Afry

Lobster run - Sat 9/22/12

Kkug was nice enough to sed me his gps file and I'm hungry. I plan on riding from Ramona leaving early, will take about 1.5 hours to the jump off point at Tecate. From there it is about a 110 mile round trip.

I've been warned it is a busy route with traffic on the trails during weekends. Be Baja ready with spare tubes, tools etc. Also bring passport, ID and current registration.

Disclaimer- I have never ridden this trail but understand it has some pavement in the beginning and later rocky parts, I expect my Dr650 will be just fine. Your bike should be in good condition and highly recommend a skid plate.

Thinking it might be good to leave Tecate by 8:30 so I'm rolling from Ramona at 7. Planning on a steady decent pace to cover some ground so we can spend more time eating LOBSTER and some cold refreshments.

VERY Interested as I'm certain CalNub will be too. We both have GPS and can ride at any pace.

0093-0705-3020-1060_illustration_cartoon_taco_character_with_american_flag.jpg0093-0705-3020-1040_cartoon_taco_character_running.jpg

Afry, any other updates on the DR650 skidplate mod? I have bboyle9's sitting in my garage.

Damn, I need to ride that route and have to work this weekend. Fun/Safe ride! Get lotsa bugs!!!! (Lobsters)

Could be fun. I have new tires, extra tubes and I'm slimed inside. Anybody up for like posting a map?

I'M IN!!! Thought it was this saturday for a seecond.... HELL YEAH! I'M STOKED!

I'M IN!!! Thought it was this saturday for a seecond.... HELL YEAH! I'M STOKED!

Dammit I read it wrong. NEXT Saturday the 22nd not THIS Saturday the 15th crap..... The 15th would have been primo. I'm going to have to reschedule some stuff if I can do the 22nd

It's not this Saturday but next Saturday the 22nd.

If anyone wants to pm me their email I can forward the gpx file which is viewable in Mapsource or dual sport maps. I would like it to be on more than just my gps although I will have it on my Droid in DSmaps as a back up.

1347508651[/url]' post='133228']

Afry, any other updates on the DR650 skidplate mod? I have bboyle9's sitting in my garage.

Not yet, I just got back from a 7 day Sierras ride but if you can move the right rear bolt out about 3/4" of an inch by slotting and new tab fabled it should work for now. I will add material to the rear later.

Nice photos from the Sierra ride on Facebook, I might add!

So, it looks like this adventure tour company does a ride from SD down on pavement to Puerto Nuevo, then back to Tecate in the dirt. They describe the ride from PN to Tecate as 121 miles (that can't be right).

Day 3

After breakfast we will leave the little village of Puerto Nuevo and begin our 121 mile ride to Tecate. With all those miles to cover, you better believe you will be getting a first rate view of the chapparal country side. We will ride through incredible valleys as we head inland on beautiful trails such as the Valle de Guadalupe and La Mision. The trail starts pretty rugged and rocky. As we get nearer to our final destination, notice how the rocks get smaller and smaller and eventually the rocks become sand. Enjoy these sandy trails and breathtaking views before we arrive at our beautifully secluded Hacienda hotel close to Tecate. What a ride! Now that we arrived at the final location you can choose how to spend the rest of the day. Here, in the outskirts of Tecate you won’t find a paved road around for miles. Enjoy the peace that it can bring. You may choose to freshen up and relax poolside. Or, if you still have the energy and would prefer to keep up the momentum we can begin to explore the trails in the area. We will end the day with a dinner at the hotel.

http://www.letsatv.com/tours/destination-baja-ride/

They have some photos posted in the gallary, but not sure which photos apply to the Puerto Nuevo ride:

http://www.letsatv.com/gallery/

Kkug said 88 miles round trip in his email to me and I saw an old post that said 108 so it depends on optional routes I guess. I posted 110 round trip so no one comes up short on fuel.

I can get those files out tommorw to those that pm'ed me.

I can't believe you can take a virtual street view tour of Puerto Nuevo on Google! Is no place safe?

puerto_nuevo.jpg

Thats cool....The restaurant on the first corner to the left is pretty damn good!

Lobster season is not open at that time in MEXICO, therefore you will be eating frozen lobsters from last season, or worst

frozen lobsters imported from another country. But do have a safe ride wish i could join you

Lobster season is not open at that time in MEXICO, therefore you will be eating frozen lobsters from last season, or worst

frozen lobsters imported from another country. But do have a safe ride wish i could join you

They are always frozen - the only place to get fresh ones is from you after 10/3 or catch em yourself. But yeah this also about the adventure!

One of my daughters is getting married this weekend so I'm out.

It's next weekend the 22nd....and congratulations!

As long as the beer is cold, I'm okay. More info below:

http://www.bajalife.com/bordercrossing/dininglobster.html

Fresh vs. frozen: Most of the larger, more popular restaurants are owned or controlled by two families. This gives them the volume and ability to import live lobster from Baja California Sur and from as far away as Cancun during the months when local lobster is out of season. Smaller mom-and-pop operations are often forced to serve frozen lobster during this period. All of the restaurants we recommend serve fresh lobster year-round.

Choosing a lobster: The most tender legal lobster is the medium size, weighing from 1 to 1* pounds. Restaurant owners will admit that anything over this is tough. While very small lobsters, often called "slippers," are delicious and extremely tender, they are illegal to catch, sell or serve at any time of year.

Biggest question is....what do we need for ID to cross back into America ?

I have no passport, no birth certificate handy, only a CA Drivers License.

I have heard varied responses before, but don't want to get stuck crossing back into U.S. !

Leaving for Chicago today

back late next Friday night

if all is well in my world upon arrival back home - would love to join you guys

Choosing a lobster: The most tender legal lobster is the medium size, weighing from 1 to 1* pounds. Restaurant owners will admit that anything over this is tough. While very small lobsters, often called "slippers," are delicious and extremely tender, they are illegal to catch, sell or serve at any time of year.

FYI - This is true at Puerto Nuevo - this is only because they cook them the same way as the smaller lobsters. You don't cook a roast the same way you cook carne asada (directly over a hot heat source). When cooking the larger ones I "steak" them into smaller pieces. I have cooked many lobsters in the 2-7 lb class and can tell you they are just as tender as the small ones - just a whole lot more of it!

Guest Crusty

OUT!!!

10 am.

Work meeting at

1:00 pm.

Paddle out at Sea Side Reef in Solona Beach,for Paul Holcolmb who passed away.mellow.gif

3:00pm

Celibration of life at Pizza Port in Carlsbad

6:00

Birthday party for my daughter.