Riggerdan

Big bike adventure

I know there are more to choose from...

thought this was a pretty good video - they make the wheelies look so easy..............

All I know is that my 990 is really good off road and will put it to the test on the UTBDR this summer.

UTBDR

??

UTBDR - Utah Backcountry Discovery Route.

Mark Zuckerberg is your friend... :coolio:

laugh.gifohmy.gifcrazy.gif

No Contest! Do you want a Poser street bike or a Dirt Bike.

Quotes: " In the right hands" "When things go bad, they go bad quickly"

Question, How do you change the gear ratios on the street bikes?

Pretty straight forward review.

504499870_VA9Zy-L.jpg

laugh.gifohmy.gifcrazy.gif

No Contest! Do you want a Poser street bike or a Dirt Bike.

Quotes: " In the right hands" "When things go bad, they go bad quickly"

Question, How do you change the gear ratios on the street bikes?

Pretty straight forward review.

504499870_VA9Zy-L.jpg

Those KTM's are the best ADV dirt bikes for off road usage. I do though think that my Tiger 800XC is a better all around commuter and ADV. Depends if its going to be garaged and used on the weekends and for trips but if your going to rack up daily milage like i do with a 100 mile daily commute then the Tiger 800 XC makes more since. Theirs no one perfect bike it depends on how you use it. There are gives and takes in any decision. I do admit I'm a bit orange envious on the off road rides.

Don't be sold that KTM is the best "Adventure" off road bike out there. Brent and I just ripped through the Desert Dash Ride on two Adventure bikes. Brent was on a 990, and I was riding my Yamaha Super Tenere. Both were very close in comparison unless...the sand whoops got really big or you were road riding. We thought that the KTM was a little better when it got really rough, but the Yamaha was better on the road. They were too close to call under "normal" adventure riding terrain.

post-13612-039057300 1331072574_thumb.jp

Don't be sold that KTM is the best "Adventure" off road bike out there. Brent and I just ripped through the Desert Dash Ride on two Adventure bikes. Brent was on a 990, and I was riding my Yamaha Super Tenere. Both were very close in comparison unless...the sand whoops got really big or you were road riding. We thought that the KTM was a little better when it got really rough, but the Yamaha was better on the road. They were too close to call under "normal" adventure riding terrain.

Got any pictures of taking those big bikes through the squeeze?

Got any pictures of taking those big bikes through the squeeze?

1068243230_CVAMR-L.jpg

1068243684_FhAtb-L.jpg

photo credit to bagstr

I haven't ridden any of the other 'big' adventure bikes, so I really don't know how they compare.

Why they keep comparing the GSA to the 990 is crazy, the f800gs is more comparable. Every big bike has positives and negatives. It's not the bike it's the rider, You can take any of these bikes anywhere you want as long as you have the ability. post-14910-063059200 1331108286_thumb.jp

Of course, with "ability" anyone can ride a GS in, say, a trials competition.

But is it FUN? Is it FUN to ride challenging singletrack or deep sand for hours on a big bike? I suspect not- it's a chore. Sure, it has it's payoffs- scenery, etc.

But would my favorite terrain bring the biggest grins on a smaller bike?

Yeah, probably.

So for now, I have a smaller bike and a trailer.

Of course, with "ability" anyone can ride a GS in, say, a trials competition.

But is it FUN? Is it FUN to ride challenging singletrack or deep sand for hours on a big bike? I suspect not- it's a chore. Sure, it has it's payoffs- scenery, etc.

But would my favorite terrain bring the biggest grins on a smaller bike?

Yeah, probably.

So for now, I have a smaller bike and a trailer.

Trailer's are cheating in my opinion :bad: You can't take a trailer on the UTBDR. :crazy: I think of using a trailer kind of like drinking Mikes Hard Lemonade when everyone else has cracked open a beer. Sure its tasty but how many man points did you give up? I can see if for a enduro/dirtbike weekend out at Ocitillo but if you need a trailer its not ADV riding.

I can see if for a enduro/dirtbike weekend out at Ocitillo but if you need a trailer its not ADV riding.

Oh. Really?

Does riding the slab between San Diego and Vegas mean it's an ADV-worthy ride? If that's the barometer, I'll take the lower status.

Why they keep comparing the GSA to the 990 is crazy

They're just comparing the biggest KTM to the biggest BMW, seems logical enough although they are quite different machines.

...but if you need a trailer its not ADV riding.

The ADV is whatever you make it :). That is different for everyone and is very subjective.

I 'trailer' both my bikes to almost every ride because I dislike pavement (unless im on my R6) but I still consider my big bike an ADV bike, heck, it's even named that ;P (KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure)

I don't even think its worth discussing, it's kinda like, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', it's very different for everyone.

In the words of the famous poet, Sir Christopher Crawford, Duke of Chutney, 'Let's Ride!'

...but if you need a trailer its not ADV riding.

The ADV is whatever you make it :). That is different for everyone and is very subjective.

I 'trailer' both my bikes to almost every ride because I dislike pavement (unless im on my R6) but I still consider my big bike an ADV bike, heck, it's even named that ;P (KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure)

I don't even think its worth discussing, it's kinda like, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', it's very different for everyone.

In the words of the famous poet, Sir Christopher Crawford, Duke of Chutney, 'Let's Ride!'

To each his own. There is really a distinction between ADV riding and weekend enduro thrashing. I can maybe understand trailering to another state but trailering to corral canyon from San Diego? While it certainly maybe a fun enduro ride its not really ADV.

I think the 950/990 KTM's are about as heavy as you want to get with a real ADVbike where you're going to use it a lot off-road.

My friend Maddog Mike has done some pretty gnarly stuff on his GS1200, but he's an exception to the norm.

Look at the first few posts IN THIS LINK to see what you can really do with a big bike, if you really want to. I love the challenge of the big bike, and ride it more than my little bike...which ain't so litte -- KTM 640 LC4.

I think the 950/990 KTM's are about as heavy as you want to get with a real ADVbike where you're going to use it a lot off-road.

My friend Maddog Mike has done some pretty gnarly stuff on his GS1200, but he's an exception to the norm.

Look at the first few posts IN THIS LINK to see what you can really do with a big bike, if you really want to. I love the challenge of the big bike, and ride it more than my little bike...which ain't so litte -- KTM 640 LC4.

That's pretty true for most. I'm a fan of the 800CC bikes for myself and how i ride but i do appreciate a KTM 990 more than a GSA.

In looking at big bikes, I always assumed the 990 was lighter and more nimble than the R1200GS. Both cut and pasted from the factory websites.

Here is the 990 weight: Weight without fuel, approx. 209.5 kg (461.9 lb.)

Here is the R1200GS weight: Dry weight: 461 lbs

I was amazed to see how close they were in weight. I never knew. The 990 felt so much lighter than the GS. But then again, my WR250R also feels lighter than the pig it is at 300 lbs.

In looking at big bikes, I always assumed the 990 was lighter and more nimble than the R1200GS. Both cut and pasted from the factory websites.

Here is the 990 weight: Weight without fuel, approx. 209.5 kg (461.9 lb.)

Here is the R1200GS weight: Dry weight: 461 lbs

I was amazed to see how close they were in weight. I never knew. The 990 felt so much lighter than the GS. But then again, my WR250R also feels lighter than the pig it is at 300 lbs.

I don't believe that BMW 1200GS weight for a minute. In one of the F800GS VS Tiger 800XC articles the mag reviewers determined that BMW way low balled the weight figures of the F800GS. I imagine they did the same thing for the 1200GS. Here Motorcycle consumer news placed the wet weight at 535 lbs. http://mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010JulyBMWGS.pdf.

I would agree with you, I it has to do more with the rider, because today almost all the bikes that are being made in this category as a big Adventure bike are quality. Brent did tell me though that the KTM comes with a better suspension setup for the off road compared with others bikes at this level . I would listen to Brent from Motoworld because he is one darn good rider who has spent most of his time racing bikes, and he just took the KTM through the whole DD two weeks ago, and I mean the whole thing.

Why they keep comparing the GSA to the 990 is crazy, the f800gs is more comparable. Every big bike has positives and negatives. It's not the bike it's the rider, You can take any of these bikes anywhere you want as long as you have the ability. post-14910-063059200 1331108286_thumb.jp

I would agree with you, I it has to do more with the rider, because today almost all the bikes that are being made in this category as a big Adventure bike are quality. Brent did tell me though that the KTM comes with a better suspension setup for the off road compared with others bikes at this level . I would listen to Brent from Motoworld because he is one darn good rider who has spent most of his time racing bikes, and he just took the KTM through the whole DD two weeks ago, and I mean the whole thing.

All of the adventure bikes are very good. They all offer different options for different riders and are each very heavy. I don't think that they are exceptional at any one riding condition, but they are decent at most. It is survival when the sand gets soft...but a fun challenge. Challenge is the keyword. It will be more fun next year on my xr650r

Just to add my opinions. Not like many of you have not heard this on many of the longer rides I have done.

- A good ride leaves you exhausted at the end of the day.

or

- A true adventure is not always fun while it is happening.

I enjoy a challenge but having someone hand you a beer at the end of the day and say "Whoa, I did not think you could ride a bike like that through what we went through." Sometimes my GSAdv is the best tool for the ride, even if there are sections that take hours to work through.

Then again, I love my XRR and WRR but neither is going to support two to three riders on a two month ride.

From what i've seen the KTM's are better in the rough stuff than the Tigers or BMW's BUT they require more maintenance and have to remove stuff like plastics just to do an oil change (is that true?). So I'll stick with my very much loved Tigger:) 650's to small and 1200's to big but 800's just right :coolio:

'