paulmbowers

What year DRZ is best?

It depends a bit on the model. In 2002 the S model got a suspension upgrade (the E already had it), in 2003 they got revised cam chain tensioner. In 04 I think the California E models lost the FCR carb, and everywhere in 07. In ~08 they went from a cotter pin to a locknut on the rear axle (but the cost to upgrade is less than a fast food combo). Not sure what else if anything changed besides a few cosmetic tweaks.

The correct answer would be the 1998-99 Dr350 biggrin.gif

03 has the marginally better suspension

If you can get one with the FCR carb and the think base gasket, you will really appreciate the power boost. I hear mixed reviews about the edelbrock carb

GET the springs done by George... HUGE difference

thumpertalk is your on-line friend... specifically Eddie Sisneros, if you can deal with his directness on answering questions. He is running a business that seems to cater to the DRZ crowds (as well as others)... Thumpertalk case savers are the first order of business... MCCT, grinding the foot levers, red lok-tite

Forrest at Wheeling has all the answers for upgrade details- levers, brakes

If you are serious, you are welcome to join me for a small bike ride around Lark on Sunday; I'll bring my KLR and stay off the really tough trails

E model with the backup kicker. Hands down.

I'd Neverrr be caught riding a flat magnet black S model with orangutan bars and childish superhero stickers!

E model has:

No junk street legal wiring

No heavy speedometer

No passenger pegs

Grease nipples for the swingarm

Rim locks

Kickstarter with manual decompression lever

Higher compression

Revvier cams

Higher redline

FCR carb

DRZ parts are easy to come by. 4 gallon ims tank, hid/led headlight (bike is dc, does not need stator mod), George Spinali suspension and you're ready to rock.

Unabiker radiator guards, case savers and skidplate for protection.

Wide ratio gears are available.

Plated E model is the only way I'd ever go for a DRZ.

I've never ridden an E version, nor an FCR version, nor a bored out version... so I don't know what I'm missing

I really think you (Paul) will be completely underwhelmed with the power delivery these things make... and the top heavy nature of the bike... and the sucky suspension

Which is why I am offering mine to ride on familiar terrain; it's when you will really see the shortcomings of the bike (understanding I like mine a lot)

The WR was SO much faster and well composed through rough stuff, that it wasn't even funny; connecting the corners on the WR was like being shot from a cannon; the DRZ is like being squeezed from a tube (if I may paraphrase HST)

goofy- my superman logo got torn off in an altercation with a boulder... but I understand what your saying :rolleyes:

If you're not afraid of kick starting a bike, the K is probably the best handling DRZ400 out there since it's considerably lighter. Throw a Rekluse on it and don't look back. Difficult to find one, even more difficult to find a plated one.

That's the DRZ400K.

no... the K is kick only

E has the Electric starter with Kickstarter back up

no... the K is kick only

The E never came factory with a kickstarter. It can be added to the E or S model.

I'll be damned, I don't think I've ever seen the kickstarter on an E before.

I'll be damned, I don't think I've ever seen the kickstarter on an E before.

right. You have to add it

That's the DRZ400K.

400K was kickstart only, the lightest DRZ. Desertrunner and Wildwood have them in our club

My 400E has both electric start and factory kickstarter. Baldbeemer's old one was the same way. I see them often enough on CL.

I've seen E's without kickstarters. I'm happy I have mine.

Yep, kickstart only here. It's an easy bike to start and I'm young, so I don't mind. 249lb dry, so nearly 50lbs lighter than the S and reasonably peppy with the cams, FCR, and higher compression. Honestly, it reminds me of the older WRs with a little less power and a bit less suspension capability. If I had to replace it, I don't think I'd even consider the S model just because of the amount of money and work it would require to be comparable.