One day you're thinking to yourself, "Maybe I'll do the Continental Divide." The next minute it's the eve of departure and you're trying to jam a half eaten bag of tortilla chips into your already stuffed pannier because you don't want them to go to waste. Where did the days go? And why exactly did I open this giant bag of tortilla chips yesterday?

First stop for tomorrow will be McConnell State Park, where it's slated to be 104 (that and Death Valley must be the epicenters for global warming). The gentle side of me is not the least bit happy about riding into hell, but the adventurer side of me is telling the gentle side of me to STFU. I guess we'll see which of the personalities prevails around midday tomorrow, although I suspect Wayne will be slapping me outside of a Flying J truck stop in Bakersfield telling me to pull it together.

As with the TAT, Simon will be in tow. We recently did a test camping trip and I took some video of him enjoying the ride:

We'll have to stop often to make sure he's hydrated and not acting listless. Fortunately, he's a bit of a heat freak. During the recent heatwave he'd go out and sit in the sun (!). He must be part reptilian.

We're going to meet a friend who has a Ural at the Canadian border. He's bringing his dog Lola.

lolaInSidecar.jpg

Why bring dogs? Here's why: The plan is to tie Simon to a tree in Grizzly country. When the bear approaches the delightful vanilla-looking snack, Lola will pop out from behind some bushes and take down the Grizzly. We'll do this a few times until the bears use their preferred social media mechanism to spread the word not to mess with the seven-wheeled quintet.

So that's it for now. I'll add to this thread from the road when I can...

bikesReady.jpg

This should be fun!

Usually the best ride reports of the year, I can't wait.

+1

+1

We haven't stepped out the door and already plans have changed. I decided that going up the length of I-5 at temps up to 110 sounded like a terrible way to start a month-long trip. Wayne wouldn't be slapping me at a Flying J in Bakersfield -- he'd be trying to wedge my heatstroked body into the ice cream cooler. Imagine how angry people will be when they see my dirty boots smashing all the Klondike bars. Fortunately, Wayne is agreeable to the change in plan even though the mileage is increased.

Soooo...we're going up the 101 where it's 30 degrees cooler. We'll make our way up to my mom's house in Petaluma. At least we won't have to camp with the drunk bottle-rocket crowd along the Merced River. It'll be sweet to get a night of quiet rest before the next day's long haul.

Always. Nobody combines great info and humor like the Z.

Have fun!

As before i will be glued to the site for the latest zenna updates. I am envious as I wish I was going. HOpe you guys have a safe fun trip.

600 miles later, we're in Petaluma, home of the Ugly Dog Contest. The first hour on the DRZ was ok; the remaining 11 felt like I was riding an ironing board. Wayne got his seat redone by Seat Concepts so he seemed to have a decently comfortable ride.

The weather was mostly agreeable. We had a stretch around Atascadero that hit 107 (Wayne carries a digital thermometer) but it lasted less than an hour. Man, did it feel unpleasant. Had we been on the 5 or 99, it would've been many hours of that mind-bending furnace. I'm pretty sure we'll have to deal with that heat from New Mexico to home, but maybe it won't be so bad since we'll be buoyed by the proximity of home and its many comforts.

You know Area 51? That's a johnny-come-lately. We found the real deal.

day01_area1.jpg

This is the problem with small dogs. They can walk underneath bikes. That's a sprocket pattern on his back. By the end of the day he also acquired chain smears.

day01_greasySimon.jpg

A fog-free Golden Gate bridge.

day01_ggate.jpg

Howdy all, we are somewhere in the middle of Montana. We have had no opportunity to post. First chance I get to upload some pics I will. Would love a shower! All going well.

"Would Love a Shower"

I know the feeling, settle for the head rinse under a faucet.

How about I post one for the time being.Am I close ?

187-L.jpg

We're currently in Rawlins WY. We got out of the Great Basin just in time, as a massive thunderstorm blew through about a half hour after we got into Rawlins (the winds were bad enough to blow Wayne's parked biked over). We are now in a Super 8 for the night.

We've had three flat tires, a broken exhaust bracket and a final drive fill/dipstick that got spit out by the Ural because it hates washboard roads. Wayne got bear pepper spray on his face and had to put his head in a lake for a spell. I know other stuff happened but I can't remember at the moment (taking notes, though). Scenery is awesome. If it didn't snow, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming would be waaay more populated. But alas, snow is for polar bears and a small collection of hearty humans.

Dogs are doing well. They are always trashed at the end of the day and are the first ones asleep.

Here's a pic from Lima, MT. Alex just had the exhaust bracket welded back on by a guy who had never seen a Ural up close so he did it for free.

post-1009-001833700 1373766000_thumb.jpg

You noted "New Mexico" going home. My temperature advice is stay in the northern half of the state. Just about anything south of Albuquerque is going to be HELL HOT. Plus, the scenery IMO is much more diverse. Especially if you plan on riding any part of the 10 and 8. You think it was hot on the first part of your leg, wait until you hit southern NM, AZ and CA. It's like a big fan is slowly and constantly blowing heat out of a furnace right in front of you and that's in the shade.

You're probably aware of the above info, but just sharing from someone who has lived and played in those areas.

Otherwise, I'm jealous like others in this thread of your trek. I used to live in Wyoming, Montana, and Alaska, and have spent some time traveling (car and backpack) in Canada. I thought I saw Canada in a post of yours, but not sure about AK. Either way, all 4 of those places can be very similar in weather going from one extreme to the other of high heat to snowy wonder. You're bound to have a memory filled experience, just because you're on a bike, but also because you're traveling in some great magical lands.

Stop and smell the roses every chance you get and a few more. I'll be lurking. Cheers

P.S. Good job checking your bear spray before encountering a bear. Now you know the bottle discharges and the product is unpleasant. :torch:/>/>

Looking forward to reading your posts. Seriously, if you do not write for a living you should. Curious, is Lola tied into the sidecar? I'm thinking about getting a Ural in the future so I can take trips with the dog. I'd like to request lots of pictures of scenery and dogs on motorcycles. :D

Another rain day, another motel stay. Mud riding blows. At least the mud wasn't the slick-as-snot stuff near the Trumbull Schoolhouse on the way to Bar 10.

post-1009-041066800 1373934469_thumb.jpg

The Big Empty lives up to its nickname.

post-1009-009687100 1373934428_thumb.jpg

Just in case you think I'm posting from Escondido.

post-1009-032692900 1373934460_thumb.jpg

The classic Colorado road lined with aspen.

post-1009-010818800 1373934443_thumb.jpg

Zina,

Were the Pronghorn busy on you route east of Atlantic City?

Dave

post-1009-033061700 1374188816_thumb.jpg

We are at Pie Town, NM. It's surprisingly chilly here at the moment. We should be done in two days.

Looking for a place to stay for the night.

We made it!

post-1009-039304900 1374380192_thumb.jpg

We were extremely lucky that the temps have been below normal for this time of the year. We got rained on, but the showers were brief. We'll try to get back to San Diego tomorrow. It'll be a long ride but we're anxious to get home. Alex, Wayne and I probably shot around 2000 photos (yeah, snap-happy people, we are) so there will be a lot of pics to go through.

BTW Dave, very few pronghorns along our route. Saw much more on the TAT. We did see a baby grizzly in passing in the Grand Tetons. I had my Sony cam running but the grizzly looks like nothing more than a brown blob.

Time to roll these luxo-barges on home...

post-1009-053976800 1374382009_thumb.jpg