bikeslut

axel bought another bike

I did a little research on-line and visited ktmtalk etc, but wanted to get the low-down from people I know and trust

Don't turn this in to a brand discussion, he already has the bike

What say you?

I did a little research on-line and visited ktmtalk etc, but wanted to get the low-down from people I know and trust

Don't turn this in to a brand discussion, he already has the bike

What say you?

The 2003 525 MXC is the best bike ever brought to the world by nonspecifichigherpower.

Except for the 2011 990 ADV.

Ok- that being said (consider the source)

What next? No plate; AZ bike...regear for singletrack? any transmission/engine issues? I know yours isn't stock; what did you change and why?

What was the question?

Well, first off, the two people I was specifically soliciting opinions from were you and Paul, and you've both seen the post

Axel is late 40s, ridden most of his life but recently just started stepping it up to some mild black diamonds

He's a BIG boy, weight-wise, but has really improved his riding as of late. Done some Lark singletrack, trail 8 @ Corral, etc. Currently riding a re-geared DRZ with normal mods. He's German so I think the BMWS and KTMS particularly attract him...teutonic twat that he is.

We rode pine valley last night to 4 corners and back, felt the DRZ suspension and motor let him down a little. I think the additional motor and better springers will help, but he still needs seat time

#1-Needs to do (full suspension service is a good idea) spring rates for his weight and proper PDS set up.

RFS motors are mostly bullet proof but this one has some years on it, needs a good going over to be sure it's as fail proof as possible. Bike can be set up plush like a sofa and still rip through trail trash. Best of luck/fun/enjoyment.

I repeat--- suspension set up, set up, set up. 1st priority.

#1-Needs to do (full suspension service is a good idea) spring rates for his weight and proper PDS set up.

RFS motors are mostly bullet proof but this one has some years on it, needs a good going over to be sure it's as fail proof as possible. Bike can be set up plush like a sofa and still rip through trail trash. Best of luck/fun/enjoyment.

I repeat--- suspension set up, set up, set up. 1st priority.

He has George and Tom on speed-dial

i was on the cell phone and didn't see the 2003 525 part.

good bike. they fixed the only issue that those engines had that year. the auto decompressors used to be screwed on in 2002 and would come out and make a mess. in 2003 they permanently attached it so no more grenades.

+1 on roberts post. suspension and 13/50 gearing is about all it needs. maybe a radiator fan and 60/40 coolant/water to keep it from boiling in the slow stuff. that is a lot of bike for really tight trails. may even need a 12 tooth since its the "MXC" version with the taller 1st gear.

Suspension will make anything better,even a red bike ( was that a flame ).

Suspension, suspension, suspension........

He will love the motor, it's a real honey with good low end tractor power. MXC is a close ratio 6 speed trans, gear it low and it will crawl most anything. Has a lighting coil so if he ever wants to ride at night he can wire it up.

Should be a good machine, RFS engines are pretty solid. A few minor issues were updated and improved in 2003 so keep up on maintenance and it will be a winner.

Black plasic hides the shame of the orange.

Suspension will make anything better,even a red bike ( was that a flame ).

Suspension, suspension, suspension........

Yes it was...you just opened a can of troll-bait

Agreed with the above about suspension and lower gearing.

I'd add a Rekluse.

I got a 05 450 MXC ( now a 525 ) lowered -Rekluse-825 hrs.on it and every time I ride it it brings a smile to my face.

I want a new 500 but why ?

Love my bike .

I just had George do my 525 front and rear with spring changes but unfortunately I haven't ridden it yet. He did 2 other 525's just before mine so knows them well - I think he said the forks were crap that year and was the last year they used them but he can fix em. They seemed to have a bind at midstroke which is now gone based on bench testing only.

Ken and Paul- re: the rekluse...

Is this for ease of operation, laziness, or to ease the stress on the transmission?

Ken and Paul- re: the rekluse...

Is this for ease of operation, laziness, or to ease the stress on the transmission?

It makes up for the deficiency,laziness,and lack of skills of the out of shape rider. I don,t know about the tranny--mine never had any problems. And get this I am still on my stock clutch plates. I measured them and each one was wore only .oo1 . ( that was last year )

That clutch has saved my ass countless times.I got the first generation one used and have had it in for 6 years. :wub:

It did eliminate engine braking for the most part on my WR450. I'll tell you; for negotiating gnarly trails, it was pretty awesome, but I got rid of it.

Compression braking was one thing, bump starting another, and I actually use the clutch a lot to adjust within the turn. Better riders might be able to do that with a rekluse, but I couldnt

All the enduro-cross guys are running them, so I'm sure they have their place

I don't think I could live without engine braking. My 625 is geared way higher than the 350, and having that extra control on the downhill's with the 350 has done wonders for improving my confidence.

I liked the Rekluse on my WR400, I installed it mainly due to E-start jealousy. I had it adjusted so I had some engine braking but it wasn't quite the same as the stock clutch. Never had any issues with it, and it made difficult trails easy. Shouldn't have gotten rid of that bike.

Finally got to my desktop computer to answer this. Still having issues with iPad and this forum...

No, one does not lose compression braking with a Rekluse- I don't even notice a difference at all, except for very, very low speed. Like so slow one would have to pull in a manual clutch anyway. Speaking of manual clutch, on most Rekluse one can maintain the manual override, and I use it often.

On the RFS bikes, one does lose the bump-start ability and one must use the brake on a hill to keep the bike from rolling away if the motor is off. On the LC8 version, the clutch can easily be returned to fully manual operation (bump-start, etc) by an allen wrench adjustment to the clutch slave cylinder. I'll have one for my big bike as soon as income warrants.

It's not for lazyiness.

It's to leverage the existing high skill level of an advanced rider and to enhance the riding experience of the average to beginning rider, offering more positive outcomes to otherwise challenging terrain.

super IMHO- putting an auto clutch on this bike simply is not worth the $$$ to install one on a 10 year old bike.

(plus for the most part I'm not a big fan, except for the no stall factor)

George is great local suspension source and that will be the biggest factor, then flavor the orange juice with the other low $ but cost effective bits mentioned (gearing as desired for what works best for what its used for). 525 is a tractor.

Yeah- I only managed to stall the WR once, riding straight up a cliff- that is why I said I liked it for gnarly trails- pasta and I were exploring one time, and got in the weeds- it worked like a champ for that

As Paul will tell you; the rekluse on the WR was not adjusted right

Who is George?

my favorite local suspension guy... well; actually my ONLY suspension guy

"suspenders" on this forum... lives 2 miles from my house, and has done the suspension on a few of my bikes, and a lot of other members

he also did some other light mechanical work on my bikes, because he's just awesome like that