RobATK94

my next dual sport

My 2003 xrl's got about 25000 miles on it.

I go about 80ish on the freeway to get to corral canyon, borrego etc. Ride the single tracks, etc and head back home without issues. Lots of grunt. Comfortable and low maintenance (CDI going bad is the only major thing i've experienced).

I haven't ridden it for sometime due to a busy schedule and i'm waiting on some parts.

You are welcome to try it out once the parts are ready.

Rob, why not a plated XR650R? You mention that you were looking at XR600s.

Lots of guys SuMo them for city fun, they love the open dez and have been proven durable. SDAR member SteelRain has taken his to Pala and Jamul VMX. Its a bigger bike for sure but it has a great motor stock and wide gearbox. Stock it can do 100mph. It'll have a more dirt worthy suspension compared to the DR650 and XR650L. I think the Husky 610 would have a more advanced suspension and the WR would be more modern. I've taken my DRZ400E to Pala many times. The suspension cannot handle the big hits very well but it gets me around the vet track okay. I'd love to flog a WR250R in the dez or at the track sometime.

Whatever bikes you narrow it down to, consider how much $ it'll take to set up the bike for you. Motor mods, suspension mods, seat, etc etc

Example: If you ever look at DRZs, look for E models (already have the pumper carb and are lighter cause they don't have the street crap on them).

Have fun shopping and keep us posted

Lots of guys SuMo them for city fun, they love the open dez and have been proven durable. SDAR member SteelRain has taken his to Pala and Jamul VMX. Its a bigger bike for sure but it has a great motor stock and wide gearbox. Stock it can do 100mph. It'll have a more dirt worthy suspension compared to the DR650 and XR650L.

I completely agree, XR650R. Me very happy, my 650 very happy. The picture says it all. :party:

DSCN3387.JPG

I traded up after riding an XR600 for 10 years.

CA plated 650Rs can be found for less than $3k.

I came back to riding on an xr600, screw kicking a bike! After you drop it you will wish you had a better starting technique. Just this last weekend me and Wildwood crashed at the same time about a hundred feet from each other, I pushed the button and rode back to help him kick-and-kick, whatever you get make sure it has the magic button.

By the way Afry is hard to keep up with and he is on a dr650, well until he gets a flat and some other things happen.

Uncle c.

After you drop it you will wish you had a better starting technique.

If the XR has a pumper carb that is set up right, starting after a drop is not an issue.

To each their own.

Lots of guys SuMo them for city fun, they love the open dez and have been proven durable. SDAR member SteelRain has taken his to Pala and Jamul VMX. Its a bigger bike for sure but it has a great motor stock and wide gearbox. Stock it can do 100mph. It'll have a more dirt worthy suspension compared to the DR650 and XR650L.

I completely agree, XR650R. Me very happy,

If the numbers were reversed to 70% dirt I would say xr650r. The lack of the magic button makes you feel pretty lame and could even be dangerous if you ever stall on the road. Ask me how I know. :heh:

ok i got to ride a few different bikes this past week. a few higher end one, and a few old timers. what i realized is for a commuter, or even just to work a few times a week, i want electric start. even for trail riding. most of these bike are no light weights, so again i wanted estart for those off camber situations where kicking isnt really an option.

so that narrowed my list down. I also had a reality check in that i didnt want to blow my entire budget on just the bike itself. figured its used, its gonna need somethings changed. i narrowed it down to DRZ, XR650L, and ATK 605. husky 610 from what i found locally would have been cutting it close budget wise.

after riding the XRL, and having owned an ATK, i was pretty set on either of these in good condition with low miles. like i mentioned before, i was selling of some of my other bikes in the mean time. well i found a guy who had an low mile 97 ATK 605 who was interested in a bike and parts i had. long story short, got a 97 ATK 605, for a few hundred bucks after the trade. need a front tire, filter, sprocket change, and general maintenance, but has less than 4k miles. has estart, WP suspension...i know not the greatest, but at least on par or better than XRL and DRZ. also got a spare front wheel, now i just need a rear and i can use the hubs for a set of extra supermoto wheels. i think it fits the bill for what im going to use it for, im familiar with the rotax, i can get front sprockets all the way up to 18T, so gearing for street or dirt is not an issue.

so who wants to go riding?...lol hopefully in a week or so i will be riding with some of you guys again. its been almost 2 years since i did a fun dual sport ride!

Ditto. When getting ready for the SUMO set up, consider a 19 front instead of a 17 as you ponder. Considered an ADV set up, it offers some fun cornering and off road capability. I was fortunate enough to borrow a set for the DR and wish I could snag 'em. Future purchase. 'Slut still cleaned my clock on his DRZ with knobbies, but he'll always be faster........:wacko:

Rob,

C'mon, it was always going to be an ATK. That is what you know.

dirol.gif

See you at the Trailhead

There was an ATK605 Sumo that used to park at the Costco in Santee... nice clean bike, with 17s front and rear...

ready to ride when you are

Welp, you better change your SDAR screen name to RobATK97 now....

Those 605s look sick. There are a few very clean ones on craigslist but they're pricey! Do you still have your old MX ATK? Post up a pic of your new one

Welp, you better change your SDAR screen name to RobATK97 now....

Those 605s look sick. There are a few very clean ones on craigslist but they're pricey! Do you still have your old MX ATK? Post up a pic of your new one

yeah there are a few very proud owners on craigslist right now. luckily this was an owner that found me and was interested in a trade for my last spare/project bike. so it all worked out for a killer deal. i do not have the 604MX anymore. that turned out to be a serious project that i did not have time for. best i could figure was it was put together from parts. also no title and no vin, ATK and ADB no longer have records of bikes before the utah built bikes, so i could track down VIN info by motor either. had a lot of little issues, and the more i duh the more i found previous owner temporary fixes. ended up parting some of it out to other ATK guys and selling the bulk of it for someone elses project. luckily this one is good, and ready to ride.