Sign in to follow this  
FuzzyNugs

Coastal Dirt

This past Saturday I couldn't pass up an opportunity following the rains from Thursday and Friday. I hopped on my bike and cruised up to Camp Pendleton in an attempt to connect some trails and hopefully hit some mud. I did both.

I'll post a few pics below, but here is a link to the Album

Southern approach to San Onofre Peak

aokWv.jpg

Long way up, I had to turn right to get back before dark. Maybe next time.

QNHVd.jpg

Possible single track to get off base?

AUOdl.jpg

I'm thinking of an island hopping dual sport tour with beach landings....

zg82R.jpg

Easily fit a solid 15-20 bikes in here :lol:

ySGyw.jpg

The trail is getting pretty bouldery

Yzg9q.jpg

The trail has proven too tough for even tracked vehicles..the DR goes on..

IcCJi.jpg

..and then it doesn't. We've run aground.

80wKw.jpg

To great heights!

NYLvk.jpg

Twisting down to sea level.

s0PLV.jpg

Fits right in with the others.

e1jPl.jpg

Hilltop panorama.

K4S4f.jpg

Hilltop panorama 2.

5G2Wy.jpg

Last one, pretty far inland, but still ocean views. Check the link above for them all.

XSeYW.jpg

I love getting out to see the sites here because there are so many great views near the sea.

Til next time, enjoy.

Great Pics... looks like fun.. will definately have to get out there ;) I may pass up the boulders though LOL

Nice pics. I didn't know that people were allowed to ride on the Marine base.

That third picture looks a bit familiar....

Nice..I knew there had to be some areas to explore up there...

Are you suggesting you have a guess where that single track goes? I do, but I'm not sure if it's fenced at the base line or if the other end out of the Cleveland NF is gated as well. I didn't have time to explore this one yet...

This was certainly not the best way to do it, but in my research this week I'm not totally in the wrong. The base is open for recreational activities, i.e. hunting, fishing, biking, photography on weekends and holidays as well as after 1600. The base is explicitly against ATV and other off-road vehicles, but street legal vehicles are allowed. I stayed on marked/mapped trails and and am not trying to make an off-road experience out of it so much as explore around. The caveat which I missed and plan to do in the future is to check in with the Game Warden on duty because they are supposed to know which areas and ranges are open or closed due to training needs. A Day Pass is also supposed to be purchased. What has me excited is I read you can camp on Red Beach, which is half way up the base near Las Pulgas gate. Would be awesome to ride right on the beach to a camp site.

Are you suggesting you have a guess where that single track goes? I do, but I'm not sure if it's fenced at the base line or if the other end out of the Cleveland NF is gated as well. I didn't have time to explore this one yet...

This was certainly not the best way to do it, but in my research this week I'm not totally in the wrong. The base is open for recreational activities, i.e. hunting, fishing, biking, photography on weekends and holidays as well as after 1600. The base is explicitly against ATV and other off-road vehicles, but street legal vehicles are allowed. I stayed on marked/mapped trails and and am not trying to make an off-road experience out of it so much as explore around. The caveat which I missed and plan to do in the future is to check in with the Game Warden on duty because they are supposed to know which areas and ranges are open or closed due to training needs. A Day Pass is also supposed to be purchased. What has me excited is I read you can camp on Red Beach, which is half way up the base near Las Pulgas gate. Would be awesome to ride right on the beach to a camp site.

I can't keep track of when the base is open for public recreation. Before 911, I went there to fish on Lake Oneil, after buying an annual fishing permit from the base fish and game department. Afterwards, it was closed for a while, but then opened a couple years later. Then they closed it again. Now I guess it's open. Good to know.

so most of those trails are legit to ride/drive on? some of those pics bring back some memories. were you up near mateo/SOI/horno? not sure if its still in the same location, but the transport boat just like that used to be in the san meteo "backyard", and the line of tanks looks like SOI. if those areas are on the north side, i spent many years hiking all over creation out there with 1/5 and i think about 20 miles into every hike i was thinking this would be so much more fun if i was on a bike...lol

keep us posted on if you find more legit trails to ride on. i would love to get my bike out there and explore. awesome pics

so most of those trails are legit to ride/drive on? some of those pics bring back some memories. were you up near mateo/SOI/horno? not sure if its still in the same location, but the transport boat just like that used to be in the san meteo "backyard", and the line of tanks looks like SOI. if those areas are on the north side, i spent many years hiking all over creation out there with 1/5 and i think about 20 miles into every hike i was thinking this would be so much more fun if i was on a bike...lol

keep us posted on if you find more legit trails to ride on. i would love to get my bike out there and explore. awesome pics

They are definitely legit access roads on the map. I'm not going to ride on the firebreaks, tank trails etc. You are 2/2 on the locations though. The boat is out back behind some barracks in San Mateo 62 area and the tanks at SOI are obvious. I took Las Pulgas, to Horno Canyon, dropped over the mountain into SOI, back up the mountain to San Onofre Peak and dropped down to the coast by the BP checkpoint. Then went north through San Onofre to San Mateo area and checked out the northern part of base at Talega Canyon before turning around to slab it home on I-5.

For the record, I would hate to ruck through these mountains so props to you and all the Marines roughin it. A bike certainly makes things easier!

For the record, I would hate to ruck through these mountains so props to you and all the Marines roughin it. A bike certainly makes things easier!

LOL I was at Horno. Your route looks like like our monthly hump.... PM me next time you go I would love to reminisce about the bad old days

Let's try to organize a little club ride up there...get the proper permissions, etc. Fuzzy, let's talk about this please.

Nice. Chewed a lot of dirt over the years in all of those locations.

Let's try to organize a little club ride up there...get the proper permissions, etc. Fuzzy, let's talk about this please.

That's a good idea

Hey Kris how is that phone mount working out?

Very very well. I believe it's called the X-mount or something similar by RAM. It is a spring-action X shape to clamp the side of your phone and holds it very well with rubber damped grab arms. My only neg is that the hard plastic underside rubbed and left some black scuff marks on my aftermarket case, but who cares. I'll attribute this to micro-vibrations outside the intended design use.

Highly recommended for mild dual sport and road use where there is little chance of coming off. Otherwise, I'd rather keep my $300-600 phone in a pocket away from rocks and use a dedicated GPS. Can also be used in a car.

I took Las Pulgas, to Horno Canyon, dropped over the mountain into SOI, back up the mountain to San Onofre Peak and dropped down to the coast by the BP checkpoint. Then went north through San Onofre to San Mateo area and checked out the northern part of base at Talega Canyon before turning around to slab it home on I-5.

man thanks for sharing this i had no idea this area was even open to public, looks fun! would like to follow your tracks but having a hard time mapping those trails...

I took Las Pulgas, to Horno Canyon, dropped over the mountain into SOI, back up the mountain to San Onofre Peak and dropped down to the coast by the BP checkpoint. Then went north through San Onofre to San Mateo area and checked out the northern part of base at Talega Canyon before turning around to slab it home on I-5.

man thanks for sharing this i had no idea this area was even open to public, looks fun! would like to follow your tracks but having a hard time mapping those trails...

kato, sorry if this was misleading but it is NOT open to the public as far as I know. I happen to work on base and was doing some "range familiarization"...When I get back from vacation next year, I'm going to speak with the range control and rec personnel to see about setting up some sort of organized ride. Let's all hope they are open to the idea as I'd love to lead a group through this awesome landscape.

There are enough trails to easily do a one-day tour and tie it in with a fundraiser for the troops or wounded warrior organizations.

kato, sorry if this was misleading but it is NOT open to the public as far as I know. I happen to work on base and was doing some "range familiarization"...When I get back from vacation next year, I'm going to speak with the range control and rec personnel to see about setting up some sort of organized ride. Let's all hope they are open to the idea as I'd love to lead a group through this awesome landscape.

There are enough trails to easily do a one-day tour and tie it in with a fundraiser for the troops or wounded warrior organizations.

gotcha! :good: sorry I misunderstood. if the group thingy works I hope to be able to make it