Hey all, I have not owned a bike since I was in high school and will probably be pretty rusty but I am getting back into riding. Plan on picking up a used Dr350se this week. Hope to meet up with some of you on the trails soon!

From all who have had them, a great bike. Keep a watch for posted rides and join in the fun. There are plenty of easy to moderate dirt adventures around to get your dirt legs again,

Welcome!

Welcome aboard. Plenty of nice spring weather left for trail rides! See you on a ride sometime. B)

Another DR350 guy, allright! I have a couple of them in the garage now, good machines. If you need anything for yours, let me know....I might have a spare or two around here. Welcome to the group, see you on the trail.

welcome to SDAR.....and congrats on getting back to the dirt!!!

Great bike to start back into the sport, you will find a lot of people to ride with on this site. Welcome

welcome to the club... DR350 is a good "do anything" bike, and the electric start version is a bonus.

Just got done breathing life back in to a rust bucket 1993 K version; took it out on the street and remembered why I liked it so much. easy to flog

Join a ride, or post up one of your own

Picking the bike up today after work, can't wait! As far as gear goes, do most of you wear jerseys and pants or just regular clothing, and as far as armor goes, do you wear the thin mesh with some chest and back foam or do you get the plated armors? My first purchases are going to be Helmet, gloves and probably a neon vest or something, but i need to use the tax return to shop around before i waste it on something i don't need. =P

Motocross boots are a good investment for any type of riding that takes you off pavement, as are offroad pants with knee proyection, or at least knee guards over your regular jeans.

If ya feel comfortable with it - post up sizes needed and see if some of us can empty our garages/storage/etc by donating or selling cheap to your initial outfitting.....we will.

To answer your questions; All these things are personal choices of course.....just don't ask about oil or tires...:party:

Helmet had the 37 - just got the 39. Great value for the $$$

Elbow guards - or similar

Knee - Shin guards - or similar

Chest - style I wear. Some wear the "shirt" type but they can become warm during rides.

Pants and Jersey's ...or I just wear jeans and a t-shirt for mild DS or back road rides - always armored up though.

Jacket - versatile

Back roads & mild DS boot & Pumpkin Chaser boots

PM KTMrad about becoming a member and he may have information about SDAR benefits.

I'll second TrophyHunter's links as a good start, however I'd suggest that if you're going to spend more $$ on one item, don't skimp on the helmet. Especially if you're planning on highway riding out to the trail head. And for both helmets and boots I'd recommend going to a store and trying them on, boots tend to run narrow and everyone has a different shape head. Or just find a website with an awesome return policy. I like the chest protector, on top of getting hot during the summer, armor jerseys also tend to tear, and when it's shot, you have to replace the whole thing as opposed to just get new elbow pads, etc. one thing everyone left out was gloves, you can never have too many pairs.

and one more thing, when it comes to pants, be sure they go inside the boot (unless you don't have boots). I succumbed to my stylist's advice and went with an over-the-boot pant first -- big mistake. the extra material and weight becomes extremely cumbersome when moving through the brush, or trying to pick yourself back up after a fall.

For starting out, you don't need to spend $1000 on gear (unless you can or want to). A lot of stores have a basic starter package for around $250 that includes a helmet, jersey, gloves, pants and helmet. It's not top of the line stuff, but it'll get you going with a full set of gear and you can upgrade down the road. Cycle Parts West on El Cajon Blvd has some Oneal gear packages I think, and here is an oline deal.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/ocelot-super-package-deal/PK-12-OcelotSuper.aspx

For starting out, you don't need to spend $1000 on gear (unless you can or want to). A lot of stores have a basic starter package for around $250 that includes a helmet, jersey, gloves, pants and helmet. It's not top of the line stuff, but it'll get you going with a full set of gear and you can upgrade down the road. Cycle Parts West on El Cajon Blvd has some Oneal gear packages I think, and here is an oline deal.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/ocelot-super-package-deal/PK-12-OcelotSuper.aspx

wow, that's an awesome starter pack. if only the helmet was DOT.

Definitely check out cycle parts west. I'm in there all the time, right now they have a deals similar to that superpack tntmo posted. jersey, pants, gloves for $90; throw in boots and an helmet for a few more $$. worth a look.

wow, that's an awesome starter pack. if only the helmet was DOT.

Definitely check out cycle parts west. I'm in there all the time, right now they have a deals similar to that superpack tntmo posted. jersey, pants, gloves for $90; throw in boots and an helmet for a few more $$. worth a look.

The helmet is DOT approved. It's all basic stuff, nothing fancy and a lot of people may turn their noses up at it but it's better than no gear at all. Not everyone can afford a $400 helmet, $500 boots, etc.

Alright thanks guys, i will have to check out cycle parts west, i was going to order online but trying everything on sounds like a good idea, having gear that doesn't fit right can definitely take the fun out of just about anything. That whole set up looks like a good way to start and then i can just upgrade over the years. Any other local stores anyone can recommend? What is the closest legal trail to downtown san diego? i would like to atleast get on the dirt for an hour or so this weekend and get some practice in before starting up on rides. In cali we need a special offroad registration from the DMV right? Thanks again for all the advice!

Josh

In cali we need a special offroad registration from the DMV right?

Only if the bike isn't already plated for street.

Great link Tom! And CPW does have some deals.

Josh - from downtown - probably Proctor Valley Rd in Jamul (extremely mild) or even Otay Truck Trail is close to ride to... basically This ride without the extension to Julian.

I can pop out for a short ride and I'm on the way....if ya want.

I might like to do just a little dirt trail riding too, I'm pretty well booked but can put aside an hour or two on the weekend.

Alright picked the bike up last night, rode it around following the wife as we ran errands and what not, it seems to be running fine, but i am worried about the throttle sticking. It idles fine, but sometimes when i give it gas the throttle will stay at like 4-4.5k rpms for a while before dropping. It doesn't do it all the time though. i didnt get a chance to look at it last night after grocery shopping, but i am gonna take a look after work. Any ideas?

Alright picked the bike up last night, rode it around following the wife as we ran errands and what not, it seems to be running fine, but i am worried about the throttle sticking. It idles fine, but sometimes when i give it gas the throttle will stay at like 4-4.5k rpms for a while before dropping. It doesn't do it all the time though. i didnt get a chance to look at it last night after grocery shopping, but i am gonna take a look after work. Any ideas?

It's called hanging idle. Most common reason that happens is an air leak somewhere, so check your intake boot and air filter boot. Also look for broken, cracked or disconnected vacuum hoses on the carb. What year is the bike?