Bakertool13

clutch going out, may need a hand

hey all, the clutch is going out in the dr350 so i cant ride, the shop wants 400 bones to replace it, i saw the clutch itself only runs 80 bucks so i plan on attempting this myself. Would anyone be interested in doing this with me for 50 bucks and a case of beer? I prefer to learn how to do it myself instead of always taking stuff in to get fixed, i will be ordering the clutch in the next week or so. Let me know, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Make sure you get the gaskets for the cover and such. Clutch is easy peasy

If you get it to my place, all I ask is the beer.

I can get the shop manual from my brother and I like beer and can read and point and laugh, do you need the book at least?

Tom i will have to take you up on that offer about a week or two from now! Champ i am good on the book but thanks anyway!

If you still have my number, just send me a text when you are ready. Very easy job, I will gladly supervise.

400 bucks to slam a clutch.......whoa. DIY the entire job all within 1/2 hour, 5 mins if your an ISDE rider.

Tom i will have to take you up on that offer about a week or two from now! Champ i am good on the book but thanks anyway!

If you still have my number, just send me a text when you are ready. Very easy job, I will gladly supervise.

I want to watch. I'll bring lounge chairs and cold beer! I might even try to be productive and beg somebody to borrow a brake bleeder to bleed the NX's impossible front brake...

I want to watch. I'll bring lounge chairs and cold beer! I might even try to be productive and beg somebody to borrow a brake bleeder to bleed the NX's impossible front brake...

I could bring chickens for the BBQ.

Looks like I need to clean the place up a bit, gonna be a party. I have propane (and propane accessories) and a big cooler to keep the beers cool. My iPod is full of hits from the 80's and 90's.

Lets do this!

I might even try to be productive and beg somebody to borrow a brake bleeder to bleed the NX's impossible front brake...

Try:

Put a tie-down (or zip ty, whatev) around the handlebar/brake keeping the brake in the squeezed position. Turn the bars all the way to the left so the brake master is at its highest point.

Go to sleep.

Next morning, give it another try. It's always worked for me.

I could bring chickens for the BBQ.

Well, you might.

On the other hand, Tom lives near the Kingdom of All BBQ in San Diego County:

Coops BBQ.

If one has the chance to go to Lemon Grove, one is obligated to make the pilgrimage. It's not to be missed.

BBQ second only to my own.

I might even try to be productive and beg somebody to borrow a brake bleeder to bleed the NX's impossible front brake...

Try:

Put a tie-down (or zip ty, whatev) around the handlebar/brake keeping the brake in the squeezed position. Turn the bars all the way to the left so the brake master is at its highest point.

Go to sleep.

Next morning, give it another try. It's always worked for me.

I've bled almost a quart of fluid through that damn thing, manual bleeding and with the Miti-Vac. I tried repositioning the master cylinder, tried removing the brake caliper and putting it in different phases of the moon. I swore at it several times, and once punched a clown just to see if that would help. Nothing I have done has helped to build up any brake pressure. Punching the clown made me happy for two days, though.

I don't give up easily, but I'm about to give up on that damn thing. Someone save me before more clowns get injured.

tom... you are twice the mechanic I hope to be

but

Is it getting air bubbles? Did you mess with the plunger in the master? Pistons nice and smooth? replace the line?

tom... you are twice the mechanic I hope to be

but

Is it getting air bubbles? Did you mess with the plunger in the master? Pistons nice and smooth? replace the line?

Worked ok, changed to a braided line and now it no-worky no more. It's got to have air in it someplace, I have never back bled a brake but that is the next thing I want to do. After I punch a clown.

I don't give up easily, but I'm about to give up on that damn thing. Someone save me before more clowns get injured.

Have you tried the tie-down overnight?

Also, have you tried compressing the caliper, forcing fluid back up? I've seen some guys just press the caliper with their boot.

Like BS, I pale by comparison to your mechanical ability, and will not wear my clown suit in your presence.

Also, have you tried compressing the caliper, forcing fluid back up? I've seen some guys just press the caliper with their boot.

Like BS, I pale by comparison to your mechanical ability, and will not wear my clown suit in your presence.

I didn't try that yet, but I will do it today before I go to work. I pushed the pistons all the way into the caliper. I am looking for a big syringe, going to push the fluid up from the caliper into the master cylinder.

similar to this: I've removed the wheel and disc, then put an aluminum tire iron between the pads, and gently pushed them all the way out.

I still suspect something in the master cylinder or a bad banjo bolt or something

Tom- doesnt your brake bleeder have that option? I swear mine does... hook it up on the zerk, take the cap off the master, and push fluid up from the bottom until bubbles appear in the master

have somebody handy to siphon off excess (duh)

Tom- doesnt your brake bleeder have that option? I swear mine does... hook it up on the zerk, take the cap off the master, and push fluid up from the bottom until bubbles appear in the master

have somebody handy to siphon off excess (duh)

I've never used it that way, not sure. I'll research it and find out.

I have been told to take off the caliper and turn it upside down to free trapped air ( old boy trick), of course by now maybe you are fed up enough to just turn the whole damn bike upside down!

I have been told to take off the caliper and turn it upside down to free trapped air ( old boy trick), of course by now maybe you are fed up enough to just turn the whole damn bike upside down!

I'll do that tomorrow. Turn the bike upside down I mean.

This thread hijack is out of control. My garage is still available for clutch replacement. And BBQ and beer drinking.

This thread hijack is out of control. My garage is still available for clutch replacement. And BBQ and beer drinking.

My name is Goofy Footer and I take full responsibility for this Hijacking

dummies-thread-hijacking.png