pyro

The Salton Sea and B E Y O N D !

The Salton Sea was calling me back for another visit, but this time I brought my posse: The BMW Ghost Riders! <_< I was pleased and honored to ride with these well manored gentelmen, and I owe them all a very special thanks for backing me up on this most excellent weekend adventure. We all battled through rain, high winds and chilly temperatures to get to the meeting spot.

IMG_0466.jpg

After some hot coffee, fried chicken and a few jalapeno poppers, it was time to hit the road. Leaving the rain behind, we headed east for the Salton Sea enjoying some of the local attractions along the way.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Traveling up the east side of the sea we passed several resort destinations including Corvina Estates, Slab City and Bombay Beach. We pulled off on a campground of sorts and I snapped a few photos.

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Approaching the shoreline it became obvious that there was something fishy going on.

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

There were dead fish laying around and the water looked brown and murky. The winds had kicked-up some wave action which was causing the water to foam up.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

There were birds everywhere out there.

IMG_0485.jpg

Returning to the Salton Sea was a strange experience that left me saddened, but it was time to leave the sea behind once again and go do a little exploring around the local areas.

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

The sun set behind the mountains and the evening was upon us.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Eventually we arrived at the offical start of the Bradshaw!

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

There are informative little structures built at various locations along the way.

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

There are also some interesting signs along the south side of the trail that tend to get you thinking . . .

IMG_0497.jpg

What a perfect set-up !!! It had dumped rain the day before so there was no dust. That made for awesome visibility and traction, not to mention the crisp clear air and an incredible night sky. At one stop about half-way through the evening, I saw 7 different shooting stars in the course of about 10 minutes. It was an absolutely spectacular night!

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Everyone had a blast out there that night. What a great ride ! Thanks guys ! We went all the way to the edge of California, and then everyone agreed it was time to get some rest. The next morning we awoke to perfect weather in Blythe, CA. I felt totally refreshed and ready to continue the adventure, so away we went through cotton fields and agricultural plantations on our way back west.

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

I had a fantastic time riding this weekend with a cool group of guys. Thank you Mr. Vice President for coordinating with the Ghost Riders and helping me make this great ride happen.

IMG_0486.jpg

It was a total blast riding with you guys! Let's plan another one soon, eh? :)

IMG_0489.jpg

Until next time,

Ride On Amigos !

Dammit, I missed a good one! hope to ride with you all on the next one fer sure! Thanks for sharing, great write-up!

Gunz

Troy,

I was all bummed that my TE610 was still in the shop. I really wanted to go on this one. But the Bradshaw at night? :blink: Dude you are a WILD MAN! :) See you on the next one with Chief.

Roger

Another cool thing was at night, while taking a break on the Bradshaw Trail, we could hear the training of 50 caliber machine gun fire and ordinance light explosions from the Military Proving Grounds. THE SOUNDS OF FREEDOM!

IMG_0501.jpg

Good thing you had the ghost riders with you. That looks like a free roaming, full torso, vaporous apparition floating over your bike! :blink:

How long was the ride from the start of the trail to the end (timewise)?

How come the ghost thing is only around Pyro. It looks like smoke! Troy can this run be done in the daylight? If so I want to go.

How come the ghost thing is only around Pyro. It looks like smoke!

Of course its smoke, its PYRO, he's on fire! Wait a minute, thats just his second hand death he is poluting the air with.

How come the ghost thing is only around Pyro.

Only a "Ghost Rider" knows the answer to that question. Geist Uberholt

(Only a "Ghost Rider" knows the answer to that question. Geist Uberholt)

Geist Uberholt = Spirit overhauls

I think I must have a bad translation! Oh wait the smokey ghost is overtaking him, right? :rolleyes:

Or is it the spirit of the ride overcomes him?

Pyro wouldn't be Pyro without a lit coffin nail sticking out of his mouth. :rolleyes:

Looks like a fun ride.....we'll have to get another one going soon !!

(Only a "Ghost Rider" knows the answer to that question. Geist Uberholt)

Geist Uberholt = Spirit overhauls

I think I must have a bad translation! Oh wait the smokey ghost is overtaking him, right? :rolleyes:

Or is it the spirit of the ride overcomes him?

Pyro wasnt physically on the ride, just his spirit as he is the newest member of the "Ghost Riders".

I was just googling some stuff and noticed that there may be a great return route for this ride that would keep you from running the same route back to the Salton Sea. It's a bit south of the Bradshaw trail and runs through the valley north of the Chocolate Mountains. I'd have to check some other maps, but it looks as though it is well clear of the gunnery range, which is further south and eventually spits you at by Niland.

I was just googling some stuff and noticed that there may be a great return route for this ride that would keep you from running the same route back to the Salton Sea. It's a bit south of the Bradshaw trail and runs through the valley north of the Chocolate Mountains. I'd have to check some other maps, but it looks as though it is well clear of the gunnery range, which is further south and eventually spits you at by Niland.

We did come out the trail by Niland. There are a number of different trials that branch off of the main trail though. We are working on a different route for the next one that will end in that area, but possibly start in Yuma. Stay tuned!

Did somebody say Bombing Range ? :lol:

redarmybomb.gif

The night fire exercises were cool. They were having some fun on those fireing ranges! And I wonder what the explosions/flashes were. There is tons upon tons of good stuff to ride out there for sure. We should do another trip soon, right?

The night fire exercises were cool. They were having some fun on those fireing ranges! And I wonder what the explosions/flashes were. There is tons upon tons of good stuff to ride out there for sure. We should do another trip soon, right?

Yes, there are alot of trials out there. Maybe for the next trip, we should head out Fri Night and stay in Yuma, thus we dont waste most of the day Sat getting to the dirt??

Right on, that sounds like a good plan! I know you have some more secret Ghost Riders' trails and routes out there to check out! :) I can't wait to get on the white phone to give my license plate# and say 'Hey, I'm the guy on the lime green motorcyle, please don't drop the bomb on me :) ' . . . :huh::D

Right on, that sounds like a good plan! I know you have some more secret Ghost Riders' trails and routes out there to check out! :) I can't wait to get on the white phone to give my license plate# and say 'Hey, I'm the guy on the lime green motorcyle, please don't drop the bomb on me :) ' . . . :huh::D

The route has already been ploted and put on the GPS. As soon as it is final with mileage, we will let ya know. Probably late January.