Dan Diego

Ogio Flight DS Vest

I saw this Ogio flight DS vest on FB. It has a 2 litre water system a zillion pockets.

post-14554-0-64646100-1409325406.jpg

Jerry, what's your version look like? Available soon?

Let's have the deets, man!

(That's as much hipster talk as I can stomach.)

I have this vest and it is very comfortable when riding, you need to balance the weight on the vest when you pack it. The next time you ride Baja call me and I will let you use it to see what you think, then you can decide if you want one. I really suggest that you wear it for a couple of days so you can get the feel of riding with the vest on.

I used this vest on my Rip to the Tip. It really is a matter of personal preference, I've never worn it since because I don't like to be hot when I ride and I didn't like the feel of it on me. I also don't wear a chest protector or body armor for the same reason. When it's cold it might be OK for me but then I have a big riding jacket on that has lots of pockets to carry stuff in. Just my 2 cents.

CiD

I have this vest and it is very comfortable when riding, you need to balance the weight on the vest when you pack it. The next time you ride Baja call me and I will let you use it to see what you think, then you can decide if you want one. I really suggest that you wear it for a couple of days so you can get the feel of riding with the vest on.

I used this vest on my Rip to the Tip. It really is a matter of personal preference, I've never worn it since because I don't like to be hot when I ride and I didn't like the feel of it on me. I also don't ware a chest protector or body armor for the same reason. When it's cold it might be OK for me but then I have a big riding jacket on that has lots of pockets to carry stuff in. Just my 2 cents.

CiD

Good info, guys. I see tne pros and cons but will just have to try it and see how it works.

On a related note, I own but don't wear a tool fanny pack because I've been know to fall and don't want to be impaled by tools I carry on my body. If it happened to anyone, I'd be the one...

I had the flight vest for a few months and only used it once. It's a great thing to have for medium to high speed, dirt road, cruiser rides. Once the speeds get slower and/or the cruising ends the real downfall to the Flight Vest presents itself. Wearing one is HOT. Like wearing a jacket that weighs 20+ pounds. I used mine once and sold it because I pack light and ride slower terrain. The capacity of the Flight Vest begs to be packed full with non-essentials just because you can. I firmly believe that when heading out for a ride the guys at www.motorcyclejazz.com have it right.

"Pack the minimum that you think you can get away with then chuck half of what remains. Light is right. If you carry a lot of heavy stuff you will end up needing every bit of it."

I've seen the above theory demonstrated many times. The guys that pack the most drop their bikes often and wear out quickly. The crew I ride with now all use backpacks. The right pack will load up with tools, snacks and water and still keeps your chest open for proper ventilation.

Not saying you won't like the Flight Vest, just a different opinion and food for thought. There are a few others here that have the same experience as I have and may chime in.

I rode with a fanny pack for about a year. I now have the bike carry most of the tools. And I got it down to the bare minimum tools. get a fender bag to carry bike parts, front and rear should take care of most of it. if it doesn't fit, probably don't need it, buy a smaller version of it, or it is a part that routinely doesn't go out.

small hydration pack with gear for you. I ride solo a lot and my bike carries its own gear stuff, and I wear my own gear, which usually consists of gear to stay the night should the worst case scenario happen. I reserve the fanny pack for LONG rides.

oh and I will slap around jerry to see if he will reveal the secret squirrel gear...lol I know he and I have both been VERY busy the last few months. he more than me, but he has some free time now, maybe we can get the ball rolling on it.

I agree with RobATK, carry as much as possible on the bike. Carrying on yourself will tire you out quicker.

For day rides:

I use a rear fender pack with a spare tube, space blanket, cable ties and Leatherman. My tire irons are cable tied in my air box.

For multi-day rides:

I use the Wolfman E-12 bag (for first aid kit & spare clothes) and a small fanny pack for select additional tools. The fanny pack allows me to rest it on the seat, when sitting removing the weight off my back.

The only item on my back is my hydration system.

I've seen many people carry pliers, wrenches, etc... cable tied to frames, cable tied to the inside of your hand guards or inside your skid plate