RobATK94

my next dual sport

I have been reading and researching my next by for what seems like months! I thought I was 100% sold and than came across something else. Maybe someone can throw in some first hand experience to help me out.

I am 5'10" 200lbs without gear.

I am looking for daily driver dual sport, 70% street, 30% dirt. I commute to work about 20 miles round trip, about 10 on the freeway, 65-70mph. I want to start doing more long distance dual sporting, adventure, enduro ride, occasional desert trip. I know, I know I want it all.

before my budget was bumped up I was looking at plated XR600Rs, and 94+ ATK 605s. I like the simplicity and reliability that both have. Parts are not very expensive and readily available. Ive had a few ATKs before, you just have to wait for the mail, but most everything is still available. They seemed to fit the bill of what I was looking for and was just about sold on them.

Now my budget got bumped up to 5k. Not saying I want to spend every last penny on the bike, I still might shoot for the XR and have some money left over to do the new bike basics....gears, bars, oil change, brakes, etc. than blow the last bit on gas for a fun trip...lol But with that new budget I also can add the Husqvarna 610, XR650L, DRZ400, and WR250R.

ive heard amazing things about the WR250R, but how would it fit my build? I have seen pics with these things loaded with gear and doing huge adventures, and it still baffles my mind. Ive had an 01 YZ250F a few years ago, can anyone tell me if the power is comparable? I thought it was a pretty fun bike.

I know nothing about the Husky 610, other than what I have read. It seems to handle the highway fairly well. I seem to find more super motos for sale right now though, is there a huge difference in power delivery and suspension? I dont have a problem getting an extra set of knobbies for a supermoto if i have to, and the husky is as amazing as it appears. anyone have one with first hand experience? these seem to be a little harder to find though.

DRZ400, well its a DRZ. ive read up a lot on them, only down fall seems to be its a bit buzzy on the highway.

XR650L, ive spent enough time looking in XR600R, and there seems to be plenty of crossover and its just a street friendlier version.

I know some of you have to have been in a similar predicament at some point. any advice? any reason you would choose one over the other?

I know some of you have to have been in a similar predicament at some point. any advice?

Test ride various bikes. I bet someone on SDAR owns most every model you're interested in......

I borrowed Jaynen's WR250R for a weekend before buying my WR250R.

I ride my WR250R often so I wouldn't be able to check it out to anyone for a weekend, but I'm open to switching bikes with *most* anyone so they can get a feel for it while we're out on a local ride somewhere.....

BTW, I weigh ~250+ with gear......hell, I'm close to that W/O any gear :blink::heh:

The power is nowhere near as snappy as the YZ250F....the WR250R is a heavy/underpowered pig of a bike.....but it doesn't feel as heavy as it is once you start rolling, it's fun/smooth to ride, etc, etc......there are lighter/snappier dualsports, but this bike suits "my" needs for ADV use......

70% street 30% dirt? Try a DR650 out.

x2!

Much better than klr on dirt and street friendly - not buzzy like dr400, I got mine down to 330 lbs. SUPER dependable. XRL is also great choice.

I have the 08 610 and have used it pretty much like you described. Daily commuter and it can handle pretty much anything except the tightest of single track with ease. Very smooth,comfortable, predictable and powerful motor. Strap on the Dirt Bagz and multi day camping trips are no problem. 3k mile service intervals are what they say. Your more than welcome to check it out, take a spin on it. I may even be interested in selling it. I dont know what I would try to replace it with though. Its been a pretty solid performer for Baja, Desert Dash, Big Bear, moto packing.

You mentioned simple. The DR650 is simple. Not a lot of fun in deep sand but I've done everything on mine. If I were in the market, I'd also give the WR250R a look based on reading I've done.

In this order for these reasons:

XR650L- simple, air-cooled, and long enough legs for freeway

WR250R- 6 speed, great on gas

DR650- simple and smooth- a bit low for lots of trails

610- great all around, but a little pricier than the rest

Disclaimer- I ride a DRZ- my only real gripe is the gearing. Stock gearing is ok everywhere; for real dirt I go up to a 49 tooth rear and for commuting I go down to a 41 tooth rear

Stock gearing is ok for 90% of the trails I ride, and okay to about 75 on the freeway-

Ground Clearance Seat Height

DR650 10.5 34.8

XR650L 13 37

WR250R 11.8 36.6

The DR is the closest to the ground but It's never really concerned me. I have seen the results on my bash plate occasionally but I'll take the trade off for the seat height. Since my son rides the milder stuff, we did the factory lowering on his, dropping another 1.8 inches. The DR's suspension is set up for a 170 - 180 pounder riding moderate stuff so it may need upgrades if you go above that. No matter what I ride, most here are faster, but I'll meet ya at the next trail stop.

Rob - be glad to take you on a ride - I'll take my Strom - if you want to try the DR. Disclaimer - mine is modified but you'll get the general idea.

Ground Clearance Seat Height

DR650 10.5 34.8

XR650L 13 37

WR250R 11.8 36.6

The DR is the closest to the ground but It's never really concerned me. I have seen the results on my bash plate occasionally but I'll take the trade off for the seat height. Since my son rides the milder stuff, we did the factory lowering on his, dropping another 1.8 inches. The DR's suspension is set up for a 170 - 180 pounder riding moderate stuff so it may need upgrades if you go above that. No matter what I ride, most here are faster, but I'll meet ya at the next trail stop.

Rob - be glad to take you on a ride - I'll take my Strom - if you want to try the DR. Disclaimer - mine is modified but you'll get the general idea.

as long as you are plannning that... get me and my DRZ, noob or carguy on their 650L, and crawfather on his WR250R

round robin

Disclaimer- I ride a DRZ- my only real gripe is the gearing. Stock gearing is ok everywhere; for real dirt I go up to a 49 tooth rear and for commuting I go down to a 41 tooth rear

Stock gearing is ok for 90% of the trails I ride, and okay to about 75 on the freeway-

DRZ: I changed the gearing to 14/48, got the FCR Carb, did the 3x3 Airbox Mod, punched out some of the baffles in the can, added radiator guards, a "good" skid plate, UFO taillight assy, trailtech headlight, upgraded suspension, bark busters, larger foot pegs, and case protectors. I could have gotten a nice used KTM 625/630 for what I spent on the bike and mods.

Still, it has been a great intro bike for me, and until the countersprocket nut backed off, I hadn't had any issues.

The DR is a better get there to ride bike, but it's even heavier than mine, and mine gets HEAVY after dropping it once or twice on a hot day.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/827/13708/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Husqvarna-TR650-Terra---Strada-1st-Look.aspx

TR650 Terra, MSRP @ 7k for a brand new bike (with proven Rotax 650 power) with possibility of BMW financing as well. Modern, simple, high quality,Euro modern styling, great price point, factory warranty.

Husky NA is outfitting the OEM aftermarket catalog with TR650 hard parts ie; Skid plate, panniers, etc etc. Direct competition in the KLR XRL DR 650 category.

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/10/24/products-tested/2013-husqvarna-tr650-review/

and no I'm not a dealer rep. I just think that in this market (BMW) Husky has brought out a great product with this bike.

Just another choice to think about.

man if my budget was a little more i would be all over this! ive heard a lot about that bmw motor racking up mega miles with no issues!

as far as the bike swap ride, let me see what my schedule is looking and see what we can do. i am pretty busy between work and school.

I've owned two Suzuki DR Z 400s I consider it to be, other than the KTM, by far the superior dual sport bike. There's no way a 330 to 350 pound bike will work anywhere near as well as a 280 pound DRZ.

I've owned two Suzuki DR Z 400s I consider it to be, other than the KTM, by far the superior dual sport bike. There's no way a 330 to 350 pound bike will work anywhere near as well as a 280 pound DRZ.

Ever ridden a Husky 610? Not sure where it tips the scales,, a little over 300 I think. I've ridden the two bikes back to back and they feel pretty close weight wise.

I am also a KTM fan. a friend of mine is storing his 07 450XC while he is away, and i take it out once in awhile to get thing moving, and its a great bike. I would consider KTM if it was not a full on race motor. I am afraid that with what i am planning on, which is more slab than dirt, i would eat threw the KTM fairly quickly.

Ever ridden a Husky 610? Not sure where it tips the scales,, a little over 300 I think. I've ridden the two bikes back to back and they feel pretty close weight wise.

I tend to agree...add in better suspension and better road manners, and you'll see why I left my favorite bike OFF the list for Rob's needs

A 280 pound DRZ? Where can I buy one of THOSE?! Actual wet weight closer to 320.

"Claimed" Dry Weight: 291.0 on DrZ -

"Claimed" Dry Weight: 324.0 on DR 650

A 280 pound DRZ? Where can I buy one of THOSE?!

Maybe a converted DRZ400E or DRZ400K?

DRZ is 291 wet weight, no fuel I believe... You can trim off some weight- no buddy pegs, lighter foot pegs on front, edge tail light, lighter bars, lighter seat, lighter tank (when empty anyway). 280 for the S version seems optimistic, but just weight isn't everything. Trail manners (how it "feels") is more...wr250r is about the same weight, but most people say it feels lighter

The Husky may be a little heavier, but more grunt, and better suspension may make it feel the same.

Again- weight is your friend on the highway-

I'd take a WR250R any day over the DRZ... and I've had two DRZ's and spent some time on a WR250R. The WR is fuel injected, 6 speeds, better suspended, and a smoother motor. The thing that kills the DRZ for me, is the close ratio 5 speed and buzzy engine. It's not a good road bike at all, just my experience/humble opinion. Hell I'd rather be on my little KTM racing bike, at least the KTM has a 6 speed gearbox for high speeds (and you don't lose the low 1st for trails).

The DR650 is a much better road bike than the DRZ, in my experience. It can cruise at 80 nicely and has lots more torque, and less vibration. It's heavier, which is an advantage on the interstate and with crosswinds.

If we are not talking about road worthiness, and only concerned with dirt performance, then any orange dual sport bike bike is going to be far superior to any factory street legal japanese dual sport.

If we are not talking about road worthiness, and only concerned with dirt performance, then any orange dual sport bike bike is going to be far superior to any factory street legal japanese dual sport.

Personally I think your 07 525 is the best all around dualsport made. Daily commuter?? 20 miles a day buzzing around traffic? 70-30 Street-dirt? Go anywhere off road? I dont know,,, the Husky has been great for that. Tough call. I'm guessing had I gone orange 4 years ago I wouldnt of regretted that either.

I like the idea of a ride, or a weekend where we get as many models together as we can with the spirit of swapping bikes

A 280 pound DRZ? Where can I buy one of THOSE?!

Maybe a converted DRZ400E or DRZ400K?

You're right my DR Z 400 K weighed in about 265 and the E version is around 280 the S version another 20 pounds or so.