Logroller

Tires, are you up to helping me make a decision?

Okay, it's almost time to trade out the now semi-slick rear tire (some have said it is far past the time :crazy: ) for some square knobby traction grabbing rubber action.
Currently the front and rear are older generation Dunlops - front D739, rear D756f.

Either way I need new tires and perhaps you can assist in my decision making. They are for a '06 Husky TE450 and while the bike is street legal, it is 99.8% dirt ridden. It never sees groomed tracks. It is on rock, boulder, hard pack, loamy and sand. For example, I ride just about all of Corral Canyon i.e., 12, 11, 8, 9, 5, 3, 3a, Scout, Winchester, etc, as well as everything at McCain including the single track and small to big rocks.

Okay, now you know the bike and terrain. Now to more specifics. I'm looking for good grip on the hard stuff, but will work in softer conditions and a tire that will last, like the tires I have now, but I don't want a tank Maxxis lasting tire. Not looking for a DOT tire per se.

Brands are probably the usual suspects, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Perilli, Michelin. I know Dunlop has a little rebate right now and that is enticing. Let the diverse opinions flow.

Cheers, Logroller

post-15129-0-52729700-1396290404_thumb.j

post-15129-0-35340100-1396290410_thumb.j

I ride Corral Canyon weekly (and monthly in Ocotillo) on my Bridgestone M404(rear)/M403(front) tires and love them. They definitely last longer than MX51s! I will, however, be trying out Motoz offerings, as I continue to hear much good about the Motoz brand, too...

Michelin desert race front and rear. Long lasting tough and lots of grip. Bit pricey but it will last and last and last

go with an intermediate tire in any brand that makes you happy. it will cover your needs best.

Sweet crap man! I'm glad I saw this before you went and wasted any $$$$.

Those tires are damn near new.

Whoever is telling you to replace them has more money than sense I tell ya.

When you can see the casing; then it's time to start shopping for deals. (or dumpster diving; my method)

Ride the slide.

Message brought to you by SicVic; a name you can trust

post-14596-0-73153300-1396302743_thumb.j

I agree with VIC, I think you got a few hundred more miles out of that one. Easily. Don't let others dictate your tire wear. Replace it when YOU think it's ready or the manufacturer says it's time.

Since you're street plated do you want to stay on DOT tires and keep your bike technically legal? If so, I've been happy with Pirelli Scropion XCMH and Michelin AC-10. I really liked the Pirellis on my Aprilia and the rear Michelin AC-10 better than the front, but all will last surprisingly long if only ridden offroad.

Okay boys, let me clarify. I may have exaggerated how many people were saying the rear tire is done. And by no means do I feel pressured in getting new rubber, just because people think I should or not.

Yes, there is life left in it, and I do......at times.....like how the rear can spin under power. But on the flip side I am liking less how the tire is getting squirrely and has lost its grab luster. It has about 1/4" tread height left in the center, but with a sloped tooth. Guess I could flip it for some more grab.

As for the front, yes outside of some rounding and chunking (softer compound + rocks = tread chunkage) it is pretty good. However it too is losing its luster in the drier conditions.

Anyway, the need still stands, whether today or a future date new rubbers are always better than used and thus means I will need some.

Have you considered a Pirelli MT-43 trials tire for the rear? It's not everyones cup of tea and I'm not a big fan of it in the desert where it's predominantly sand but in the mountains\single track I have found it to work well. Of course you need to run low pressure like around 7psi.

I'm a MT43 fan. As Vic's picture suggests; even THAT bad they get traction

If we were just getting into winter, I might suggest a desert tire, but not now...

MT43 rear with an XCMH front

Also agreeing with VIC, you got ample time on that badboy..

Now... My tire recommendation... Maxxis Desert IT hands down.. Their rear is best offroad tire ever produced in my opinion.. They front is MEH and too stiff, but i still run it..

Some love em, some hate em... What is fact: They last forever, and you can ride em flat with no damage to your wheels.. Truth..

My cheapass runs these due to their lifespan... I have tried damn near everything too.

DISCLAIMER: I only recommend these due to your 99.8% use on dirt ratio.... They are horrendous on pavement..

My bike still has the stock DOT Maxxis crap.. I will ride them until they are done spitting knobs at Bikeslut and then replace with above.

That is my .02

Carry On

When you can see the casing; then it's time to start shopping for deals. (or dumpster diving; my method)

Ride the slide.

attachicon.gifSAM_0812(1).JPG

MT43 Rear..... How many miles did you get out of the last two rears? 10,000 miles give or take?

I just looked again at MC Superstore and the MT 43 Rear is still on sale but, it went up in $ by a $1.82. Weird...last week they were $71 and this week they're $72.82. They have a coupon posted the gives you an additional $5 off.... under $68. Hmmmm

For those who know and care....this is a great deal. No I don't work for them. Just lookin' out for the peeps.

Now... My tire recommendation... Maxxis Desert IT hands down.. Their rear is best offroad tire ever produced in my opinion.. They front is MEH and too stiff, but i still run it..

Oh yeah. I forgot about those. Last time I tried to buy one they couldn't be found anywhere. And I looked for months.

They do work great in the dry summer dirt. I may have to get one when the time comes.

Guest Crusty

I like the tires you have, but would take them off one of my 99% dirt bikes and install

on one of my 50- 50 trail bikes.

I like the 403-404 combo better at most tracks,

they also worked well in San Felipe, O.W. Corral Canyon, Baja and vista.

Ride the slide.

attachicon.gifSAM_0812(1).JPG

MT43 Rear..... How many miles did you get out of the last two rears? 10,000 miles give or take?

I just looked again at MC Superstore and the MT 43 Rear is still on sale but, it went up in $ by a $1.82. Weird...last week they were $71 and this week they're $72.82. They have a coupon posted the gives you an additional $5 off.... under $68. Hmmmm

For those who know and care....this is a great deal. No I don't work for them. Just lookin' out for the peeps.

Ok... I have been out of the loop for 5 years or so and don't EVER recall seeing this type of tire on the trails BEFORE.. What are the advantages of it? See quite a few people using them now..

Oh yeah. I forgot about those. Last time I tried to buy one they couldn't be found anywhere. And I looked for months.

They do work great in the dry summer dirt. I may have to get one when the time comes.

Yeah, they are the deal in my opinion... Have used them in all sorts of terrain and weather with zero issues.. Never even a flat!! There is a reason ya cant find them, they are usually snatched up by all the race folk because they are bombproof! :) Mike at FTP in Santee gets them easily when you need em. Good pricing too!

This topic is like a "which oil do you use?" post, the opinions differ to infinity - :heh: . With that said, keep the opinions coming as I have time to make the purchase, because yes there is tread left on the existing rear and I have other things to take care of on the bike that have priority.

Those Motoz look interesting.

On the fence about a trials rear.

I know the Maxxis are tanks for life, but they're also tanks in weight and girth.

I thought about the Bridgestone 403 and 404, and I see it's stock on a bike or two.

I know the Maxxis are tanks for life, but they're also tanks in weight and girth.

Yeah... I also have ample girth and weight, so a few pounds of extra tire to prevent me from changing a flat in the desert could possibly save me from Cardiac Arrest! :)

Maybe this is an easier way to look at tires.

What is the downside to a Perilli MT43?

What is the downside to a Maxxis Desert IT?

Waht is the downside to the 403 and 404?

And any other tire listed or not listed.

MT43- not GREAT in sand...not very good on really loose uphills and downhills, and bad in snow and mud

Another huge plus: the soft carcass makes it the easiest to repair flat

The Maxxis are terribly stiff and hard to change-in my limited flat changing experience

MT43- not GREAT in sand...not very good on really loose uphills and downhills, and bad in snow and mud Another huge plus: the soft carcass makes it the easiest to repair flat The Maxxis are terribly stiff and hard to change-in my limited flat changing experience

Yeah, that's what I figured, not good for the loose stuff, due to the tight knob config. Now if I were just rock hoping, sha-wiiing.

By loose stuff, I mean steep, loose DG. For Corral and Lark and Jacumba I think it's great

As for the image and the comments- I, too run mine about 14 pounds. They don't ride flat for$hit...a D606 runs pretty good flat, and I'm sure the Maxxis Desert IT will, as well...if that's a need, steer clear of the MT43

Back to the picture...it will still grip like that; I have a beat up front in my garage that I replaced for the dash...it was still gripping better than the MX51 I replaced it with

I have just installed the old style Enduro Tractionators on my WR300, but the latest ones are DOT. I haven't ridden on the new tires yet, but have read a barrage of reports on the Husqvarna forum about how good they are. I'm hoping that they are as good as has been reported.

I have just installed the old style Enduro Tractionators on my WR300, but the latest ones are DOT. I haven't ridden on the new tires yet, but have read a barrage of reports on the Husqvarna forum about how good they are. I'm hoping that they are as good as has been reported.

I see that Gp and C&D actually carry them or are at least a dealer.

Update: Don't bother spending money on the Motoz tires...unless you want to buy a set that has only been used once, and I'll sell them cheap.