Goofy Footer

BBTR Big Bear Trail Riders' Run 2013

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Is anybody going to this event?

They have easy/hard and adventure bike options. Completing the hard loop earns you a plaque. This might be a fun opportunity for bigger bikes to ride up and cruise the trails for a day or two. Dinner and a T-shirt are included!

Does anybody have info on the routes? How difficult is the hard loop, how fun is the easy loop? Does the club work with the forest service and/or local property owners to open trails for this ride which are typically locked or closed to the public? Is the dinner tasty haha?

Information

Event Flyer and Entry Form

BBTRSmallLogo.jpg

I rode 90 miles each way, plus 150 for the ride last year for the Saturday portion. It had a big turnout, and I lucked out in joining Strega, Curtis, and a few other SD peeps. We did a modified easy loop and actually started in reverse to avoid the crowded trails. I had a blast, but obviously we didn't ride all of the "official" trails. I think the hard loop was close to 250-270 miles and by the looks of people returning it sounded very HARD! I'm sure it's fun though, I just don't have an appropriate bike and riding skill for that yet. Dinner from what I remember was decent, but nothing great. They also had the typical raffle prizes and swag to give out. I had to leave early though to get back to Ft. Irwin for work and missed out on all that.

I wish I could do it again this year, but I'll be out of town dodging bullets in Chicago.

If you can get a group to ride with, absolutely do it, at least once. These events typically cost an arm and a leg, but they are a great way to see some new trails and enjoy the camaraderie of 100-200 other bikers. Contact Crawdaddy and Strega to see about volunteering. I know they help out a lot loading GPS's at these type of events and could be a good way to help out and maybe even save on registration fees.

I've done this ride before. It's an awesome event. I like their moonless midnight madness 100 mile ride better but they're both great rides . I've ridden from home and back for both rides. I'm off that weekend For the dual sport ride and am considering . It's not quite my speed but its fun. The midnight ride was an all out speed assault At night and is one of my greatest ride memories.

I go up a slightly different route than GF but hit Gillman Springs and Beaumont on the way up from idyllwild. 500-600 miles is for the dual sport and 400+ for the midnight ride from Diego. With a couple of bikes going off the trail. The last midnight ride took me over 21 hours. Took us two hours to pull a KLR up an enbankment. For every two feet we pulled we slide back almost two feet. But a group stopped and about 12 of us got it back up. Bypassed the radiator which got a hole in it and he finished the ride. Think I might have some pics somewhere.

Anyways these can be epic rides they open up some horse trails that normally aren't open to bikes. Or at least they did years ago. I highly recommend these rides. Much more fun for me than any Baja ride Ive ever been on.

I don't recall anything being difficult on these routes but they may have found something. For the midnight ride I highly recommend good lighting. It makes all the difference.

If it works out I hope to see some of yous up there. I'm game for riding up and back from Diego and I have all my camping gear In order. Just needed to Check the valves, add the raising link, get some rear luggage racks and some real tires and ill be good to go.

Anybody interested in "pre-running" (read practice) this weekend (June 7 or 8)? I have the 2012 tracks, didn't get to finish the whole ride so would like to attempt some of the technical areas before the BBTR ride. Email or call me if you're interested. raymondccole@yahoo.com or phone 212-365-8139

Anybody interested in "pre-running" (read practice) this weekend (June 7 or 8)? I have the 2012 tracks, didn't get to finish the whole ride so would like to attempt some of the technical areas before the BBTR ride. Email or call me if you're interested. raymondccole@yahoo.com or phone 212-365-8139

Yes

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Is anybody going to this event?

They have easy/hard and adventure bike options. Completing the hard loop earns you a plaque. This might be a fun opportunity for bigger bikes to ride up and cruise the trails for a day or two. Dinner and a T-shirt are included!

Does anybody have info on the routes? How difficult is the hard loop, how fun is the easy loop? Does the club work with the forest service and/or local property owners to open trails for this ride which are typically locked or closed to the public? Is the dinner tasty haha?

Information

Event Flyer and Entry Form

BBTRSmallLogo.jpg

I'll be working the GPS download Table and riding middle HW Sweep.....

Lot's of rocky two track, some nasty/dusty climbs......if you're chasing a plaque plan on 10-12 hours (lunch is a Snickers bar while you fill up your gas tank)......it's not THAT hard..... steady pace.......keep moving......hope you don't have a mechanical breakdown.....ride with one or two others not a big group.....save the picture taking for Sunday......

If you're NOT chasing a plaque.....smile and relax......start early.......ride one or two hardways to get feel for the terrain......maybe chase the prize next year?

The Sunday loop is a scenic tour of the area.....

If you're NOT chasing a plaque.....smile and relax......start early.......ride one or two hardways to get feel for the terrain......maybe chase the prize next year?

The Sunday loop is a scenic tour of the area.....

I like that option, and thats enough time to breakin my motor on local trails before the event. Goofy would you ride up/down like you did last week or truck it?

I live in Big Bear and have rode all the hard ways to earn a nice plaque last two years. Hard ways are just that...220 miles two years ago, 180 last year, I recall about 10-12 hours average of seat time. They do NOT open horse trails for this event, that was years ago. The challenge is the typical tough stuff of the area, John Bull, Gold Mountain (both ways), Silverwood or desert loop (hot temps), White Mtn, Redondo/Malcomb, and of course the length of the ride. Only GPS tracks are issued this year, no rollies. I've been prerunning a few areas and the terrain is in great shape but only getting drier and dustier! Unfortunately, my sister decided that weekend was prime for her wedding date!! So I'll be running the route on a weekday in July or something, that doesn't really make up for missing this amazing event! I hear they may even have a massage therapist booth at the finish line....

Having never swung my leg over a big/adv bike, I can't really say much other than "use your best judgement" in regards to signing up for the hard ways on a 650 or up. (although an xr650 could do it, KLR...maybe if you're a moto masochist. :wacko:

NOTE: There is an adventure bike loop this year :D

Good stuf. Thanks. Well we must have gone off course. Cause I raced mt bikes up there and we def did some of the horse trails, although by accident. DOH!

I plan to be there. Finished the hard way last year on my first attempt. It's challenging, but you just have to keep a steady pace and drink lots of liquids to prevent cramps. It's more of an endurance ride than impossible obsticles. Some of the sections are challenging, but nothing crazy. I also heard last year was easier than some of the previous years.

I just realized that the BBTR event coincides with the 10th Annual Big Bear Carp Roundup..

2013+CARP+ROUNDUP+FLYER+application_Page_2.jpg

So who from SDAR is headed up? :blink:

Regardless, see ya Friday night at the GPS table :good:

SDAR knowledge sages. Do you need to ride this as a 2 day event for the plaque? Or is it ride Saturday the entire loop? So what I'm asking is it a 2 day enduro for a completion plaque or a one day enduro.

I may only be able to one day (Sat) and if that does not get a finisher plaque I'll wait until I can do both days.

Is the course well marked? I dont use gps. I got it do Saturday all the hard stuff get a plaque, how do they know you did it they have check points....or do they down load my non existant GPS map???

Also how tight is the scrutineering inspection. (no turn signals OK?, No horn? facsimile non metal Plate with 100% street legal paperwork?

In, looking forward to it.

The plaque is for finishing all of the hardways on Saturday. I understand the full monty route for Saturday this year will be just over 200 miles.

The route is GPS only, no roll chart and I don't know if they ribbon the trails.

Don't know if BBTR has their own tech inspection. However, you will be on need-a-plate-to-ride forest roads, to get gas, etc, so that's between you and rangers/The Law, I suppose.

Several threads on the ride here on the D37 dual sport message board: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

start of the week....I'm close to being IN. have a group thats going, just need to follow a 20mph speed averge GPS wizard that I can keep up with!!

Some "light" ribboning was actually done this past weekend but I wouldn't say you can rely on ribbon alone......there's a lot out there from other jeep clubs, etc....

Don't sweat the inspection.....you're signing an application stating that you are responsible for bringing a street legal rig......show up with a street plate and keep a low profile......from my experience, the Forest Service is more concerned with spark arrestors than anything else...

Hardway course is just over 200 miles (skip optional fuel stop after ~47 miles in the morning and keep moving....you MUST have a ~95 mile range in the afternoon for the hardways so I don't see why anyone would stop at the optional morning fill-up unless they were planning on filling up after ~48 miles then finishing out without another stop......which is doable if you have a ~160 mile range)

AM Tracks - ~95 mile loop back to Big Bear/gas (optional gas after ~48 miles but you shouldn't need it if you showed up with 95 mile range......you MUST have 95 mile range for PM tracks)

PM Tracks - ~95 miles to gas on PM tracks then another ~30 to finish out after gas.....

Ssssshhhhhh, it's a secret :coolio::heh:

So who from SDAR is headed up? :blink:

Regardless, see ya Friday night at the GPS table :good:

Is that it? :unsure: Surprised more of you aren't stepping up for this event.....

BTW, if you see me on the trail Sat that's NOT a good thing.......I'll be riding middle Hardway Sweep.......once we reach the checkpoints they fold up/close down.......so stay in front of sweep if you're chasing a plaque......

A few more key points:

- Rider meeting at 8:30PM tomorrow night at the convention center

- Hardway Riders - show up with ~100 mile fuel range so you can skip optional gas stop on AM Tracks......you MUST have that range on the PM Tracks

- First HW check point Sat morning is at the Convention Center (sssshhhh it's a secret :ph34r: ).....I think they'll allow you to check in no earlier than 6am.......if you leave earlier/blow off checking in at the convention center you will NOT get a plaque :ohno02::axehead:

I'm glad they are keeping the honest a little more honest this year. I'll bet he 830 meeting sounds something like this... If you don't make it to the check points on time NO PLAQUE FOR YOU! Good for them. Someones gonna be mad about it for sure.

I'll see you at the tracks table and if you catch me on the trail, kindly push me along.

Thanks for posting up the information!

SV

- First HW check point Sat morning is at the Convention Center (sssshhhh it's a secret :ph34r:/> ).....I think they'll allow you to check in no earlier than 6am.......if you leave earlier/blow off checking in at the convention center you will NOT get a plaque :ohno02:/> :axehead:/>

This is a good idea. One can only assume the second checkpoint is set up if the first one is.

Can't wait to start the ride!

Hope all went well today for riders and workers alike....I've worked a checkpoint and volunteered for a few years now, but this year the timing was bad....I just got back late monday from 9 days in kauai, so heading out for the weekend wasn't possible....

look forward to hearing all about it...

I ride big bear ALOT, but I choose to not ride the saturday of the BB Run, as I enjoy the trails without the 500 extra bikes,so I work the event and ride on sunday usually...

and I certainly have no desire to chase a plaque.....I've riden most of those hard ways...but surely not all in one day.. :blink:/>