Dan Diego

Motorcyclists chase driver after fender bender

Based on what I saw, I believe the driver was justified in his actions, and any biker that got his ass run over in the process got what he deserved. I think it will be pretty easy for the driver to articulate that he was in fear for himself and his family. He not only has a right, but a duty, to protect his family, especially his 2 year old girl. So, if you ever find yourself in that situation, after you are done shitting yourself, you better do what you have to do to get your family out of there. It's better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6

"any biker that got his ass run over in the process got what he deserved" - Really? That has to be one of the most retarded statements I have ever heard. Only one biker has been charged so far for misdemeanor reckless driving etc., which he should be charged with. But to jump to the conclusion that any biker riding with a group of 50+ should automatically be run over is just simply retarded. The guy this erratic Range Rover ran over is in a coma in critical condition and maybe paralyzed. If the driver of the Rover really wanted to protect his family he simply would have slowed down a few seconds. It's not that hard to do, and it would only have taken a few seconds for the speed demons to . . . well speed . . . past him. Driving over and thru bikers with a big SUV was very dangerous, much more dangerous than bikers slowing down in speed. The real prejudice is against punk bikers like this. Even other riders don't like them. I don't like them either, but hitting them and running them over is not justified. The prosecution should charge the Rover with a crime too and plead his case out to a lesser charge.

Paul - did you not see in the video where the SUV really had no choice but to stop because a bike pulled in front of him? They had every opportunity to "speed off" but didn't, they started beating on his SUV. Watch some of the videos - it's pretty obvious what their mentality is.

I have a different opinion based upon the video. The bikers were reckless at points, but the only harm they really posed was to themselves, which is common for stunt punks like this. That said, they are just punks. Let them wheelie and speed on. Let speed demons pass and call the cops to nail them down the road for speeding and careless and imprudent driving. One bike slowed down a bit and that Range Rover started ran him over and didn't stop! If someone did that to some DSers I would want to react the same way and beat that Range Rover guy's ass. That was my reaction watching the video. That jerk in the Range Rover paralyzed one of those bikers, broke someone's leg, and should be charged too. The minute he hit one of those bikes he should have pulled over and called police instead of running and hitting again. The way he kept going and running them over made him look bad when all he had to do was slow the f down for a few seconds and let the punks pass. The punks just caused the Rover to slow down a few seconds. The Range Rover could have killed someone, and helped caused paralysis and a broken leg. The bikers posed no real threat to the Range Rover before he hit them. He deserved a couple of black eyes IMO.

ShocknAwe

That's a pretty retarded statement! Maybe you didn't watch the same video the rest of us watched. I saw a MOB of hooligans surrounding a vehicle and forcing them to stop. I then saw a group approaching the driver with the apparent intent of forcing him out of the car to beat his ass. Reports indicate the MOB attempted to slash his tires, which means they had knives. Clearly they were not just trying to have a friendly chat with the driver...at least that seems obvious to me, apparently not to you.

This innocent family has a right to protect themselves. The father has a right to protect his 2 year old daughter and to go ape sh!t on any fool that tries to hurt her. And if you are a hooligan, acting like a mob, out to take over the streets, if you surround a car with intent to do the occupants harm, and you are stupid enough to park in front of a 4000 pounds SUV, you shouldn't be surprised at all if you get yourself run over....DUH!

Paul - did you not see in the video where the SUV really had no choice but to stop because a bike pulled in front of him? They had every opportunity to "speed off" but didn't, they started beating on his SUV. Watch some of the videos - it's pretty obvious what their mentality is.

Exactly! Regardless if it was only 2 or 3 out of 50 that actually did anything violent or overtly dangerous and reckless, the presence of the others who are essentially aiding the blocking of the road would make this a very intimidating experience. Its hard to know what was going through the Range driver's head, but I would think that if I were in the same position, even as a dirt/street rider, with my wife and my 5 month old daughter in the car with me, I would have done the same thing. Get out of there, protect my family. We'll have to see what comes of this through the investigation or court if it goes that far. Do I feel bad for the guy that got ran over, yup. Did he deserve it. Probably not. Did he help create the situation. Yup. Could he have avoided it. Yup, he could have not stopped directly in front of the SUV. He could have not been riding with the other A$$Hat riders. Personally I believe that the entire group of riders should charged with menacing and reckless driving. Not a single one of them is completely innocent in this matter. You don't even need the other videos to see that.

The news was saying that these people might of been from San Diego. I all could do was laugh as the wife of one of the injured bikers cried while she described her husbands injuries stating that all they wanted to do was ride their motorcycles. Such bullshite, these hoodlums have gotten away with pushing people around in a mob and they finally got some payback.

Its is messed up that people(like DesertRunner's coworker) would lump all motorcycle riders into this mob.

I have a different opinion based upon the video. The bikers were reckless at points, but the only harm they really posed was to themselves, which is common for stunt punks like this. That said, they are just punks. Let them wheelie and speed on. Let speed demons pass and call the cops to nail them down the road for speeding and careless and imprudent driving. One bike slowed down a bit and that Range Rover started ran him over and didn't stop! If someone did that to some DSers I would want to react the same way and beat that Range Rover guy's ass. That was my reaction watching the video. That jerk in the Range Rover paralyzed one of those bikers, broke someone's leg, and should be charged too. The minute he hit one of those bikes he should have pulled over and called police instead of running and hitting again. The way he kept going and running them over made him look bad when all he had to do was slow the f down for a few seconds and let the punks pass. The punks just caused the Rover to slow down a few seconds. The Range Rover could have killed someone, and helped caused paralysis and a broken leg. The bikers posed no real threat to the Range Rover before he hit them. He deserved a couple of black eyes IMO.

ShocknAwe

That's a pretty retarded statement! Maybe you didn't watch the same video the rest of us watched. I saw a MOB of hooligans surrounding a vehicle and forcing them to stop. I then saw a group approaching the driver with the apparent intent of forcing him out of the car to beat his ass. Reports indicate the MOB attempted to slash his tires, which means they had knives. Clearly they were not just trying to have a friendly chat with the driver...at least that seems obvious to me, apparently not to you.

This innocent family has a right to protect themselves. The father has a right to protect his 2 year old daughter and to go ape sh!t on any fool that tries to hurt her. And if you are a hooligan, acting like a mob, out to take over the streets, if you surround a car with intent to do the occupants harm, and you are stupid enough to park in front of a 4000 pounds SUV, you shouldn't be surprised at all if you get yourself run over....DUH!

I agree with you guys overall. The conversation was just becoming a bit too lopsided so I wanted to come in and mix it up on the forums I haven't been on in a while. Consensus is boring! That's why the debate over the gov't shutdown is so exciting. Ride on!

Trolling is the act of posting a comment or article in an open publishing forum that is intended to provoke and disrupt the discussion of users by producing a large volume of frivolous responses (Bond, 1999). The content of such a post may consist of a foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers or a broad request for trivial follow-up postings (Bond, 1999). The person who participates in trolling is termed a troll.

Forum Rules

20 guys on bicycles force a jogger to a stop on a bike path. Two guys get off their bikes and threaten to kick the joggers ass if he doesn’t leave the bike path. Can the jogger pull a gun and legally shoot 3 other bikers to clear a path for his exit?

From a legal standpoint, the video and video alone presents a very similar fact situation.

I am not taking sides in the incident. The bikers were beyond stupid. Far beyond. Only an idiot would park his bike in front of a car on the freeway. Death sentence stupid? Maybe. I might have done the same thing. I would have probably shot anyone stupid enough to have stopped me on the freeway and start banging on my window. Murder? Manslaughter?

Maybe the jogger could have pulled his gun and pointed it at the aggressors. Maybe the trapped motorist could have rocked his car back and forth. Maybe he could have backed out. Maybe he could have turned his wheel avoiding the bikers. I don’t know. From the video it looks like he went from stopped to full on fleeing.

Reasonable? The vast majority of people seem to feel he is justified.

If there is no push back, will public think it open season on bikers any time they feel threatened?

I have probably pissed a lot of people off and that was not my intention. I will end this with a final comment. The driver appears to have no driving skills what so ever.

bob

20 guys on bicycles force a jogger to a stop on a bike path. Two guys get off their bikes and threaten to kick the joggers ass if he doesn’t leave the bike path. Can the jogger pull a gun and legally shoot 3 other bikers to clear a path for his exit?

From a legal standpoint, the video and video alone presents a very similar fact situation.

I am not taking sides in the incident. The bikers were beyond stupid. Far beyond. Only an idiot would park his bike in front of a car on the freeway. Death sentence stupid? Maybe. I might have done the same thing. I would have probably shot anyone stupid enough to have stopped me on the freeway and start banging on my window. Murder? Manslaughter?

Maybe the jogger could have pulled his gun and pointed it at the aggressors. Maybe the trapped motorist could have rocked his car back and forth. Maybe he could have backed out. Maybe he could have turned his wheel avoiding the bikers. I don’t know. From the video it looks like he went from stopped to full on fleeing.

If there is no push back, will public think it open season on bikers any time they feel threatened?

I have probably pissed a lot of people off and that was not my intention. I will end this with a final comment. The driver appears to have no driving skills what so ever.

bob

I think you forgot to add that the jogger was with his wife and had his 2 year old in a stroller.

bob

Maybe if the cars driver would of said " Pretty Please!" ?

If those joggers stop a hiker, wife, and child on a trail and start beating the hell out of them, he has every right to fire away!

We can just hope the public doesn't paint us with the same brush as those who are bad examples of the motorcycling community. Thanks to the leadership and guiding members, SDAR is a very responsible group and portrays that outwardly.

We can just hope the public doesn't paint us with the same brush as those who are bad examples of the motorcycling community. Thanks to the leadership and guiding members, SDAR is a very responsible group and portrays that outwardly.

this is it in a nutshell... those guys have SO little in common with us, yet many "non-riders" with identify themselves with the SUV family, and US with the riders

I remember a few years back, as a large group of us was passing an SUV on a dirt road up in Big Bear. the SUV swerved at one point, and a rider was essentially pushed off the road.... with the amount of dust, and riders here and there, I chalked it up to inattentiveness on the drivers part, or poor driving abilities; it wasn't until later we heard it did it to another group as well...

even then, it was suggested we take some justice against the rider... we didn't... IF it had been more obvious, I would've noted the plate and called the authorities, not try to corral an SUV with a bunch of bikes... No win situation

I saw another video on msn.com taken from the lane just to the left of the Range Rover. I don't have a link and I don't want to go search for it. It shows the initial incident where the rider cut in front of the Range Rover and slowed down. It looked to me like the guy in the Range Rover intentionally bumped into the bike. Lucky for both of them the guy on the bike didn't crash.

I had something like this happen to me without any of the major problems that happened in New York. I was in the L.A. area on the 23 Freeway going to a wedding reception near Simi Valley when a bunch of kids on sport bikes got in front of me only to slow down to about 40 or 50 MPH for about a minute. I was going 70 maybe 75 when they passed me and they must have been going well over 100. I was directly behind one of the bikes when they slowed down and the thought of bumping into him never even crossed my mind. I just thought to myself "what a retarded way to get your jollies" and figured they'd speed off again and slow down another group of cars further up the freeway. I wasn't even pissed off. I just thought they were a bunch of kids acting stoopid.

Can you imagine bumping into a motorcycle on the freeway? There's a good chance you make him crash and he dies. Intentionally bumping into a motorcycle on the freeway is as bad as shooting a gun in someone's general direction and not caring whether you hit him or not.

Once the guy in the Range Rover stopped and the guys on the bikes threatened him, I don't blame him for stepping on the gas no matter what was in front of him.

BS, the douche on the rice rocket clearly pulls in front of the SUV and brake checks him. They were acting like a mob, trying to scare the guy in the SUV for some reason. They were successful and someone in their group paid the price. Now it's time to pay the piper.

I can't express enough how discussed I am with that group of riders and how little sympathy I have for them. You just don't F!!! with a mans family.

BS, the douche on the rice rocket clearly pulls in front of the SUV and brake checks him. They were acting like a mob, trying to scare the guy in the SUV for some reason. They were successful and someone in their group paid the price. Now it's time to pay the piper.

I can't express enough how discussed I am with that group of riders and how little sympathy I have for them. You just don't F!!! with a mans family.

Even if someone pulls in front of you and slows down just to be a jerk, that doesn't give you the right to bump into him. If you kill someone because you think he's being a jerk, you're going to have problems you don't want.

Even if someone pulls in front of you and slows down just to be a jerk, that doesn't give you the right to bump into him. If you kill someone because you think he's being a jerk, you're going to have problems you don't want.

I agree with that! But when the guy on the bike brakes checks the driver of the SUV, he is only a few feet ahead of him, and under those circumstances, it is the guy on the bike who is breaking the law. Not to mention, he is about as smart as a rock!

So he should of slammed on the brakes and taken the people behind him out? Damned if you do, Damned if you dont

So he should of slammed on the brakes and taken the people behind him out? Damned if you do, Damned if you dont

Well, that's just the way things are.

I had something like that happen to me. I was getting on the 805 at H Street when a guy in a camper who was stopped on the shoulder pulled into traffic in front of me. I managed to slow down enough not to hit him and the guy behind me also managed to slow down enough not to hit me. But some gal in a Camaro 2 cars behind me hit the guy behind me and pushed him into me. I eventually got a letter from the Camaro's insurance offering to pay for any damages to my truck.

Luckily for the insurance company I had no damage to my truck and I didn't claim any injuries. I don't know what happened between the insurance company and the car directly behind me but it had a lot of damage.

I agree with that! But when the guy on the bike brakes checks the driver of the SUV, he is only a few feet ahead of him, and under those circumstances, it is the guy on the bike who is breaking the law. Not to mention, he is about as smart as a rock!

Yeah, the guy on the bike was riding recklessly and I'd say if he keeps that up he's eventually going to get seriously injured or killed.

Without any video, it's always the guy who rear ends someone who's found liable.

I thought the guy in the SUV intentionally nudged the bike. I'd expect he'd never admit that and say he didn't have time to slow down. I can see how someone else could watch the video and say he didn't possibly have time to slow down.

For me, it's best to avoid accidents if at all possible. It's just not worth all the hassle.

Without any video, it's a majority of the time the guy who rear ends someone who's found liable.

I've seen plenty of accident investigations so it isn't always the case. As riders, we tend to look further ahead in traffic than other drivers as we don't want our precious bones broken. I think this translates well into our driving, too.