PastaPilot

Kern Plateau and River Valley, Piutes, Greenhorns, etc.

Been off the bike for most of summer for too many reasons. Must ride again. Next chance will be *shirk* September 21, 22, 23, time frame.

Preferred camping will be at Greenhorn Mountain Park but other areas are possible (Still trying to get a closure date of Greenhorn from Kern County. I think it's Oct 1 but could be just after Labor Day weekend.) Hotels are plentiful and only a few miles away, if that's more your thing.

Preferred riding will be mountain single track, but there are 100s of miles of forest and logging roads for exploration. Generally the exploring has been looking for more trails or pretty things like scenic vistas or waterfalls, meadows packed with wildlife. Sometimes it's just finding the quickest way back to camp at the end of the day to ice down the monkey butt.

For those interested in economy, I have room for one to carpool.

John

I've been off the bike to long myself. That time frame sounds good to me . Greenhorn should be open .

found this one last time, to bad it is short

post-13333-053208300 1346117906_thumb.jp

post-13333-017951800 1346118045_thumb.jp

but it did have a nice puffer flower field on top

post-13333-038268500 1346118188_thumb.jp

Don

Pasta,

Are you planning to occupy a campsite? The website tells a story of showers and toilets. Is that your area or will you disperse to more remote location?

Bagstr

Pasta,

Are you planning to occupy a campsite? The website tells a story of showers and toilets. Is that your area or will you disperse to more remote location?

Bagstr

Yes to the occupying a campsite. I like the campground for the reasons you mentioned as well as being centrally located in the Greenhorns. Remote, no monetary cost, camping is available but there aren't showers and may not be toilets (vault outhouses are at some of the remote campsites) and they are remote. I can afford $14/night for running water and a hot shower after a long day on the trails. Greenhorn Mt Park get's little use. Last time there, late June, I was in 1 of 5 campsites occupied. Two of the others were the host and another local that parks his camper there all summer.

I am more than willing to share a site and somehow split costs.

Also if we ride the Piutes or Kern Plateau, and I'd like to, we may need to shuttle bikes closer due to fueling limitations. Perhaps refueling limitations is more correct?

John

I've been off the bike to long myself. That time frame sounds good to me . Greenhorn should be open .

found this one last time, to bad it is short

post-13333-053208300 1346117906_thumb.jp

post-13333-017951800 1346118045_thumb.jp

but it did have a nice puffer flower field on top

post-13333-038268500 1346118188_thumb.jp

Don

Don, that looks like fun to me, but we really have to get you a new camera. :lol:

Pasta,

Warming to the concept. I should have a larger tank (5gal) by then. Regardless, I can haul two bikes in the Ridgeline.

Is it OK to share this event with the group at BB this weekend? rolleyes.gif

This is exactly why I moved to a more petite format.

Bagstr

Pasta,

Warming to the concept. I should have a larger tank (5gal) by then. Regardless, I can haul two bikes in the Ridgeline.

Is it OK to share this event with the group at BB this weekend? rolleyes.gif

This is exactly why I moved to a more petite format.

Bagstr

Feel free to share with them.

The big tank will be nice to have for the longer transit sections but for the riding we'll do there won't be much more than 50-60 miles on any given trip out of camp. Don's been riding up there on his stock tanked 450 and has always had fuel to spare. My thirsty Ape will drink up it's 3 gallons in about 75 miles. :dead: We may be able to ride to the Piutes from Greenhorn but the Kern Plateau is considerably further from any gas stations.

May we join you? We will ride the easy beginner trails. I can join you for an occassional advanced ride. Should we make reservations?

Beezzz and Wonderwoman

Is this just for plated bikes, or can stickered bikes join in on the fun? If people are going along that want to ride some easier stuff, I might be interested. And is there fishing close by? :coolio:

I would want to stay for a week or more. Does anyone know if I would be able to park and camp with my 32' CLass A motorhome?

When were you thinking of leaving San Diego (day, time) and coming home?

Stickers and spark arrestors are all ya need.

Although the ride from camp to staging area is about a mile in either direction. North has a sign regarding OHV use on the road, South does not. The option is yours, but traffic is minimal on the road. Julie enjoyed riding her green stickered TTR back and forth to camp. September is pretty quite in the area.

With enough riders we can break into groups for easy & hard options, but all skills are welcome.

I'm pretty sure you could get the motorhome into Greenhorn. There are other campgrounds in the area as well as primitive camping available.

I've been travelling too much over the past three weeks. I haven't been able to post a lot in that time. I am still planning on heading out and riding over the weekend. I should have another friend from OC joining in for Sat and Sun.

If there are any questions that might have you on the fence please post here or PM me and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

I heard it's hot there today. Thankfully I'm in Kansas City where it's a pleasant 72*. That's about the same high temperature as Greenhorn Mt Park this week.

I heard from Don Johnson, the un-official tour guide, earlier this week and he is unable to make it. I've got a pretty good handle on where some of the good stuff is, but the rest of the time will just be "ride and explore". I'm still looking forward to a great weekend in the Mountains.

Hope to see you there.

Count me as a 90% yes, work may call me to the east coast in the near future.

If my truck is back from SanFran in time I can haul up to 7 bikes and up to 5 riders without using a trailer and maintaining 4x4 capability. So if anyone would want to carpool...

Count me as a 90% yes, work may call me to the east coast in the near future.

If my truck is back from SanFran in time I can haul up to 7 bikes and up to 5 riders without using a trailer and maintaining 4x4 capability. So if anyone would want to carpool...

What kind of truck can haul 7 bikes and 5 riders without a trailer and still be 4X4 capable?

What kind of truck can haul 7 bikes and 5 riders without a trailer and still be 4X4 capable?

Mine! :lol:

Nissan Pro4X Long Wheel Base with a full travel off road suspension and significant computer and engine upgrades. Not to mention class 3 Hitches front and rear each with over 2,000lbs tongue weight each.

I have hauled 7 bikes before - Three in the bed (gate up), two on the rear hitch with my hauler, and two on the front with a friends hauler.

I have hauled 5 guys also; just not everything all at once.

Searching my computer for a recent image.

Trying to convince myself. 5 hr trip up Fri night with the little toy hauler. Will the trails we be riding only require a green sticker?