Afry

2 day Baja lobster run 9/14-15

New member mtnmanseth needs some guidance in Baja and help celebrating his birthday so here we go!

Big bike friendly (with 50/50 tires) run down for lobster and fun.This ride is meant for big bikes with 50/50 tires but all are welcome. The idea is to meet near the border in SD at 10 AM crossing at TJ then run 36 (paved) miles to Puerto Neuvo for lobster, beer and supplies. Then 65 miles paved down the coast and inland to Ojos were we pick up the Compadre Trail (easy dirt) for 55 miles to Rancho Santa Veronica for drinks/dinner/drinks/sleep/breakfast at the motel/spa. Rooms are about $40 per person with safe bike parking since it's in the country. Then in the AM head back to Border (paved - 45min) through Tecate then optional up and down Otay Mtn taking Campo Rd back home.Everyone is invited - I tend to stay on the conservative side (60ish) on the street knowing others have lower bike speed limits. There will be some sand - especially between Ojos and the beginning of Compadre - I have seen Noob's on 1200GSA's handle this trail with ease but you need to be in your comfort level because we are well.... doing this for fun. Should have a passport but some get back home without one. PM me if you want GPS

DSMAPS:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112027

Here is the report for the last lobster run:

http://dualsport-sd....__1#entry154570

Thanks so much for putting the Baja trip together!! I tried to send you a PM about this but it gave an error "User cannot recieve any more messages". Would you mind giving me a call in the next couple days... I have some logistics questions ie. should I trailer bike to border and ride from there? If so, where to safely park my truck for a few days? Or should I plan to ride from Encinitas? Leave Friday home Sunday?

Thanks again

Seth

Thanks so much for putting the Baja trip together!! I tried to send you a PM about this but it gave an error "User cannot recieve any more messages". Would you mind giving me a call in the next couple days... I have some logistics questions ie. should I trailer bike to border and ride from there? If so, where to safely park my truck for a few days? Or should I plan to ride from Encinitas? Leave Friday home Sunday?

Thanks again

Seth

406-531-6096

If you're rocking the DR, ride it to the border and make an sweet loop out of the whole ride. It's way cooler to say you rode to Mexico from your house anyways!

This sounds goooooood. Haven't been south of the border for awhile now. Is a passport mandatory? D license n old military ID ok?. D license n copy of B Certificate? I really should think about this... I might not come back!

The rules say passport but reality is I have been with guys that dont have them and so far no problem, not even sent to secondary. I carry one.

Looks like I am out. The wife is away on the girls-turning-50 weekend to Palm Springs. So, I have my 11-year-old daughter all weekend. I might consider a just lunch run with the kid, but wifey poo may freak out on that one.

"The idea is to meet near the border in SD at 10 AM crossing at TJ then run 36 (paved) miles to Puerto Neuvo for lobster, beer and supplies. Then 65 miles paved down the coast and inland to Ojos were we pick up the Compadre Trail (easy dirt) for 55 miles to Rancho Santa Veronica for drinks/dinner/drinks/sleep/breakfast at the motel/spa." (Heading North to Sta V on Compadre)

Afry and others, FYI

Be aware that on saturday another group will be heading south on and around the compadre road at the same time you guys will be heading North.

We all know to always think that someone is coming the other way, but this is a for sure thing. Thats my safety brief. Have a good ride, enjoy the Baja, eat well and be safe. RN

IN..and Seth, I'm on a DR650 as well in Oceanside just off the 5. If you want I could meet you for the ride down to Tecate. How is your bike geared? Mine is lowered a bit, but I'll still run the interstate down to 94 and then to Tecate. Should be super simple especially with a later departure. So long as your bike is in order, should just need beer/food money and some extra cash just in case, passport, and spare tubes, don't forget the tubes.

IN..and Seth, I'm on a DR650 as well in Oceanside just off the 5. If you want I could meet you for the ride down to Tecate. How is your bike geared? Mine is lowered a bit, but I'll still run the interstate down to 94 and then to Tecate. Should be super simple especially with a later departure. So long as your bike is in order, should just need beer/food money and some extra cash just in case, passport, and spare tubes, don't forget the tubes.

Good deal Kris the plan is to cross in TJ - meet at the gas station directly in front of you when you exit HWY 5 at Coronado St southbound.

"The idea is to meet near the border in SD at 10 AM crossing at TJ then run 36 (paved) miles to Puerto Neuvo for lobster, beer and supplies. Then 65 miles paved down the coast and inland to Ojos were we pick up the Compadre Trail (easy dirt) for 55 miles to Rancho Santa Veronica for drinks/dinner/drinks/sleep/breakfast at the motel/spa." (Heading North to Sta V on Compadre)

Afry and others, FYI

Be aware that on saturday another group will be heading south on and around the compadre road at the same time you guys will be heading North.

We all know to always think that someone is coming the other way, but this is a for sure thing. Thats my safety brief. Have a good ride, enjoy the Baja, eat well and be safe. RN

Thanks! We might be heading to Mike's instead but it's up in the air right now.

We are meeting @ 1102 Hollister St at 10AM. It is the gas station on the corner of Coronado Ave and Hollister St. If you are southbound on Hwy 5 exit Coronado Ave and it's straight ahead. Looks like 5-6 riders that I know of.

R u spending the night at Mike's Skyranch or Rancho Santa Veronica?

R u spending the night at Mike's Skyranch or Rancho Santa Veronica?

current plan is back to Rancho Santa Veronica. I gotta be back in SD early Sunday so one way or another that's where I'm staying and I believe Afry's got a room reserved at this point...

Jealous! Got a clutch issue I have to get fixed, otherwise I'd have joined you. Perhaps I'll put together another on in a month.

Good to see you guys at the Saw Mill, did you make it back safe? How was the trail on the big bikes?

Good to see you guys at the Saw Mill, did you make it back safe? How was the trail on the big bikes?

Glad to see you made it back too, such a coincidence running into you. Everyone made it back safely, but there may have been some minor bike damage.

hKE7lnv.jpg

I think there were some differing opinions of the trail. It was certainly not impassable on big bikes as the two older guys kept harping on about. There was one really solid section of very deep sand on Compadre a few miles short of RSV, but other than that, just slightly more challenging than normally. If a RR doesn't show up by tomorrow, I'll start one.