64 miles to Beatty and 140 for the rest of it and it's all slab except for Titus. I'm thinking of bringing the KLR for that ride. Google Maps says that it will take 5:45 which probably means 8-9 hours with stops for gas, food, dirt naps, and pictures.

I'm going to come through Trona and will arrive around midnight Wednesday night. I have no idea where I'm going to park and sleep since we don't get the group campsite until somewhere around 2pm on Thursday.

Just FYI for everyone. It appears that someone has rented the group site for Sunday which means we will have to vacate the site by 11am Sunday morning.

John

As you wish, tour guide it is sir. I think I know some of the stuff you're referencing on the East side. WarEagle, Noonday and Columbia mines are a few of the attractions out that way. Shoshone RV Park is also an option for a base camp for that trip. What day do you want to do Titus and Scottys, and are you wanting to do the tour? I'll have to beg mercy if you bring your KLR as I'll be on my 250. I can do a quick counter sprocket change to try to keep from giving the mice a heart attack. ( no horses here) :whistle: That will be a good day! When you come in Wednesday nite, there will be a spot waiting for you at Panamint. I will already be there in spot # 43 in a blue GMC dually. I will try to get you #45, easy access.

Flexfab,

Thanks for grabbing a site, I'll buy you dinner. Since the speed limit is 55 we aren't going to be screaming down the highway. I assume that they still enjoy writing tickets out there.

I would pick Friday for the Titus run only because I would expect more traffic on Saturday and Thursday I want to be back in the 3-4pm range to get setup at the group site. I would do a tour at Scotty's if it fit our schedule. You're welcome to take my DRZ. I want to see how well I do with the KLR on the sandy roads down Titus otherwise I would have only brought the DRZ. I'll have tools with me if you want to do a sprocket change.

Kato & HotRod82,

Sorry you aren't able to make it.

John

626-533-1352

All,

I reserved a 2 person tent cabin for a riding buddy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights but he isn't able to make it. If anyone is interested, let me know otherwise I need to cancel the reservation first thing Tuesday morning. $105 for the three nights.

John

626-533-1352

A spin around Death Valley sure sparks an interest for me and I will research the possibilities at work tomorrow. My hope is that I can sneak out of town either late Wed. or late thursday for the drive up, and get 2-3 good days of riding in. My old pick-up and camper will likely tow an old trailer with a drz400 and a wee-strom adventure. So canyons and dirt one day and slab and maybe some very smooth dirt the other. If I can load a few things for adventurers that will bike up, watch the post to see if I am a go and I would be happy to throw sleeping bags and tents (and filled coolers :) in the back. I can bring Firewood too. If Friday requires me to be at work, I may just ride up from El cajon on the vstrom for a wander knowing that a group site has buddies and a place to throw down a bag and tent out in no-mans land. Cheers. John

A spin around Death Valley sure sparks an interest for me and I will research the possibilities at work tomorrow. My hope is that I can sneak out of town either late Wed. or late thursday for the drive up, and get 2-3 good days of riding in. My old pick-up and camper will likely tow an old trailer with a drz400 and a wee-strom adventure. So canyons and dirt one day and slab and maybe some very smooth dirt the other. If I can load a few things for adventurers that will bike up, watch the post to see if I am a go and I would be happy to throw sleeping bags and tents (and filled coolers :) in the back. I can bring Firewood too. If Friday requires me to be at work, I may just ride up from El cajon on the vstrom for a wander knowing that a group site has buddies and a place to throw down a bag and tent out in no-mans land. Cheers. John

CableJockey and I will be doing some canyons to check out a few mines on the little bikes. And on friday doing an easy day out to Titus and Scottys Castle, this will be big bike friendly. Only one catch, you have to promise to have fun. :coolio:

Guaranteed Flexfab, Thanks. I do not need to ride both bikes, but when best, and more pleasant to choose one, especially 6-7 hours of slab, or rocky canyons or sand, nice to have a choice. Last update of trip schedule has me driving north late Thursday with a very late arrival, likely just pull up and sleep till coffee at sunrise Friday. Yahoo, that in itself will be great and all else is just icing on the cake! :)

Anybody riding up on a street bike? I'm thinking about heading up on a K1200LT. No off-roading on that thing. If anyone is riding up strictly on pavement, let me know. I'd like to join.

I am coming up with a dr650, but my father also has a 1200 gs but with street tires and will not be going off road, he will be riding pavement only also. We are staying in one of the cabins by the campsites, you will see us there. Coming up friday.

Very jealous for those of you going. A recent job change has left me a lot less freedom to take Friday's and Monday's off as needed for trips like this.