Guest Crusty

Check out the new African Twin CRF. 1000

Until one of these Hondas actually exists and is for sale on our shores this is all just white noise.

ss... you're saying the KTM 950 and 990 riders don't need to move over quite yet?

I'm saying this could very possibly go the way of the 660 Tenere, another cool bike we don't get.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660z.aspx#gallery=image|image=http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2014/XTZ660/2014-Yamaha-XT660Z-Tenere-EU-Yamaha-Blue-Studio-002.jpg?width=950&quality=75

2013-Yamaha-XT660Z-Tenere-ABS-EU-Matt-Gr

or the street legal 450F

2014-Yamaha-WR450F-EU-Racing-Blue-Studio

Because I'm sure even if this does happen that Ktm and the rest will just settle. They bring out new and improved models every other year. By the time honda gets around to actually making this bike it will be five year old Ktm technology.

Guest Crusty

Because I'm sure even if this does happen that Ktm and the rest will just settle. They bring out new and improved models every other year. By the time honda gets around to actually making this bike it will be five year old Ktm technology.

If it has any KTM. technology, most people won't buy it. LOL.

I sure wouldn't.

I made this mistake this morning, when talking about it with my tile contractor.

I compared it to the KTM.

He said no KTM's Harley's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He likes Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.

I had to change the tittle, don't want this bikes image spoiled.

So you get your knowledge from a tile contractor. Explains a lot

Guest Crusty

No I used to work at a KTM. and Husky dealer.

A lot has changed since 1980

Have to say thats is a pretty offensive statement. Lic C54 # 783811 If you are not smart enough to figure that out, its my tile contracting Lic #, DICK!

Have to say thats is a pretty offensive statement. Lic C54 # 783811 If you are not smart enough to figure that out, its my tile contracting Lic #, DICK!

Chill, he's not disparaging tile contractors, he's disparaging the irrefutable motorcycle knowledge being shared by Crusty as related by his contractor. Big difference.

I made this mistake this morning, when talking about it with my tile contractor.

I compared it to the KTM.

He said no KTM's Harley's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He likes Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Sounds to me like Crusty is basing his opinions on which are the best bikes from his tile contractor. That doesn't mean his tile contractor (or all tile contractors for that matter) aren't awesome. Just not usually the first place you'd go to get expert advice on your brand views. Unless of course he's an SDAR member. :P

Not meant to be offensive at all. I'll give you my plumbing lic number if you would like it. 30 plus years. Sir!

Not meant to be offensive at all. I'll give you my plumbing lic number if you would like it. 30 plus years. Sir!

I am not HIS tile contractor. But you being a contractor and making a statement like that is lame. This site is made up of all kinds of different job descriptions. All have some advice to share about their experiences with motorcycles. Since you are a plumber does that mean your advice regarding motorcycles is worthless? If you have a problem with Crusty you would be better off directing your comments too and about him!

LOVE this website... lots of positive discussion on this topic... I can hardly WAIT to see the CRF1000!

LOVE this website... lots of positive discussion on this topic... I can hardly WAIT to see the CRF1000!

I dont see you running out and buying a 990, would you really be interested in the Honda 1000? I think KTM has actually moved farther away from the niche market they were holding with the 950-990. I think the company that fills the void between the 700-900 cc bike will be front runners. As long as it is a worthy off road machine. I know BMW has the 800, but I dont see many people riding or praising its attributes.

I absolutely would...I have had numerous 1000cc bikes, and got rid of each because it was too "focused" (except my VTR which was stolen)

FZR- too brutal

CBR-too racy

VTR- stolen

ZX11- too big

V Strom 1000- too big for dirt, too flaccid for street

I also agree the midsize, if dirt-worthy enough, might be the sweet spot. 700 to 850

Also- isn't the new KTM an 1190? Street bike in dirt clothes- that doesn't interest me...

And Dick, how about them Padres?

I really like my new F800GS

Good to hear.

I also agree the midsize, if dirt-worthy enough, might be the sweet spot. 700 to 850

I wish companies would start rolling out models in this range. Anything that comes out I will have to give it a couple years to prove itself.

I really think KTM opened up a slot for a new model when they dropped the 990 for the 1190. It only makes sense for an 800-900cc adventure bike especially since they will have the new 500 & 800cc parallel twin motor manufactured in India.

http://overdrive.in/news/ktm-considering-production-of-its-all-new-500cc-and-800cc-bikes-in-india/

Guest Crusty
Friday, May 2, 2014
2015 Honda CRF 1000 Africa Twin
2015-CRF1000-Africa-Twin.jpg

My absolute dream bike is in development -- the replacement to the Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin (RD07), which ceased production in 2003 and was never, ever, available in the USA.

Not a lot is known about the new bike yet other than that it is definitely coming. Leaked by the CEO of Honda Italy early in August, 2013, it was announced that a proper Honda dirt-worthy ADV bike was coming for 2015 and that it would be a twin. Simultaneous Honda Uh'merica filing of the "Africa Twin" name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office sealed the leak to be truth -- a new Honda Africa Twin is definitely being made *and* it will be available for me and all of my closest friends to purchase and ride.

Life just keeps getting better.

A week ago, German publication Motorrad published an artist's conception of what this machine could very well look like. It looks oh-so-tasty. Combined with an article Moto.it published around the same time, the purported spec sheet is worth salivating over, especially as we can predict this motorcycle won't be too expensive.

Rumored Specs:
  • 900-1000cc parallel twin engine (let's hope for a 270 degree crank)
  • 100 bhp
  • 397 lbs dry weight / 440 lbs wet weight
  • 5.2 gallons of fuel
  • 21" front wheel (spokes front and rear)
  • Visually similar to CRF 450 Rally bike

Reference posts:

Asphalt & Rubber: Rumor: New Honda Africa Twin Coming? To the USA Even?!

Asphalt & Rubber: More Honda Africa Twin Rumors from Europe

http://www.moto.it/news/nuova-honda-africa-twin-crf-1000.html

CRF1000MotorradCover.jpg

You can hang a star on it!

I am not HIS tile contractor. But you being a contractor and making a statement like that is lame. This site is made up of all kinds of different job descriptions. All have some advice to share about their experiences with motorcycles. Since you are a plumber does that mean your advice regarding motorcycles is worthless? If you have a problem with Crusty you would be better off directing your comments too and about him!

Don't worry he knows I'm just giving him a hard time. Don't take it so serious man it's just a little razzing between like minded folks on the interwebs. I am nowhere close to "DICK" mode, sorry you took it that way.

Guest Crusty

And this is what it's all about.

MotoBum's Obsession This Week

(Quote)

My absolute dream bike is in development -- the replacement to the Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin (RD07), which ceased production in 2003 and was never, ever, available in the USA.

Not a lot is known about the new bike yet other than that it is definitely coming. Leaked by the CEO of Honda Italy early in August, 2013, it was announced that a proper Honda dirt-worthy ADV bike was coming for 2015 and that it would be a twin. Simultaneous Honda Uh'merica filing of the "Africa Twin" name with the United States Patent and Trademark Office sealed the leak to be truth -- a new Honda Africa Twin is definitely being made *and* it will be available for me and all of my closest friends to purchase and ride.

Life just keeps getting better.

I just located another artist's conception of what this Honda may look like along with some rumored specs:

- 273 HP / 300 Nm tq from 125cc supercharged parallel eight cylinder engine

- 72 lb wet weight

- flux capacitor allows time travel at 88 mph

- stealth technology for unlimited trails

- optional missile launcher / flame thrower to clear traffic

- beer tap

14154574943_53f1e51b47_o.jpghonda by tntmo2, on Flickr

Until one of these Hondas actually exists and is for sale on our shores this is all just white noise.

ss... you're saying the KTM 950 and 990 riders don't need to move over quite yet?

I'm saying this could very possibly go the way of the 660 Tenere, another cool bike we don't get.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660z.aspx#gallery=image|image=http://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2014/XTZ660/2014-Yamaha-XT660Z-Tenere-EU-Yamaha-Blue-Studio-002.jpg?width=950&quality=75

2013-Yamaha-XT660Z-Tenere-ABS-EU-Matt-Gr

or the street legal 450F

2014-Yamaha-WR450F-EU-Racing-Blue-Studio

Vacman is probably right, the bike will get launched in Europe and we'll be out of luck...again!!! But, this thread is one of the more entertaining on the site, so let's keep it going