SCHWINN

Got a new old bike

I got to thinkin about doing a street legal light weight enduro and my KTM 690 is going to kill me or I kill it with some of the stuff I do with it. So I have been fishing around and talking to Crusty alot and behold...My friend has a Honda 2004 CRF 250X sitting in his garage. Before he would sell it to me he gave it to Honda and had them go thru it. Valves adjusted, New battery,Carb adjusted and cleaned, fluids changed, paid up registration, $500 bucks worth.

I paid $ 1800 for it. Crusty reminded me that if it blows up we will just make it a perfect donor for a CR 500 transplant :crazy:

post-596-092377900 1360347224_thumb.jpg

post-596-055227200 1360347241_thumb.jpg

post-596-007168700 1360347258_thumb.jpg

go small or go home, great choice for a killer trail bike. Keep good oil in it fuel it and ride it, basically bullet proof.

Nice, looks like a good score!

basically bullet proof.

Except for the valves made from chocolate.

I thought you said "steet legal"?

patience :ph34r:/>

Does a red sticker bike have a chance at being street legal?

2004 250X is green sticker. I was about to get mine street legal, sort of. :unsure:

2004 250X is green sticker. I was about to get mine street legal, sort of. :unsure:/>/>

NX valves don't melt in your mouth nor the bike!

Thats a great deal schwinn! I want to see that thing in action soon! Congrats.

I have a couple of bent ones here that prove you wrong!

2004 250X is green sticker. I was about to get mine street legal, sort of. :unsure:/>

I see it. In the picture the top of the sticker is red, but it is the bottom that is green.

You also have a neighbor who escaped from the mental asylum!

Schwinn, will this be your trail bike and keep the 690 as the dezsled or whatcha thinking?

Guest Crusty

Who worked on your bike????

NICE find Schwinn.

I want one too.

I see it. In the picture the top of the sticker is red, but it is the bottom that is green.

The month and year on GREEN stickers are in RED...Even the NEW 250X and 450X are green sticker. Its the "R" Models that have been RED since 02-04...Somewhere in there.

You guys are forgetting I own and have owned CRF 450Rs since 2002 including a street legal CRF 450R in 2002.

Here is my 2002 CRF 450R green sticker street legal at the Desert Dash like 2004? With Codyboy at Grapevine Trail

HondaCRF450R.jpg

This will be my 1st 250X and Valves are OK now but will be going to Kibble White soon.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/92/products_id/1311

This will be my 1st 250X and Valves are OK now but will be going to Kibble White soon.

Good mod if you go for the stainless steel valves, once the stock ones need adjusting they will go out of spec really quick. A 2005 250R cam is another great mod. Good bikes for the most part.

Schwinn, will this be your trail bike and keep the 690 as the dezsled or whatcha thinking? Qoute.....

Just a trail bike. It will not work well in Glamis with a guy my size and weight. To me my KTM 690 does very well at the Desert Dash. This will the 4th year doing the Dash on the 690. My CRF 450R will be doing duty on phantom trail or if I pull 1 of the KTM 300s with the rekluse clutch for phantom only. BTW My 690 works in Glamis but not well so I gave up on taking it to glamis.

This section of Phantom Trail is soooo steep that laying my bike down on its side was like putting it over on a kick stand. I walked ahead to clear rocks.

PhantomTrail1.jpg

So why do you say 690 dosen't work so good for Glamis ? Tires?

So why do you say 690 dosen't work so good for Glamis ? Tires?

I have NEVER worried about what tire to use. The 690 is not flickable in the sand. Go straight up the steep side of a very large deep bowl chasing my kids and they decide to do a 180 on the top. The 690 will not do this. All 450s do. as well as my CR 500 and my old KTM 525 did VERY well all in Glamis. The 690 will do Glamis but is ALOT of work.

Try chasing these youngsters around. Btw the way...they are seasoned vets in Glamis and fear no sand. All have paddles and some have grooved smoothies on front. Thats my youngest on right in the Honda gear...

P1010890.jpg

Me and my Honda 450R in Glamis.

Glamis2012.jpg

Wheelie.jpg

This no worky unless I just do straight line or hang out at the bottom of OLDS waiting for a drag race.

Paddle6901-1.jpg

It's so nice to feel the love from the kids.

So the 690 extra 100lbs or so ?

It's so nice to feel the love from the kids.

So the 690 extra 100lbs or so ?

The 690 weighs 315 and only has half the turning radious . You know whats weird is I love my 690 at Superstition with a good knobby.

Whats the deal with the turning radious ? Dose it hit the tank or is it rake ? I have the same problem with the R.

Whats the deal with the turning radious ? Dose it hit the tank or is it rake ? I have the same problem with the R.

Bagster can explain this PM him. He took his front end apart and there is 2 settings and yes it has to do with rake.

Concentrics and other words I know nothing about. LOL.

My CFO or Wife says we dont need another bike around here so Its back up for sale on CL in OC. Owner is in Glamis now thru weekend