Sign in to follow this  
Oracle

How cold is too cold?

I haven't ridden in two weeks since I've been travelling. I had an opportunity to jump on the 950 this morning so I called up VanJoosten and we set out for another adventure. When we left Ramona, it was in the mid 30's. Our route took us through Ramona, Santa Ysabelle, Julian, Anza Borrego, and back. At the highest altitudes it was in the high 20's. There was fresh snow on some of the peaks.....and I was a tad cold but it was still doable.

So, as far as whether conditions and temperature go, where do you draw the line?

Is the high end apparel like Klim worth the money in adverse whether conditions?

Any advise on staying warm?

Grip heaters work wonders allowing you to wear thinner gloves for better feel.

Also I wear a head sock that comes down over my neck and it makes a big difference.

Klim is awesome but any decent motorcycle jacket for colder temps works great. I use a cheapo Cycle Gear winter Jacket I bought on sale for $85 that is waterproof and warm for easy dirt and street. I went cheap on that one since I don't wear it much.

My mild to hot jacket is Motoport and very expensive but worth every penny.

Is this cold enough (Mesh Motoport)?

Dusy.jpg

Grip heaters work wonders allowing you to wear thinner gloves for better feel.

Also I wear a head sock that comes down over my neck and it makes a big difference.

Klim is awesome but any decent motorcycle jacket for colder temps works great. I use a cheapo Cycle Gear winter Jacket I bought on sale for $85 that is waterproof and warm for easy dirt and street. I went cheap on that one since I don't wear it much.

My mild to hot jacket is Motoport and very expensive but worth every penny.

Is this cold enough (Mesh Motoport)?

Dusy.jpg

+1 on the Motoport gear. Best I've seen. It's an investment I plan on making.

Screw the cold, the dirt was PERFECT today! Well worth the chilly temps...

However this might be too cold:

11244897203_e50904353f_c.jpg

Ask these guys for example...answer its never too cold. The Russians and Finns ice race in deep arctic freeze.

Yeah, the dirt was amazing today. And like I said, the cold, even in the 30's, was doable. But it would have been nice to have warm hands and warms...um, well, never mind. I used hand warmer packs in my gloves, which helped a tad. Next time I'll throw a pack in my drawers too... :heh:/>

Afry mentioned grip heaters....that looks like a decent option as the KTM setup is only $100 and easy to install. They are on my short list. I also spent over and hour researching heated gear...damn, that stuff looks nice but the price adds up fast.

...and it actually gave me an idea about doing wireless heated gloves, but I can't share the details yet until I submit my patent :coolio:/>

BTW, snow is expected above 3000' tomorrow. Who wants to ride???

It was -18 Thursday and this morning, but I'm not riding right now. The cold sucks the life out of you.

Hooked up with a shop a little ways from here. They told me the ice racing is starting in about a week.

Going to have to check it out. <_</>

Not to sure about putting 1/4 in. spikes on the KTM :o/>

Rode some snow last week in eastern sierras. It's not like sand! Steady throttle, and stay on the fluffy stuff; the packed tracks are ice!

When I was a kid in NY I rode year round. There was many times the temp was in the single digits and the powder was up to 2 feet deep. I wore ski gloves, masque, and many layers of winter clothing. None of it was moto specific. All of it combined kept me warm.

I rode a KX250 and a Quadracer. No street riding.

There was a professor at my college in Michigan that commuted 25 miles to the school almost every day. I remember it snowing one day during my drive in and he passed me on the freeway. :lol: