TrophyHunter

Good Sunday Ride 12 - 2 = 10, + 2

Twelve riders arrived with their bikes at Starbucks, a few in trucks. One stayed in the truck but luckily the other one from that same truck got a flat. And we hadn't even left the parking lot. :king:

10 of us took of on the route thru Jamul, Proctor Valley Rd and up Otay Truck Trail. 2 luckily converted the map and had it on one phone so they stayred behind and fixed the flat. Saw them back at the finish line after lunch at Brody's in Jamul. Great burgers and 32 beers on tap.

Thx to Baldbeemer for sharing lead/sweep duties. We did part of Mother Grundy TT but I chose to get back to Honey Springs instead of continuing thru basically a residential neighborhood with dirt roads. The group had talked earlier and wanted to be good representatives of the motorcycling community. I think it was a good choice to not continue through with our mob.

It'll be a bit before I post pics since I have to figure out my new camera so for those that have something to say or pics to post......have at it. It was good meeting some new folks and seeing some I hadn't seen in over a year.

Gypsyfrog - hoping to see you.....sorry ya missed it.

Twelve riders arrived with their bikes at Starbucks, a few in trucks. One stayed in the truck but luckily the other one from that same truck got a flat. And we hadn't even left the parking lot. :king:

10 of us took of on the route thru Jamul, Proctor Valley Rd and up Otay Truck Trail. 2 luckily converted the map and had it on one phone so they stayred behind and fixed the flat. Saw them back at the finish line after lunch at Brody's in Jamul. Great burgers and 32 beers on tap.

Thx to Baldbeemer for sharing lead/sweep duties. We did part of Mother Grundy TT but I chose to get back to Honey Springs instead of continuing thru basically a residential neighborhood with dirt roads. The group had talked earlier and wanted to be good representatives of the motorcycling community. I think it was a good choice to not continue through with our mob.

It'll be a bit before I post pics since I have to figure out my new camera so for those that have something to say or pics to post......have at it. It was good meeting some new folks and seeing some I hadn't seen in over a year.

Gypsyfrog - hoping to see you.....sorry ya missed it.

Sounds like you guys had a good time i would have liked to go but church picnic this Sunday and camped off the bike Friday night and was a little tired when i got home Saturday. I'm in the market for a good sleeping bag mat now.

Sounds fun! Sorry to miss it. Ive been home long enough now to stop the celebrations....unsure.gif. Was all packed up and everything!

001.jpg

Heading into Proctor Valley

002.jpg

hodnettjj coming up Otay TT.

At Doghouse Junction

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Random shots...

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Co-leader & willing sweep - Baldbeemer. Thx Mike!

013.jpg

Great ride Ken! Thanks for planning. Enjoyed the burgers and beer at Brody's. Cheers!

David - it was great to see the Scrambler out there. Did well and can't beat it for style. Russel - you mentioned the seat on my bike & how comfortable it is...... Seat Concepts has one for your bike, too. They have dif foam densities so just call 'em if you're unsure. Mine was the firm.

Russel - you mentioned the seat on my bike & how comfortable it is...... Seat Concepts has one for your bike, too. They have dif foam densities so just call 'em if you're unsure. Mine was the firm.

Ok, I'll fess up. I'm the guy who learned the hard way to BE SURE to remember that key to the lock you put on your bike BEFORE leaving the house if you actually want to ride it. Yikes.

MUCH THANKS to Ken for the DR650 loaner. Very cool bike. It has a very planted feel to it. Maybe a lower CG than the XR400? Thanks for the tip on the Seat Concepts seat. Wish I'd found out about that 2 months ago when I recovered my seat.

Even though we never saw the group on the trail, it was a great ride on a typically beautiful San Diego day. One question....I took the google route from the original post and put a destination (D) on it where Brij and I ran into a locked gate:

http://goo.gl/maps/CGU5

Did you guys find another way up onto "Barber Mountain Rd, Forest Route 17S10"? We ended up doubling back from there onto Deerhorn Valley Rd to Holly Springs to Skyline back.

We turned left onto Deerhorn Valley Rd before we got to 17S10 thinking it was going to be more of the same ie riding through more residential area. By the map it looks like it might be a good ride after all ...until you hit the locked gate. I wonder if you took Barber Mt Rd from Deerhorn Valley Rd to get to this area.

Bummer about the key but Ken is the man loaning you one of his trusty steeds!

Hey...WAIT ONE MINUTE...is that a sissy bar on the Scambler?? laugh.gif

Thanks again Ken and Mike for a great ride!

Not sure what happened to Mike after leaving Brody's - I thought we were going to take surface streets back to hwy 8 to 67. We doubled back looking for Mike thinking his battery became an issue again but since he was gone we figured he was mobile and on his way home - hope so!

Ken thanks for posting the ride. I had a great time. It proved that A half a day on a motorcycle is a lot more fun than a full day on the couch.

post-14543-007547200 1340646990_thumb.jp

post-14543-078851700 1340647030_thumb.jp

post-14543-029023300 1340647056_thumb.jp

post-14543-042388600 1340647079_thumb.jp

Looks like a good ride and turnout.

I went street riding instead, because my 950 severely needs new chain, sprockets and oil change.

Arnie - I thought you might've been talking about Jason when you circled back. Mike was right behind you. A situation where hindsight really is 20/20... :lol:

Mike pulled into the Starbucks lot, waited for you a bit and headed out. Good on you and Kirk for lookin' out.

.....and again for the Brody's reminder. I don't know where they got their interior decorator, but whoever it was did a good job. :coolio:

Thanks again for setting up the ride Ken.

Good scenery and it was nice to meet you guys.

Leave no man behind. :)

On another note I fired off the dr tonight and went for the first ride in 11 years since this bike last ran. HOLY crap she ran like a raped ape! Front end came up each time I rolled it on hard...big difference from the klr.

Question about the Mother Grundy TT. Has any of you taken the Lucky Six TT from there. I've been eyeing that on the maps and wondered what it was like.

Thanks for putting the route together... The balance of dirt and my usual street routes on the drz were a blast.

I did however lose my spark arrester on Otay... Up to the first place we stopped.

I was thinking of heading back to that spot and look for it on Sunday...

Hey...WAIT ONE MINUTE...is that a sissy bar on the Scambler??

I resemble that remark! It is NOT a sissy bar. It's a Ventura rack. The larger bar that holds the big bag is removable.