RogerTOWM

Down Hill techniques

I think I went to the left side from the picture,when I SAFELY passed the two riders

CRAIG. :)

Nice edit Craig, besides, there is no-where to SAFELY PASS anyone on that hill! Be courteous to other riders, as I am sure you were once a slower un-experienced rider. The race belongs on a RACE COURSE.

I am old and slow, That is why I dont race any more.

If you dont race, then do us a favor and leave the RACE ATTITUDE in the garage next to your retired number plate. I hope I have a chance to ride/chat with you in person and I am sure we can all learn from each other. I felt that the above had to be said. Ask anyone whom knows me, I will tell you "straight up", like it or not. No hard feelings, just stating what needed to be said. Time to move on as I think this thread has beat itself to death.

I think this thread has beat itself to death.

Echo, echo, echo

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

Charles De Mar from "Better Off Dead"

Trailer

Classic!!!! I know what movie I'm going to look for next time I'm at Fry's...

"I want my two dollars!!!"

:huh::)

(yes, I realize this has nothing to do with anything in this thread)

Well, it's like the words to that old song "remember thread is dead" :) Okay maybe it was "Fred" but "thread" seems more fitting right now. :):huh:

I have been thinking every time I go down HA hill I wonder what it would be like to go up that thing.

I have been thinking every time I go down HA hill I wonder what it would be like to go up that thing.

I have been wanting to do a ride through the park the opposite way that I usually go so I can try to go up it also. After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :) Ken

I have been wanting to do a ride through the park the opposite way that I usually go so I can try to go up it also. After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :) Ken

I know of people who have made it. Last time we were out there one of the guys I was with tried it up the left side and made it about 2/3 of the way before stalling. He would have tried it again but there some jeeps getting ready to come down so we went on our way.

I think he could have made it in another try or two. I'd give it a go on the trials bike, but probably pass on the Husky.

Time to move on as I think this thread has beat itself to death.

It certainly has come full circle

CRAIG. :)

Hammer - perfect tag line...

After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :) Ken

Me too :huh:

Okay, so I got in at the end of a dead thread... :o Well, I usually put my weight as back as possible, leave the bike on first, try not to use the clutch, use front and back brake barely, and let the motor and the breaks stop me as much as possible... Then, either I make it down on the hill, or almost crah and make it (this is the best one :D ), or end up going down :blink: . But, well, I have never tried the hill you guys are discussing. Last year at Desert Dash I only did day one, by Sunday I could not get up... :lol:

I left my motorcycle pride and show off for my younger days... Now I'm modest, don't have to prove anything to anyone, and I don't mind being the slowest one at times... I don't believe in racing in the general trails as it places people in danger and I believe in safety. There are tracks and places where you can race safely. When I was a teen I used to do rock climbing, and also climbed high montains... At that age you want to show off, and be the best one (not be a chicken :lol: ). So one time when I was 15 I tried to run down Popocatepetl in the ice and snow... I ended up falling and sliding down uncontrollably all the way down tearing all my clothes, and almost killing myself (I was able to barely stop before some rocks) :blink: Those days are over... I have matured (I think :lol: ). Now I try to have fun and hopefully with out any broken bones... :o

After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :blink: Ken

Me too :lol:

I wanna work on making it DOWN without falling before I try to ride up it (and fall) :lol::o:blink:

I'm back... I really missed this thread :blink:

Pyro... which drop is that? Diablo or Pinyon?

I haven't been down Diablo yet, but I hear it's easy :o

Bump for a kick ass thread!

(i just picked the scab, huh?)

I have been wanting to do a ride through the park the opposite way that I usually go so I can try to go up it also. After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :o Ken

Here ya go...

Pinyon Mountain Road is one way. Not just because of "The Squeeze". It's designate one way on the Park Map.

(Someone please clarify if I am wrong - thanks!)

Oh... and some pics of a 4WD rollover on Heart Attack Hill :blink:

I have been wanting to do a ride through the park the opposite way that I usually go so I can try to go up it also. After the rains there should be good traction. I am in. :o Ken

Here ya go...

Pinyon Mountain Road is one way. Not just because of "The Squeeze". It's designate one way on the Park Map.

I have always heard it was one way, but none of my maps show it as being one way?

I have always heard it was one way, but none of my maps show it as being one way?

With your record, I would double check... just sayin... :o

p4220023e.jpg

Here ya go...

The maps I have designate pinyon and Diablo as one way, as well as the short drop to the slot near Buttes Pass... but I didn't see any signage at any of them...

perhaps it's more of a suggestion than a rule, so people don't get in over their heads?

I have seen it designated one way as well on a couple different maps.

That doesn't mean you couldn't ride it the other direction though. I think it's more because most vehicles can only make it in one direction.

I know a lot of people who ride/drive up to the squeeze or drop off and then turn around and ride/drive the other way.

I have seen jeeps climb the hill a number of times. I've also watched them go down the hill, sometimes having both rear wheels come off the ground as they drop into hill.

The bitchy ranger guy with the bad teeth who hates bikes, told us that a woman had been killed there in a 4x4 rollover last year. I know that they do roll over from time to time - very scary for me to watch them go down - must be really scary to be inside the jeep.

With your record, I would double check... just sayin... :blink:

p4220023e.jpg

That time didn't bother me as much as the time they buzzed us with the helicopter. Pyro's skid mark comming down heart attack hill had nothing over my shorts that day. :o:blink: . Ken

Both Dropoffs, Diablo and Heart Attack Hill, are supposed to be one way....down only. I wanted to include going UP the Diablo Dropoff on the Desert Dash ride, but they would not allow it.

The reason is, they don't want jeeps & 4x4's tearing up the terrain trying to get up the hills.

Here ya go...

Yes, that's what I have heard too. You are not supposed to (as in " not Allowed") go up The Slide or H A Hill as people seem to call it these days.

That's good advice. The better technique is to put the bike in first gear and kill the motor, then proceed. Another huge plus to using this method is that if you spazz out (like me) and loose your grip, your bike is auto-braking if the clutch is released. Nice!

Thanks d ! :o

That's "great advice", Troy! U smot! :blink:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

It would be fun to race down this hill. Anyone? :D:blink:

My disclaimer: I've never even been on Heart Attack Hill, but I'm throwing in my 2 ¢ anyway - about hills in general.

GEAR SELECTION

I like to take steep hills a gear or two high. If you're in low gear and your speed starts getting away from you, you overspeed the engine. In a higher gear, you still get some engine braking and it's smoother than what you get in low. If you're in low and your speed has gotten a little fast, you can slow down by letting out the clutch, but you don't get smooth deceleration. You get a rear wheel skid and jerky deceleration. Letting out the clutch to slow you down in a higher gear is smoother and more comfortable - at least to me it is.

If you leave the engine running, you still have the throttle if you need it. Even when you're creeping along down a steep hill, the bike will respond to the throttle in a higher gear. It won't even feel like you're lugging the engine.

If you're in a gear or two high and you accidentally stall the engine by locking up the rear wheel with the clutch engaged, the engine starts up again smoothly. If you're in low, it's not so smooth.

RIDING POSITION

On steep hills, I stand and move my knees to the back part of the tank. If you squeeze the seat right behind the tank, you'll find that the bike is a little narrower right there. Depending on how steep the hill is, you can hold up your weight by locking your knees into that little notch right behind the gas tank. Try not to put any weight on the bars. If you don't have any weight on the bars, your front wheel will be better able to bounce over obstacles without upsetting your balance.

If I move back too far, I can't pivot my foot far enough to reach the brake pedal. Another disadvantage of getting further back is that your butt will be close to the seat just above the rear wheel. Sometimes when the rear wheel goes over an obstacle, the seat can kick up and hit you in the butt upsetting your balance. So, for me, squeezing the seat just behind the gas tank is a happy medium.

SPEED

Mentally, think of a downhill as level ground, but your brakes suck and you've got lots of horsepower.

I agree with Hammer that more speed means more stability up to a certain point. I think about 15 MPH is the easiest speed for riding over obstacles whether it's on level ground or downhill. At about 5 MPH, balance is difficult as you go over obstacles. At about 25 MPH, it becomes harder to control where you go. If the hill isn't overly steep, a little extra speed can make it easier to negotiate.

Some hills are so steep, you just can't afford to let your speed get out of control. Well, at least for me, those hills are out there. To keep my speed under control, I use both brakes. I've found I can't ride down hills with the rear wheel locked up because my bike starts to jackknife. It straightens right up when I release the brake though. Just as on level ground, the front brake has the most braking power.

PRACTICE

You're going to have to try different things and see what works best for you. Find yourself a short really steep hill and see how slow you can go down. Once it gets easy, find a steeper one. Practice braking. Also practice riding over rocks as slow as you can.

---------------------------------

Now just watch me spaz out and crash on Heart Attack Hill on the Desert Dash.

Here's my best advice for the really steep stuff like 'The Drop' for instance:

Leave the bike in neutral. You may even want to cut the motor ((this prevents you from accidentally giving throttle on the way down, the worst thing you could do)). Do not use your front brake except for maybe a very little bit if things get crucial. Shift your weight way back on the tail end of your seat. This Keeps the rear tire weighted for as much traction as possible. Now using rear brake only, slide and skid your way down. It may not be pretty, but it works (for me). A group of non-SDAR guys made fun of me on the last Desert Dash when I used this technique to make it down The Drop. Hey, I made it ! Sometimes you gots to do what you gotz to do. In the photo below, you can see the skid mark I left from top to bottom on the right side of the drop. I could care less if people want to make fun of me and my less than eligant technique. Hey, that's part of the fun, right? . . The main thing is to go the distance, and obviously try not to crash, right? :D

sdar12-206ride031.jpg

Ah I remember that ride, That's Papaalex on the trusty DR and that's Pyro to the right of him at the top of the hill.....I talked to pyro on the phone the other night about that ride....It was one of the best I've done with this group: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=515

Here is a technique I used on that one that worked.....at the time of that ride I was still recovering from a broken ankle and did not want to push it so I whimped out on the straight aproach and picked a zig zag line off to the right and slowly eased myself down the hill..... :blink: the second time I went down it I was in 1st and pretty much used a semi controlled skid method to make it down without dropping the pig.

Oh and I just wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with riders hopping off the bikes to help other riders in the tight , technical stuff, like RO always says:

"NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND" :D