jimi

A little time to kill at Plaster City

I suck riding in sand, so decided to try and get a little more practice in at Plaster City this afternoon. Other than a couple of dirtbike tracks I saw, and maybe one Razr track, I had the whole place to myself.

6rzmzR4.jpg

Temperature was great, but, well, I still really hate sand. I didn't really air down like I should have, and still don't have a steering damper on the bike. Maybe that will help a little. Or I just need the balls/skill to open it up more.

Tried to get up a few of the hills closer to 8, south of the train tacks, and I could never get up enough momentum to make it up the steeper hills.

7SBX9GO.jpg

There is some amazingly soft sand in some of those gullies out there. Keep at it, sand get's easier after a while.

dude if you need some sand lessons I used to hate it and now I love it; im happy happy to help. we could just go out and spend 2 hours practising you might really enjoy it after.

dude if you need some sand lessons I used to hate it and now I love it; im happy happy to help. we could just go out and spend 2 hours practising you might really enjoy it after.

I could use 3 hours.

That would be awesome!

That would be awesome!

Have you taken the time to set up the suspension on your new bike? Proper sag and valving is essential especially in the sand.

i just pull the throttle wide open .

sit back over the back tire and loosen elbows and finger grip.

and if theres a rock i look away from it . if theres a corner i tend to cut and roost

love sand ...my husky 610 gets up on top of it and flaots across the top. then skims across the whoops .

love it .

becareful though its easy to get going to fast and get thrown .

i love that pic of the buried bike ..!

did you go up into the coyotes mnts?

Sand is easy in a straight line- just pin it and go. Anybody can.

But when the trail bends & twists- you know, around trees- or deep whoops, the "pin it" technique is no longer valid.

"Have you taken the time to set up the suspension on your new bike? Proper sag and valving is essential especially in the sand."

These bikes are quick steering. With front and rear sag wrong,, they can throw you Quick.

B

blind corners are tough .. i normally swing wide then try to catch that lip on the outer edge .

a good rear tire lock up will help positin the bike and get the rear suspension preloaded. then point and shoot.

not so with the smaller engine bikes . those require a little more momentum and finesse :)

whatever you do make sure you got a buddy with you . a friend hit a rock in a wash and broke his collar bone ride before last.

the 5 gallon rock didnt even move and casused him to hi-side.. bad. its out there in the washes of where you were past some yellow poles.

That would be awesome!

Have you taken the time to set up the suspension on your new bike? Proper sag and valving is essential especially in the sand.

No to both. I wanted to feel out the bike a little with the stock settings before making any changes. I've seen mentioned someone on here that can do suspension work. I figured I'd do something along those lines after I had given it a chance to break in a little. It's only got a couple of hours on it at this point.

My 14 RMZ450 was one of those bikes that's very squirrely.

Made lots of changes but the most effective to stabilize it for me for the least money was putting on a longer chain and moving the rear wheel all the way back.

Jimi i think you passed me on the 8 eastbound friday at dawn, by alpine. white truck bike in the front? i could be wrong, my eyes were half shut frosted.

fun pics. my 2c: in soft sand ride weight back, up on pegs, and with the throttle. in turns blip the throttle (but dont let go of it) and steer with the pegs (not the bars) to put the bike's nose were you want it to go. you know, sorta