PbdBlue

Adventure Cameras

I've been looking at some of the "rugged" point and shoot camera offerings. I'd like something that will stand up to the rigors of off roading as well as gps enabled. Has anyone had any experience with the Nikon AW100 or any of the waterproof\shockproof offerings from other mfrs? I think Canon and a few others make one as well.

I got the AW100 for father's day. The dust kept eating the $100 point & shoots even tho I kept 'em in a baggie. Still learning but it rates at the top in Consumer Reports. I have yet to sit down with the software & complete manual. The "quick start" manual comes with it but the complete manual is on disk...:wacko:

Costco has $50 off the AW100 right now.

Not much of a report, but I've taken some pics with it and it works. I get more sofisti, soffesta, sopheesta.....you know what I mean....later.

I have the Canon D10 and think it works well. After a few lens/camera cleanings due to dust I just ponied up and got a waterproof. The D10 works well for me.

I bought the Panasonic TS-3. Nice to be able to go use in the water as well. No complaints as of yet, but limited use.

I went to Calumet my local camera shop and they sell 4 or 5 different dust proof , water proof point and shoot cameras. They only recommend the Nikon and the Panasonic if your looking for good photo quality. Not saying that the others don't take good pictures just that these 2 are the best available at this time. I'm probably going with the Panasonic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838514-REG/Panasonic_DMC_TS4D_LUMIX_DMC_TS4_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818682-REG/Nikon_26293_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html

Covered in Cameras

I went to Calumet my local camera shop and they sell 4 or 5 different dust proof , water proof point and shoot cameras. They only recommend the Nikon and the Panasonic if your looking for good photo quality. Not saying that the others don't take good pictures just that these 2 are the best available at this time. I'm probably going with the Panasonic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838514-REG/Panasonic_DMC_TS4D_LUMIX_DMC_TS4_Digital_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818682-REG/Nikon_26293_Coolpix_AW100_Waterproof_Digital.html

Covered in Cameras

So what leans you to the Panasonic over the Nikon?

Covered in Cameras

I really just like the looks a little better and it comes in KTM orange (so does the Nikon). Also I'm a Canon guy so it's hard for me to buy Nikon even though they make a great product.

CiD

I really just like the looks a little better and it comes in KTM orange (so does the Nikon). Also I'm a Canon guy so it's hard for me to buy Nikon even though they make a great product.

CiD

Yeah I like the KTM orange version too! On paper the Nikon looks like it edges out the Panasonic slightly but they are very close. Reviews on both are about equal and both seem to have their share of problems. The Nikon appears to have a seal integrity problem but I don't intend to submerge it intentionally. Most who had problems were doing underwater shots. It's really a coin toss. I need to go to a shop and put my hands on them.

I got the orange so I can find it easier on the trail should it dislodge itself.

I'd buy the one with the shortest focal legnth lens. For the kind of photography done for ride reports, it's far more useful that a longer lens.

I'd buy the one with the shortest focal legnth lens. For the kind of photography done for ride reports, it's far more useful that a longer lens.

They're both the same on the short end - 28mm. On the other end the Nikon goes to 140mm vs the 128mm on the Panasonic.

Abe's of Maine has the Panasonic for $265 with free shipping and no tax. They will try to upsale you with accessories and faster shipping but you can just tell them no.I've bought a couple of large flatscreen TV's from them with no problems.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PSDMCTS4O&id=PSDMCTS4O&l=SELLUP&kbid=life_a_beach

Covered in Dust

Abe's of Maine has the Panasonic for $265 with free shipping and no tax. They will try to upsale you with accessories and faster shipping but you can just tell them no.

and hope you have no warranty problems. I know CiD has had good experiences with these guys, but I don't reccommend them.

If you're not buying local, B&H has been my choice for many years.

I don't bother to carry a camera anymore......my Android phone takes "good enough" pics for forum postings.....

I don't bother to carry a camera anymore......my Android phone takes "good enough" pics for forum postings.....

The problem with a phone or non dust proof camera is getting to it. I don't take as many pictures with my Canon S90

because I have to open my tank bag, open my camera bag then take a picture. Then put it away. With a good dust proof

camera I can hang it on the shoulder strap from my back pack and reach for it whenever I want to take a picture, even while riding.

This way I'll never miss taking a good picture of someone's crash!

CiD

Your phone takes shitty pics, as do 98% of the other phones out there :)

Your phone takes shitty pics, as do 98% of the other phones out there :)

Calm down Frances :wacko::lol:

They may not be frame worthy but they're "good enough" for forum postings....and it's one less thing to carry......less IS more.....

IMAG0864.jpg

I bought the Panasonic TS-3. Nice to be able to go use in the water as well. No complaints as of yet, but limited use.

I finally tried the camera under water. This camera has proven rugged. I have dropped it and used in wet situations.

2011-09-26134018-1.jpg

2011-09-26144031.jpg

2011-09-26143926.jpg

I tried to post some videos, but could not separate a single video out from the entire albums. Maybe if I posted on youtube first?

Some pictures after to show it still worked.

2011-09-27111813.jpg

2011-09-29111522.jpg

So far I am impressed with the camera. I really like the fact it can go anywhere and I dont need to worry about it.

Glad it's working for you, Mike. The new Consumer Reports has it in the top 6 on a 5 point rating spread.

I finally tried the camera under water.

Right on nice shots! Looks like you're putting it to good use and family time. The first time I "dunked" my Canon into the water I'll admit, I think I said a little prayer.