Henry Hester

Testing the waters

Just finished a little email exchange with Cameron. Good guy! Thank you!

I’m seriously thinking about getting into Dual Sport bikes. I’m 55 and currently ride in a 6 man group on a ZX10-R. I ride on the street and track (Streets, BigW and Pahrump). We been riding Palomar, Banner and Monte but after a good friend died in February due to a squid missing a 70+ turn and hitting him head on, we’ve all but gone in different directions. Some to the track, some to touring with www.Pashnit.com and some have really slowed down if not quit.

Back in the day, I rode in AMA desert and AMA flat track at South Bay and Elsinore TT. In fact, I raced in the Elsinore GP. I know Sal and all the San Diego guys, Hosaka, Mule, etc. About four years ago I got back into it and built a trick Kawasaki Triple flat tracker. Rode it only 500 miles with my liter sportbike buddies and determined it was time to sell and get something new. Bought a 04’ MV Augusta Brutale, rode that and then went for more power in the ZX10. I’m 260lbs fully kitted.

I’ve done a few pashnit tours in NorCal and love the group thing. I’d just rather do it in the dirt. When we were filling up at the Borrego gas station about 8 dual sport guys came riding in and I wanted so bad to take off with them. Minutes later, I was doing CPR on my friend on Montezuma.

Enough of that. I would need everything, bike, gear (I have a $1,400 NJK leather race suit – bummer!), panniers if that’s done here in San Diego, necessary bike mods, all of it.

My cell is 858 414-2289. I love to meet with you or somebody from the club who can guide me through this process without making any gear mistakes. Trust me, I’m experienced enough and know enough to ask.

post-2248-1190061241_thumb.jpg

Welcome Henry. I am more of a dirt rider than dual sport rider. I don't care to ride pavement, or dirt roads, except as a way to get to the rough stuff. I wouldn't know the first thing about panniers. I wear a Camelback hydropack and have a couple of bags mounted on my bike for tools, spares, tubes, ect. I wear motocross style boots, pants, gloves, jersey, goggles and helmet. Knee guards, underware with paded hips, thighs, and tailbone. Full upper body armor (Rockgardn) under my jersey and over a underarmor shirt.

Your gear setup and bike choice will depend on how much road riding you will want to do. I would go out a little early to some of the rides and see what everyone is wearing and riding. Ask your questions and take some notes. It may be a few weeks waiting for some semi-local rides with the fire danger/road closures we are having.

I live in Vista, you are welcome to check out my gear anytime (just PM me). :D Ken

There is a bike for sale here.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=1598&hl=

Welcome Henry. I am more of a dirt rider than dual sport rider. I don't care to ride pavement, or dirt roads, except as a way to get to the rough stuff. I wouldn't know the first thing about panniers. I wear a Camelback hydropack and have a couple of bags mounted on my bike for tools, spares, tubes, ect. I wear motocross style boots, pants, gloves, jersey, goggles and helmet. Knee guards, underware with paded hips, thighs, and tailbone. Full upper body armor (Rockgardn) under my jersey and over a underarmor shirt.

Your gear setup and bike choice will depend on how much road riding you will want to do. I would go out a little early to some of the rides and see what everyone is wearing and riding. Ask your questions and take some notes. It may be a few weeks waiting for some semi-local rides with the fire danger/road closures we are having.

I live in Vista, you are welcome to check out my gear anytime (just PM me). :D Ken

There is a bike for sale here.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=1598&hl=

Thanks Ken, Just got off the phone with Schwinn. You guys are nothing but excellent help. He said he and a friend (fireman on a BMW w/wife on sportbike) were there at the scene of Maurice's fatal crash. Of course I remember the valant fireman as we worked together, him breathing and me and others doing cardio. 43 yr old Maurice, pictured below...

post-2248-1190064955_thumb.jpg

For all of you that dont know or dont remember, our 4th annual dessert dash had a detour off of montezuma grade due to a sport bike accident. That was Henry Hestons best friend pictured (maurice) we spoke for a while on the phone and I told him the Fire fighter was Spyder and his wife.He had nothing but great things to say about everything they had done up there to help his friend. Its a small world we all live in, our sport and love of motorcycles is dangerous but with a little luck and riding ability we pray each day for another day to ride.

Hey Henry! Scott Barber here. Small world! :D

I'd heartily encourage you to make the switch! You may have noticed I haven't been around the Ducati site or meetings. I sold the SS and bought a XR650L and a used BMW R1100R.

I am having sooo much fun riding the XR and try to get out to the dirt at least every other weekend. I've done what you're looking at doing, going from having no bike and zero dirt related gear to being fat, dumb and happy on the bike now. I've made a few gear mistakes (and will be selling some of them!!) but now have what I think is a great set up. I'm happy to share my thoughts, etc. on stuff.

You have my number so feel free to give me a call any time. Once you get a dual sport we'll hit the trails and have some fun and then hoist a cold one in Mauricio's honor!

Sorry to hear about your friend. I can understand your desire to stop street riding because of the accident. I did the same with desert riding in 91. After seeing several crashes and one fatal crash I gave up off-roading and started boating. Just started riding again 3 years ago - I even bought quads for my kids. On our first trip out We came upon a buggy vs 16-year-old kid accident - He was still alive but my Sheriff Buddy said that the kid was not going to make it. Kinda put a damper on the trip and my kids dont get to go to the desert very often.

You may find yourself riding down many of the same roads on dual-sport rides that you would on the Street bike. In addition to the street dangers, some of the narrow dirt trails and washes have blind corners and are very dangerous. I welcome you to try dual-sporting but I would not rush to sell the street gear. Our sport is not without danger either - even if you just ride in the dirt. If you are into motorcycling then you are into it. I think that a person could find a safer hobby.

Hey Henry! Scott Barber here. Small world! :D

I'd heartily encourage you to make the switch! You may have noticed I haven't been around the Ducati site or meetings. I sold the SS and bought a XR650L and a used BMW R1100R.

Scott, I was wondering where you were. Yep, I'll make the Dual Sport switch as soon as I get over how much I'll loose selling my overly accessorized ZX10. It's hard to keep the fact quiet that Scott is doing excellent Pro bono legal work on Maurice's case and the eventual trust fund for his two daughters.

I think I like this forum!

I welcome you to try dual-sporting but I would not rush to sell the street gear. Our sport is not without danger either - even if you just ride in the dirt. If you are into motorcycling then you are into it. I think that a person could find a safer hobby.

It's not as much the danger in street riding. I know you can clean your clock everywhere on a bike. I'm just looking for a change and a few more addicts than the three or four we've been hanging with.

There are some great comparrison data sheets on these bikes. I'm headed for a Motorcyclist shootout and will soon form a plan of attack.

Scott, I was wondering where you were. Yep, I'll make the Dual Sport switch as soon as I get over how much I'll loose selling my overly accessorized ZX10. It's hard to keep the fact quiet that Scott is doing excellent Pro bono legal work on Maurice's case and the eventual trust fund for his two daughters.

I think I like this forum!

If you're going to limit yourself to one bike make sure you consider how you're going to ride it. There's a big difference between a street-legal motocross bike, a dual-sport and an adventure tourer.

I did a ton of research before getting my XR (and continue to "research" all the time :D ) so I have a pretty good idea what's out there these days. I wish I could have two dirt bikes, a street-legal motocross and the XR, but Mrs. Yeti feels that 2 bikes are enough and I need the street bike for work.

Welcome Henry Hester :D Sorry about your friend, I do remeber the day (thanks for making the connection Schwinn).

You can't go wrong with this group, great times to be had by all! The bike that tntmoto posted is really nice and a great deal if you're into KTM (they are orange after all). I rode with Grant a while ago and I own the same model, but mine is a year newer with 4x the miles :D Great platform for some road comfort while maintaining the feel of a dirt bike.

Good luck with your decisions, hope to ride with you soon.

Hi Henry, welcome to SDAR. Sorry to hear about your friend, I remember hearing about that during the Desert Dash.

I'm willing to bet that most of us here have been in a similar situation, a friend gets hurt and causes you to re-think your choice of hobbies. A buddy of mine had a slow speed crash off road and he ended up paralyzed from the chest down. I guess you just have to try to manage the risks the best you can, hope for a little luck and just have fun. You never know when it's going to be your turn.

Anyway, find a bike and get out and ride. This is a great group and riding a dual sport opens up a whole new world of riding to you. See you on the trail.

Hi Henry, welcome to SDAR. Sorry to hear about your friend, I remember hearing about that during the Desert Dash.

I'm willing to bet that most of us here have been in a similar situation, a friend gets hurt and causes you to re-think your choice of hobbies. A buddy of mine had a slow speed crash off road and he ended up paralyzed from the chest down. I guess you just have to try to manage the risks the best you can, hope for a little luck and just have fun. You never know when it's going to be your turn.

Anyway, find a bike and get out and ride. This is a great group and riding a dual sport opens up a whole new world of riding to you. See you on the trail.

tnt, thanks! BTW, that KTM is close to what I'm thinking about. A solid moto machine, street legal with some good electronics GPS etc. Maybe we'll get you that case o' beer.

I hate selling stuff nowadays. I've got this F150 as a second car (truck). Put it up on craig's for $5K and guys are calling and asking me if I'll take $4k without any other discourse on the truck. Just a money game. What ever happened to the art of salesmanship and a fair $200 discount!

post-2248-1190079973_thumb.jpg

Hi Henery,

I'm sorry for your loss.

If you want to start test riding let me know you can get on my DR 650 for a spin. Im sure others will jump in as well. Im not pushing this bike over any others they all are good.

I hate selling stuff nowadays. I've got this F150 as a second car (truck). Put it up on craig's for $5K and guys are calling and asking me if I'll take $4k without any other discourse on the truck. Just a money game. What ever happened to the art of salesmanship and a fair $200 discount!

Henry, you may want to think again about getting rid o' the truck. I wish I had kept mine to transport the bike to some of the further away riding places I'll be showing you in the near future. Trailers blow as you're supposed to not exceed 55 mph. I miss my truck. :scratch_one-s_head: Having a truck to haul the bike(s) in is really nice!

Henry, you may want to think again about getting rid o' the truck. I wish I had kept mine to transport the bike to some of the further away riding places I'll be showing you in the near future. Trailers blow as you're supposed to not exceed 55 mph. I miss my truck. <_< Having a truck to haul the bike(s) in is really nice!

If you have a car or SUV, you can always get a hitch and hauler for it :scratch_one-s_head:

Henry, you may want to think again about getting rid o' the truck. I wish I had kept mine to transport the bike to some of the further away riding places I'll be showing you in the near future. Trailers blow as you're supposed to not exceed 55 mph. I miss my truck. <_< Having a truck to haul the bike(s) in is really nice!

If you have a car or SUV, you can always get a hitch and hauler for it :scratch_one-s_head:

Yep, I bought a E150 Van. Now, I'm restricted on bike selections - windscreens getting into the back doors. It's all good, I'll sell the truck but I'm upside down about $600 right now.

I would say keep A truck, too... they come in handy

as far as the dual sport... my DRZ (or TW200; HA) is available for a test ride, too... light mods, and a good bike if you can stay off the freeway.

I’m 55 and currently ride in a 6 man group on a ZX10-R.

Welcome Henry!

Sorry, I just keep trying to picture a 6 man group on a ZX10-R... :scratch_one-s_head:

nct1.jpg

I’m 55 and currently ride in a 6 man group on a ZX10-R.

Welcome Henry!

Sorry, I just keep trying to picture a 6 man group on a ZX10-R... :scratch_one-s_head:

nct1.jpg

Ha! You've got the suit colors correct but we use a modified Austrian circus technique for local performances... We do schools, churches and other non-profit orgs.

post-2248-1190152443_thumb.jpg

Henry, come out to Ocotillo on Saturday and take a test ride or 3. I will let you ride whatever I show up with, probably the DRZ. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

Henry, come out to Ocotillo on Saturday and take a test ride or 3. I will let you ride whatever I show up with, probably the DRZ. :scratch_one-s_head: Ken

Thanks Ken, Uuhhhh, Ok I'll go! Will there be others there as well, like a guy with a KTM 950 , 650 and a few Hondas and maybe a DLR or two and possibly the Honda Pig? Didn't think so...

I keep missing out on my weekend domestic duties which include selling the F150 and now listing the ZX10 rocket. Yes, I'd like to buzz out there. Haven't been in that area since my dad and I ran in the AMA desert races. I on a almost stock Yamaha DT1 250cc and he had a badass half flywheel Suzuki 400 and later a Husky 380-90 something 8-speed.

Photo from back in the day...

post-2248-1190159661_thumb.jpg

Henry, come out to Ocotillo on Saturday and take a test ride or 3. I will let you ride whatever I show up with, probably the DRZ. :unsure: Ken

Ken,

Why DRZ? :scratch_one-s_head: Is the orange machine OK?

papa.

Welcome On Henry!

Hope to meet you under different circumstances next time. Very sorry about your dear Friend. We did what we could....

Beyound that; glad to see you are still working the throttle. And if you need anything, let me know.

Please post about the sand ride last weekend and how you faired on test rides with SDAR guys.....

See you out there,

Spyder

Welcome Henry! :cray:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Motorcycles have always been my passion, and every time I encounter a rider down on the street, roads, or any area, it kind of makes you wonder... The worst part is when it's not even the rider's fault (which is the case most of the time), but bad drivers doing stupid things. In any case, life is about doing what you enjoy (activity), and riding is fun. :cray: I try to be responsible, have my protective gear, and hope for the best. :cray:

You are welcome to try my G650X or my TE450 any time. Choice of a a dual-sport is hard, because it's always a compromise. My TE450 is like a pure dirt bike with plates. It's a lot of fun, but is uncomfortablel on pavement (vibrates a lot, uncomfortable seat). It's light, so it's great on hard stuff. My BMW G650X is heavier, smoother on the pavement, and better for the longer rides. The seat is better but still not too comfortable. I would also like to have a third bigger bike for the long long tours, like the KTM990 or BMW R1200GS etc.. (but I can't afford it right now).

Having a pick up or SUV with a bike carrier is always good, because you can transport a bike to far away places when you don't want to ride it all the way (to me the pavement part is boring). I have a jeep liberty 4x4 and a joe hauler style bike carrier on the back.