paulmbowers

Noobish ride Sunday, December 22nd 2013

Don't worry about the water crossing. It's not a mandatory part of any route, just one PMB and I did while down there. There may be an OPTION to do it, while on video and being taunted by idiots, but not necessary to enjoy the ride. Plenty of work arounds for that one.

One more, "AdakTriumph" is in. He's currently waiting on forum sign-up confirmation so can't post yet.

Where is that water located? I am assuming in Otay Valley? If so, where?

If memory serves, the water crossing was right HERE on the "B" marker.

The gate at Heritage is still open (as of about 1300 today). I do have questions about access to Otay Mountain from the west side, however. I looked at all the access points I have found on GE and all were either locked or had many "no trespassing" signs. I looked off of Alta Road and another "new" side road from Alta south of where Alta dips into O'Neal Canyon. Did I miss one?

X-rays came out good and the doc says no more walking cast - just no riding for 4 weeks - see ya @ 8!

The gate at Heritage is still open (as of about 1300 today). I do have questions about access to Otay Mountain from the west side, however. I looked at all the access points I have found on GE and all were either locked or had many "no trespassing" signs. I looked off of Alta Road and another "new" side road from Alta south of where Alta dips into O'Neal Canyon. Did I miss one?

Last time I was there with paul...we started at pio pico, rode over Otay, down the other side, under 125, up alta, and back the way I came...didn't pass any no trespassing signs

I didn't go by the County jail, so I may have missed a connection there. Is that where you access? The signs were a bit disconcerting, yet Otay Mountain is on public land, so I would assume some sort of way from the west.

I didn't go by the County jail, so I may have missed a connection there. Is that where you access? The signs were a bit disconcerting, yet Otay Mountain is on public land, so I would assume some sort of way from the west.

I'm following Paul...he won't lead us wrong

I'm also still planning to go. I am curious to see how we get to the Otay road and to see the view. I've seen Otay Mountain from the top of Mt San Antonio and have wanted to go up for a long time.

Trust the Storm Troopers, they wear white uniforms. Wait, that's not correct, they are in Black. Oh My, Beware.

:)

I might Cruz down and follow y'all. Be on the small bike. Sweep or something old and slow :ph34r:

I'm riding out from Alpine if anybody wants me to swing by and pick them up

Not sure of my route-

OK!

Looks like a big group, weather looks good, we're all go for tomorrow.

A few observations- first, don't worry. This is a noob ride, and we are all here to help each other out. If a water crossing troubles you, stop before entering and we'll coach you, encourage you, applaud if you fall, applaud if you get through unscathed.

One thing I'll mention here and stress again at the mandatory riders meeting tomorrow shortly before our 0800 departure time:

**** You MUST ride your own pace, within your envelope of comfort.****

When we've had problems on noob rides (or any rides, for that matter) the #1 cause of falls is trying to keep pace with the group that is going too fast for that individual's ability.

A noob ride is done with the clear understanding that for the duration of the ride, those with great riding ability will slow their pace with the intent to help others. That's what we're there to do. Others have done it for us, and we are happy to pass on the privilege.

So, this is how it works- a lead rider will set a moderate, easy pace through terrain that is not challenging to an average rider. The sweep guys or others with more experience will operate as lookouts for the noob folks, and try to spot riders struggling or in need of coaching. That information will be relayed to the lead rider either via radio or at stops along the way (of which there will be many more than usual).

As a noob, if you ride above your ability, we might miss it which means you're not going to have an enjoyable ride. Nobody likes to ride in constant fear and struggle, and nobody likes to fall.

We assume we'll be riding slow- take advantage of the ride to learn and gain experience.party.gif Sweep riders are not there to push you harder, lead riders are not there to make you feel slow. If we wanted to ride faster, we wouldn't go on a noob ride.

But above all:

**** You MUST ride your own pace, within your envelope of comfort.****

Club members and ride leaders do not assume one iota of responsibility for the safety of anyone but themselves. We are not professionals operating in a professional environment, and this is not a formal instructional ride. Read prospectus before investing.

I might Cruz down and follow y'all. Be on the small bike. Sweep or something old and slow :ph34r:/>

John, trophy or anybody else with a radio?

we'll spread out accordingly...

is there a particular (minimum) range needed? I have a stock tank (120 miles) and will bring an extra gallon. See you all there!

is there a particular (minimum) range needed? I have a stock tank (120 miles) and will bring an extra gallon. See you all there!

that is plenty...plus some of us will be carrying a little extra

Easy to top off at THIS Shell Station just off the freeway on your way in. After that, you should be fine. I've done this ride plenty and ended up around 60 ish miles total.

Will have radio.

Ok, I'm in on this ride. The ankle still feels bad from twisting it during an off three weeks ago (motoventures big bike training day), but I can't pass this opportunity up to ride a new place with some great folks. See you all down there!

I don't think we're going to make it, not feeling well. Hope you all have fun!

I might Cruz down and follow y'all. Be on the small bike. Sweep or something old and slow :ph34r:/>/>

John, trophy or anybody else with a radio?

we'll spread out accordingly...

No Radio, Sorry. I do have a cell phone and GPS. I will also have some extra gas just in case

I'm out, did a little pre run with downs today up and over Otay and through Marron Valley to Barrett junction for some fried fish lunch before splitting up. Foot is hurting a bit so I'm going to give it a rest.

Have fun!

Going to have to catch the next one...something or someone should I say came up and have to do the family holiday thing !!