ShocknAwe

Here We Go Again!

The Shock is back! Well, not yet, but the itch is, and so is a $5,500 budget. All these bikes are plated I have seen on Craigslist in Bay Area: 2013 CRF250L ($4,600) - 2009 TE410 ($5,500) - 2007 WR450F ($5,300) - 2010 Husq 310 ($4,300) - 2007 Honda CRF450x ($4,200). I'm looking to buy anywhere from the SF Bay Area to San Bernardino. My last real dual sport was a KTM 400 EXC, which was pretty darn close to perfect for me, except for changing oil all the time and breaking parts from crashing all the time. Ironically, I never damaged the plated 400 EXC on tracks, but it lost a lot of good parts on trails. I have no desire to exceed 76mph on the street and will be keeping this horse in a high desert stable with quick access to the San Gabriel Mountains. As most of you know, I am not mechanical. So changing altitudes from high desert (around Pinon Hills) to mountains make FI a real plus. I'm not going to race, but I'd like something that can raise the front wheel and grunt. From above, I'd say the 2009 Husq with 400 miles is the best buy, esp if I can get it for $5k.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

ShockNAwe (the Paul that loves to ride the most)

My wife has the ktm 2002 400 exc. It is wonderful DS machine. As much power as my ktm 2008 450 exc. Smoother throttle than my 2008 450 exc. Softer hit with as much power.

The husky may be close. I would focus on a wide ratio transmission as a must have for a DS and check the vibration of each bike. Engine balancers are worth their weight in gold. Honda 450X and maybe that WR 450 have that wide ratio transmission.

Guest Crusty

The only one I would buy is the CRF 450X

I only rode mine at Pala for the last 1 1/2 years, it's that good!!!coolio.gif

Hope to see you soon with an X.

Craig.

I figured you would pick the venerable Baja racing machine!

The only one I would buy is the CRF 450X

I only rode mine at Pala for the last 1 1/2 years, it's that good!!!coolio.gif

Hope to see you soon with an X.

Craig.

I have an 08 TE510 with 600 miles on it for $4700. FI and known to be bulletproof. Some extras like big tank and Nomadic rack and power up kit, Lowering link

Stay away from those WR's......they have attack trained exhausts.

CIMG0110.jpg

Do they match...?

CIMG0111.jpg

Stay away from those WR's......they have attack trained exhausts.

CIMG0110.jpg

Do they match...?

CIMG0111.jpg

Ken let the bike cool off before hugging it in the garage next time.

My momma didn't raise no Shocks. That's not my belly..... :king:/>

I really appreciated him helping to load my bike, though.

ROFL!!! Hey Trophy, that was such an epic desert ride I took my shirt off to enjoy the sun and help load a bike until . . . . When I get my Facebook page, that will have to make an appearance of stupidity at the hottest level. I remember saying, "Now we are going to keep this one to ourselves right??" Then I saw a smile and realized I had no chance of it. Those pics were literally an evidentiary smoking gun that would haunt into the future. But alas, I look forward to riding with you again (and the usual suspects).

As for the WR450f, I know it rocks the Casbah, but how does that compare to a 08 TE510 with FI? I don't mean to break open a can of FI v carb debates, but the weight on both is light (around 260lbs), so maybe such a debate in 2013 is warranted: are fuel injected bikes better? Do the true dirt bikes like the WR450f and CRF450x have some extra grunt that the street legal Husq TE series is missing? If there is something missing in the street legal version of FI, is there a way to give it that grunt? If I had never ridden a YZ426 or YZ450 I would never have known what it was like to ride a bike like that - way too much fun cracking that throttle. The WR250R (the one w/pink horn and basket) pales in comparison.

My momma didn't raise no Shocks. That's not my belly..... king.gif/>

I really appreciated him helping to load my bike, though.

I am interested. Where is it? I don't know what a power up kit or lowering link involve. An online source says, "Install the off-road kit that comes with the bike. Freeing the TE’s herd of ponies requires a new air filter cage, removing a throttle stop, inserting a plug into the oxygen sensor bung and plugging a jumper clip into the wiring harness where the O2 sensor plugs in. You can also remove a catalytic converter located inside the header/muffler junction, but that didn’t make much of a difference in either power or sound."

Read more: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/online-exclusives/141_1009_2010_husqvarna_te_450_first_test/#ixzz2NidjRMVl

I have an 08 TE510 with 600 miles on it for $4700. FI and known to be bulletproof. Some extras like big tank and Nomadic rack and power up kit, Lowering link

Just plain hard to find some bikes, like the WR450, plated. I don't have enough knowledge to talk FI v Carb but I'm sure you'll find something that fits.

Re the pic.....it's just a classic. And classics go on forever!!!! Glad you had in home medical care for that one.

Re the pic.....it's just a classic.

the pic IS pretty classic... not often that a 3 flat day gets upstaged by a aftermarket cattle branding

WR vs Husky and Carb vs EFI-

When I got the Wr, I remarked that the forks felt "harsh"... after I had George do his magic on the forks, they were amazing. i couldn't believe how they really made that bike handle... better than anything I'd ever ridden before or since. rode a STOCK Husky, and was amazed that it was actually worse (for me) than my DRZ! So PLAN on some suspension work, and I was told the WR has more suspension potential than the Husky

EFI- altitude changes are a HUGE reason to consider EFI. It seems the better you dial in a carb for the elevation you ride, the more picky it gets when you go up or down. My DRZ is fine up until about 8000 feet when it starts to bog, and it works great all the way down to Sea Level. EFI is less likely to gum up like a carb, when left sitting. Carbs probably easier to fix in BFE (like carrying a couple of jets in your toolbox)... but I'm no authority on the subject

Dang Boy's !!!

Re the pic.....it's just a classic.

the pic IS pretty classic... not often that a 3 flat day gets upstaged by a aftermarket cattle branding

WR vs Husky and Carb vs EFI-

When I got the Wr, I remarked that the forks felt "harsh"... after I had George do his magic on the forks, they were amazing. i couldn't believe how they really made that bike handle... better than anything I'd ever ridden before or since. rode a STOCK Husky, and was amazed that it was actually worse (for me) than my DRZ! So PLAN on some suspension work, and I was told the WR has more suspension potential than the Husky

EFI- altitude changes are a HUGE reason to consider EFI. It seems the better you dial in a carb for the elevation you ride, the more picky it gets when you go up or down. My DRZ is fine up until about 8000 feet when it starts to bog, and it works great all the way down to Sea Level. EFI is less likely to gum up like a carb, when left sitting. Carbs probably easier to fix in BFE (like carrying a couple of jets in your toolbox)... but I'm no authority on the subject

My Husky is in Ramona. The suspension is pretty damn good stock. I rode 225 miles in the desert dash and was very impressed with the handling as well. Whole lotta bike for the money plus it is Ca. legal from factory. Great bike but I find myself on the 950 more than not.

My Husky is in Ramona. The suspension is pretty damn good stock. I rode 225 miles in the desert dash and was very impressed with the handling as well. Whole lotta bike for the money plus it is Ca. legal from factory. Great bike but I find myself on the 950 more than not.

Agreed. My Husky's suspenders are good stock. Can be made better, but are to fine to start with.

For the sake of the debate I'll add that I'll never own a carbed bike again and Suspension can always be made better.

Good to hear from you again Paul.