At the blue in heading to Borego all is well!

I saw two Hondas with funny looking number plates hanging on the back of them today on trail 084.

Any of you ? ( Ocotillo Wells )

I saw two Hondas with funny looking number plates hanging on the back of them today on trail 084.

Any of you ? ( Ocotillo Wells )

nope. we were 3 DRZs + XR400 + a flying KLR

Made it home. That was an awesome! it was great to meet you guys thanks for everything!

Kato _thanks for the stats. flying klr!

yea...

borda

post-15238-066430000 1364194433_thumb.jp

Diablo drop-off

post-15238-039788400 1364194461_thumb.jp

desert pit-stop

post-15238-018864300 1364194490_thumb.jp

Great ride guys, thanks for all the GPS and trail knowledge. Time to go to work came way to soon this morning...lol

That's a lot of miles! Anything crazy happen in particular? Let's hear about how this KLR flies.

Here are my pics. Someone else will handle the actual writeup better than me I'm sure.

Slaugo's in La Mesa, 6:30am:

PHOTO_20130324_063516_zpse0ac0dc0.jpg

First short break by the border tunnel during the border fence ride from Tecate to Campo:

PHOTO_20130324_073713_zps94cdb3a4.jpg

@ Canyon "without a name" entrance:

PHOTO_20130324_100826_zps308e4317.jpg

PHOTO_20130324_100854_zps956e96d0.jpg

PHOTO_20130324_100838_zpsedf2055f.jpg

Exploring some mud caves

PHOTO_20130324_104248_zpse8949368.jpg

PHOTO_20130324_105959_zps07cb546b.jpg

CL300Capt's first time in sand looked like.. well.. not his first time in sand. Nice one man! Here he is easily handling Diablo drop off:

PHOTO_20130324_112752_zps00a3ad68.jpg

Doctor Z in Sandstone Canyon:

PHOTO_20130324_120708_zps455afec3.jpg

Followed by CL300Capt:

PHOTO_20130324_120713_zps170135ef.jpg

And 97XR400R:

PHOTO_20130324_120718_zpsb86c6f0d.jpg

PHOTO_20130324_120808_zps04a00b51.jpg

A little hard on the throttle going up to a ridge in shell reef and I took flight off the lip on the top (behind me as I was taking this pic). Problem is that the ridge was skinny and that while my bike and I were airborne at the same time we were actually only connected through the handlebar... I didn't let go though, but it made aiming for the landing on the ridge a lil' hard to say the least. Finally came to a "stop" with the bike (and I) about a foot from dropping down 40 or 50 feet and that most likely would have been the end of my beloved KLR (myself I would have flown off like superman, no worries). Anyways, escaped unarmed somehow:

PHOTO_20130324_141658_zpsaac9f974.jpg

This must be a distant relative of my bike:

PHOTO_20130324_185532_zps2b16c48b.jpg

Black Mountain made for a nice night-time ender, over 13h after we started.

PHOTO_20130324_194434_zpsb1839b6f.jpg

LET'S RIDE!

This must be a distant relative of my bike:

PHOTO_20130324_185532_zps2b16c48b.jpg

:lol: Thanks for the pics. That new tank looks sweet too and now your bike doesn't look like half of a trash can.

:lol:/>/> Thanks for the pics. That new tank looks sweet too and now your bike doesn't look like half of a trash can.

ahha yea thanks. at equal amount of gas its quite a bit lighter than the oem unit, and also carries gas (weight) lower. most of all it protects very well the radiator (as you can see on this last ride without this tank I would have been without one)

Wow, what a day! My day didnt't end 'till midnite. Rode on the flat rear tire from Borrego Springs to Santa Ysabel. By that time it was almost 7pm. Called my wife to pick me up. She doesn't like

to drive my truck, so she came with the Corolla. We drove home to Spring Valley. I showered, got in the truck and drove back to Santa Ysabel to get the DRZ.

Had a blast all day though. Nice meeting Scott, John,Charlie. Already knew high flyin' Kato!

Dennis

Wow, what a day! My day didnt't end 'till midnite. Rode on the flat rear tire from Borrego Springs to Santa Ysabel. By that time it was almost 7pm. Called my wife to pick me up. She doesn't like

to drive my truck, so she came with the Corolla. We drove home to Spring Valley. I showered, got in the truck and drove back to Santa Ysabel to get the DRZ.

Had a blast all day though. Nice meeting Scott, John,Charlie. Already knew high flyin' Kato!

Dennis

Bummer D, nice to have met you. great ride.

Sorry you had the longest day. We could have gotten you home sooner.

Look for you on the next ride.

screenshot_01_zpsd8ac7b82.jpg

20130324214402958_zps2c87c374.jpg

good night

Hey Kato, what's that GPS mapping program you're using?

Hey Kato, what's that GPS mapping program you're using?

OruxMaps on my android phone. Capable little program able to work with several online maps (such as google maps) but also completely offline with preloaded maps (e.g. vector maps), which you download ahead of time and store in your phone. You can also create your own maps, but I haven't played with that yet.

I had the whole anza borrego "kmz" file loaded on it yesterday so if needed/lost I could know exactly what canyons we were in, even if the preloaded map doesn't show it.. hope that makes sense. To get an idea just download that kmz and import it into google earth, that's basically what I got on my phone along with the little arrow that shows the current position. can be handy.

I use that app just in case I get lost really, and to track. No turn by turn directions (although it can do it) because it's still a phone so it stays in my pocket, not on handle bar.

important thing is the battery: I put the phone in airplane mode (but with satellite reception turned on obviously) and battery drain is not bad at all. I do however carry an extra phone battery for backup and I plug-in the cigarette usb charger (phone still in pocket) on easy stretches or pavement.

There are a few others apps that you can check out too: locus, trekbuddy (only works with offline maps), etc..

Good to see you guys out on the trails. Thanks for your parts help guys. Our chain fix actually held up, but we appreciate your offerings and camaraderie.

1364265475[/url]' post='148043']

Good to see you guys out on the trails. Thanks for your parts help guys. Our chain fix actually held up, but we appreciate your offerings and camaraderie.

http://dualsport-sd....042#entry148042

Glad you made it back. Did you land on a rock to break it? Great video. Was a really great day to ride.

Well the cold my wife had all week and I thought I shook on Sat came back this morning. And SDAR's website isn't allowing me to load pix right now. I have some of the video edited, however everything on from when I crashed to the end of the ride is just black, including the ridge ride. Ill try to upload again tomorrow.

So we had a great ride, I broke off a couple of times to check out the compression, rebound and Pre-load adjustments I made. Got to hit 79 mph on shell reef expressway. Caught a trio of KTM's that past us as we were finishing exploring one of the mud caves. Had my first SDAR crash trying to go up Devils Slide with my Bridgestone Angel Wings. Which preformed pretty flawless throughout the day. They easily got me up blow sand,,however I couldn't wheelie up Blowsand. And 8 or so feet from the top of Devils slide which I hit with a lot of wheel spin then caught traction from sand to rock was a bit too much for me. But they were railing through the twisties all day. Charlie, you were riding great, Dennis, way to ride. Bummer about the flat. Sort it out and lets ride. Jon thanks for all the directions, trail knowledge and railing the twisting with me. Kato, all over the place, as usual..lol thanks for taking point so much and your gps knowledge and direction. The stats snapshot is cool. I already down loaded something similar for the I-Phone. Tested it on my 20 mile bicycle ride today and it drained my battery pretty quick.

Thanks for all putting in the effort for having a safe fun ride.

Well the cold my wife had all week and I thought I shook on Sat came back this morning. And SDAR's website isn't allowing me to load pix right now. I have some of the video edited, however everything on from when I crashed to the end of the ride is just black, including the ridge ride. Ill try to upload again tomorrow.

So we had a great ride, I broke off a couple of times to check out the compression, rebound and Pre-load adjustments I made. Got to hit 79 mph on shell reef expressway. Caught a trio of KTM's that past us as we were finishing exploring one of the mud caves. Had my first SDAR crash trying to go up Devils Slide with my Bridgestone Angel Wings. Which preformed pretty flawless throughout the day. They easily got me up blow sand,,however I couldn't wheelie up Blowsand. And 8 or so feet from the top of Devils slide which I hit with a lot of wheel spin then caught traction from sand to rock was a bit too much for me. But they were railing through the twisties all day. Charlie, you were riding great, Dennis, way to ride. Bummer about the flat. Sort it out and lets ride. Jon thanks for all the directions, trail knowledge and railing the twisting with me. Kato, all over the place, as usual..lol thanks for taking point so much and your gps knowledge and direction. The stats snapshot is cool. I already down loaded something similar for the I-Phone. Tested it on my 20 mile bicycle ride today and it drained my battery pretty quick.

79 on dirt? You were moving - that's quick for a DRZ! What gearing are you running on the it?

1364265475[/url]' post='148043']

http://dualsport-sd....042#entry148042

Glad you made it back. Did you land on a rock to break it? Great video. Was a really great day to ride.

It was xr650lnoob's chain that flew off. Not sure what happened. Maybe a rock, maybe a chain being a little too loose and maybe a culmination of things. He was riding in the wash canyon and then revvvvvvv. Nice little groove in the swing arm, sprocket side and a few links. It's a lock clip type main link. Nothing "broke" per se, the lock clip and the plate came off and then the link bent under force, thus releasing the chain. It could have been a lot worse, like a chain getting all gnarled up in the wheel, etc. I actually think the chain issue turned out better than a flat tire.

79 on dirt? You were moving - that's quick for a DRZ! What gearing are you running on the it?

It's funny you guys mentioned speeds. 1Kstep checked his computer and it read 163mph as his last recorded high speed before our ride. Although, while that is ridiculously off, you gotta love the accuracy of them gauges on dirt bikes. I never trust what mine reads especially at freeway speeds.

Slaugo,thanks for organizing an awesome ride! I look forward to going back out there soon, SO MUCH to ride and so little time yesterday! Kato, John and Dennis it was great meeting you guys, lots of fun riding with you all. Dennis, I'm sorry you had such a tough day. I didn't get home till 9:30 myself. When I departed Ramona on the 78 West, there was a bad accident. I waited a while but drove back into Ramona, South ont he 67 and took Slaugo's suggested route (Highland Valley Rd) west to the 15.

My stats; departed San Marcos about 5:30 AM, go home at 9:30 PM. Total miles were 333. Immediately took 800mg of Ibuprophen and a hot shower! Slept like a baby!

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Charlie

Stock gearing, aftermarket chain. Yeah, 86 is the top on shell reef expressway that I could ever hit, 90 plus clocked on my CRF with GPS on SRExpwy.

But it's all relative, that's the stock speedo and depending on tire size, wear and surface these can be off by at least 10% IMHO.

But 5rh gear on the expressway waiting for my tire to catch some gription took some time since SRexpwy is prolly due to be graded again soon. And you got to remember that Shellreef expressway is prolly as close to a flat straight line as your gonna get to go faster.

But somewhere close to 70-80 tells my my high speed is set as good as I can get it but my low speed rear shock could use se playing.

With my rear pack, tank bag, full camelback backpack and my big arse, I was happy with the bike setup for toal weight being over 600 pounds.

It's funny you guys mentioned speeds. 1Kstep checked his computer and it read 163mph as his last recorded high speed before our ride. Although, while that is ridiculously off, you gotta love the accuracy of them gauges on dirt bikes. I never trust what mine reads especially at freeway speeds.

Yes it's funny how most can be off, but 163 is way off. Calibration might be in order.

Kato's is off prolly by ten % with his Gps or vice versa, mine seemed to be close to his gps, but its all a gauge.

65-80 is much quicker to check the suspension setup than 30-40 so it's all a variable gauge. But you can still get the feel for the setup in fifth gear trying go fast.