paulmbowers

Noobish ride Sunday, December 22nd 2013

My only video. Slow and steady. Who is this rider? I'm not good with names.

I know this guy as "me."

Oh yeah... Ken! The guy I had a burger and beer with! :wacko:/>

Hey Paul,

I think you led a great ride. Even though I had been through there before, you led us up and around some areas that I usually just blow past. When we reached a more difficult area, you stopped and suggested alternate routes. No way around the water crossing but, hey, nobody fell. Just a few wet boots. That's how you learn. I also had never seen those WWII bunkers, even though I had been up and over Otay Mtn many times. I was with the group that headed down the Pio Pico way. We stopped at Brody's burgers and engaged in some future ride planning. Thanks for leading us astray and thanks to that slut for bringing up the rear!

Some phone photos and screen captures. I'm still fighting with my internet to get the video uploaded.

1486902_10202991413052414_1049013453_n.jpg

1528472_10202991415892485_1611458037_n.jpg

580851_10202991419172567_1546220690_n.jpg

1511281_10202994240523099_254216442_n.jpg

944836_10202994231442872_1587488796_n.jpg

996742_10202994240003086_1555119901_n.jpg

1525638_10202994247363270_1002332855_n.jpg

1504027_10202994247403271_1730421810_n.jpg

1533941_10202994248003286_745784364_n.jpg

993820_10202994248723304_976788587_n.jpg

1497564_10202994250883358_199872335_n.jpg

1528711_10202994252043387_5175257_n.jpg

945427_10202994253443422_1348965577_n.jpg

1476372_10202994253883433_252052485_n.jpg

1508547_10202994256283493_1611421798_n.jpg

1474548_10202994257723529_272822635_n.jpg

Who else saw the huge bird riding the thermals near the top?

We all assumed it was a turkey vulture, but my wife suggested that California condors are making a comeback down in the area and even farther south...

Anybody else have a guess on wingspan? It was the biggest bird I've even seen

We all assumed it was a turkey vulture, but my wife suggested that California condors are making a comeback down in the area and even farther south...

Like your wife is some sort of bird "expert"?

Pfft.

Since somebody mentioned it might be a kite, and I refused to believe it was a bird until it dove in on something, anybody's guess is good. I'm going with huge.

Like your wife is some sort of bird "expert"?

Pfft.

Seriously

From a couple guys I invited from ADV.

One on a 1200 Triumph - Wish I had posting rights, would like to say some stuff on the post. It was a great ride, one of the best I've been on.

I was on the green F800GS. You? Good ride today, good group, nice weather. AND, I didn't bail in the water crossing over cobble...

It sounds like almost everyone had a good time on this ride, sort of wish I was feeling better so I could have gone. I know that noob rides can be a lot of work to put together and manage, having helped out on two of them in the last year.

Obviously everyone has a different skill set and expectation, and you won't be able to please everyone. Well done to all who showed up to enoy riding in San Diego county!

From a couple guys I invited from ADV.

One on a 1200 Triumph - Wish I had posting rights, would like to say some stuff on the post. It was a great ride, one of the best I've been on.

I was on the green F800GS. You? Good ride today, good group, nice weather. AND, I didn't bail in the water crossing over cobble...

OtayposingwithBSlut_zps6875b13d.jpg

Thanks again for the heads-up Trophy. That was fun! Thanks Paul, BikeSlut & TrophyHunter for putting this together and look forward to riding with ya'll in the future. I shot vid, downloading now.

Since one clip is 23 minutes long, and 19 of those of minutes is a shot of the sky while the helmet is hanging on the handlebar, I have some editing to do..

Since one clip is 23 minutes long, and 19 of those of minutes is a shot of the sky while the helmet is hanging on the handlebar, I have some editing to do..

That'd be the Director's Cut.

Call it Art and you're golden.

Who else saw the huge bird riding the thermals near the top?

Anybody else have a guess on wingspan? It was the biggest bird I've even seen

Off the net..

TV bird

TVBird_zpsa4adfc0b.jpg

Cal Condor

CaliCondor_zps879ec204.jpg

Condor's have some light coloring on the underside of the wing but couldn't make it out at that perspective.

It sounds like almost everyone had a good time on this ride, sort of wish I was feeling better so I could have gone. I know that noob rides can be a lot of work to put together and manage, having helped out on two of them in the last year.

Obviously everyone has a different skill set and expectation, and you won't be able to please everyone. Well done to all who showed up to enoy riding in San Diego county!

I know they are a lot of work to put on, but these noob rides attract a LARGE number of riders every time they get posted. These noob rides have the potential to attract a lot of new members. 23 bikes! WOW. Keep up the good work!

great motos, terrain, supervision, and video edit. I ran into another rider at the local pump at 7am and he said I'm going to this Noob ride down in Otay, I said me too and we rolled to the meet-up. i think the day cost me $8 in gas and $6 in snacks at a gas station (freakin awesome). I felt the pace was perfect and the hills the right amount of challenging. I took my DR650 out solo three other times to practice and test my gear before linking on to a group. This helped on climbs & descents. The valley or "dip" got my heart pumping as I was expecting it to be the water crossing, looking down the face I realized I better get on the throttle. The actual water crossing also took me by surprise because I had forgotten about it. The front tire slipped on a big rock but the bike powered straight there-after. It was cool to see so many guys waiting on the other side-to see if you made it or dunked it! I found I really enjoyed the ride because I was not worried about tracking a route or how to get back. I just took in the views. -as a total noob it was awesome having more experienced riders lead the way :good:

Sweet Emotion!

toys+in+the+attic.jpg

Pulled into town in a police car

Your daddy said I took you just a little too far.

I was along for this ride, I'm an experienced rider. I joined this ride as to be my first time with my KLR on any kind of dirt, knowing just what I read on the description that this would be a perfect time to try it out. I like others mingled at the staging area and greeted old friends as well as introduced to new ones. The riders meeting laid out just what to expect on who was leading and sweeping, pace of the ride, terrain and an assessment of rider ability during the first mile or two.

So the first mile or so was just that, flat road, then mild uphill with some turns and staging area at the top for review. All the time PB,BS and TH were attentive to all. Paul found some different obstacles to introduce to the riders, all optional and if was part of the trail had a bypass if needed.

I was impressed with all the effort these guys put into introducing noobs to dual sport riding, taking it on themselves to make it as safe as could be. I will join you guys again for sure.

Kelly

If anyone had a gps on during this ride, I'd appreciate the route. I've ridden the area before - as a way to get from Coors Amphitheater to Alta Rd/Donovan - but I didn't recognize most of the roads besides the entry point.

IM me, and thank you.

Yeah, thanks to Paul, Slut and Trophy for showing the noobs around. Sounds like a great time had by all and a great ride, nice turnout. Wish I was there, but still not dirt riding due to foot.

I would like to thank everyone involved, that was my first ride off road. Felt very confident in the group, had great direction and everyone was very encouraging. Classy bunch. Nice to see all the different bikes and riders make it through safe. I had the newer black and red KLR. I am truly hooked, see you guys an sunday. Again thanks.